Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jflee66 View Post
    What we need is a new GM who gives us a winning record every year. He has to take us to the playoffs every year and he has to take us to the SB during a lot of those years. I'm in..... where is he at?
    There seem to be a lot of "Fans" in your camp...
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post
    There seem to be a lot of "Fans" in your camp...
    Please be mindful of questioning anyone’s fandom, regardless of agreeing or disagreeing with comments posted. People aren’t more or less of a fan based on where they stand on any topic. Putting fans in quotes implies some are “so called” fans.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    David Williams was a 7th round pick last year who is currently a free agent.

Sam Jones was a 6th round pick last year who is currently on Arizona's PS.
    Correct. But that is part of the issue. If we are not drafting well and getting true NFL caliber starters via the draft and we are not bringing in true NFL caliber starting FA's then we are not going to get back to "winning now and from now on".

I'd even go as far as to say I am not seeing a true plan. For example if we went with a model with a mediocre QB but a great OL and great D then I'd say at least we had a plan. Alternatively we could go 100 percent offense like in 2013 with an average defense...even though we've seen this fail at least it is a plan. Since our drafts from 2012 to 2017 are less than stellar...we lack talent. Couple the lack of talent and what is clear to me as a lack of clear and true direction...that is why we are where we are.

When you look at what we did in 2014 and 2015 we were operating with a clear and set plan. Get nasty on Defense and stay competent on offense. That is a direction...a clear plan to be executed. We landed a SB as a result. Even if we were to operate with a similar direction we completely failed to plan and identify the players we needed to retool what was once a historic defense. We have also failed miserably to "recreate" a similarly built team to that of 2015.

IMO - we really need to acquire a bunch of picks and do our very best to get and target "top shelf" talent in the draft that fits a clear team and organizational direction.
    Last edited by Rich_C; 09-28-2019 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    Correct. But that is part of the issue. If we are not drafting well and getting true NFL caliber starters via the draft and we are not bringing in true NFL caliber starting FA's then we are not going to get back to "winning now and from now on".

I'd even go as far as to say I am not seeing a true plan. For example if we went with a model with a mediocre QB but a great OL and great D then I'd say at least we had a plan...did it but it didn't work. Alternatively we could go 100 percent offense like in 2013 with an average defense....again though I have not seen a real plan with our FAs or drafting. Since our drafts from 2012 to 2017 are less than stellar...we lack talent.
    The plan is to throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks. It would have made more sense to just save some money and stick with Keenum for initial starter. Then Drew Lock could take over around week 5. More on the QBs, we should have given Lock every single snap with the #2s. We wasted ~40% of those on a guy who can't even make a practice squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    The plan is to throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks. It would have made more sense to just save some money and stick with Keenum for initial starter. Then Drew Lock could take over around week 5. More on the QBs, we should have given Lock every single snap with the #2s. We wasted ~40% of those on a guy who can't even make a practice squad.
    Hind sight. We all knew Lock was to sit 1 year to work on establishing proper footwork and such. The plan was for Flacco to capitalize on throwing the deep ball. The plan was for Hogan to receive 2nd string reps so he could be prepared to seize the back up roll. The plan was sound and set. It was Hogan's failure to capitalize. Thus, we are were we are. { Bolles effect }

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    I will not slam our FO for bringing in Rypien or pushing Hogan. In fact there approach was exactly what I wanted them to do when we had Sloter. We truly don't know what we have in Lock either and to be blunt Flacco even though he is looking better than Case is still not spectacular. IMO wed be in a good spot if we brought Sloter back and looked to move Flacco. We need draft capital because it is clear we need to draft talent.
    Last edited by Rich_C; 09-28-2019 at 11:16 AM.

What is this fascination with Sloter lol. I need another homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by orange crush75 View Post
    Lol 😂. Dude never took a regular season snap in Denver and he’s a legend.

He actually was fun to watch play, unlike every other qb that has walked through the doors. Unfortunately there must be a serious disconnect from his preseason play to his chances of getting on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    He actually was fun to watch play, unlike every other qb that has walked through the doors. Unfortunately there must be a serious disconnect from his preseason play to his chances of getting on the field.

The difference between playing scrubs in the forth quarter and playing against players who actually make the squad

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Please be mindful of questioning anyone’s fandom, regardless of agreeing or disagreeing with comments posted. People aren’t more or less of a fan based on where they stand on any topic. Putting fans in quotes implies some are “so called” fans.
    The thread topic is specific regarding "Fans" classification (camp) given the current state of freefall in Broncos Country. My comment was directed at jflee's spot on assessment of what some "Fans" seem to expect. It was brilliant! If I meant "So called Fans", I think i would have just said it. As most on here know,I keep it positive.

Respectfully, in my book, either you're a fan or your not. Thank You John Elway!
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post
    The thread topic is specific regarding "Fans" classification (camp) given the current state of freefall in Broncos Country. My comment was directed at jflee's spot on assessment of what some "Fans" seem to expect. It was brilliant! If I meant "So called Fans", I think i would have just said it. As most on here know,I keep it positive.

Respectfully, in my book, either you're a fan or your not. Thank You John Elway!
    I expect a GM who can rebuild a team capable of winning consistently. Not a GM who can catch lightening in a bottle once, followed by collapse. If some fans believe consistency is unrealistic they may have overlooked the Seattle Seahawks. I appreciate everything Elway accomplished early as a GM. Early success was followed by a series of poor drafts, mismanaged contracts and bad coaching decisions. Those mistakes have been observed and written about by people outside the fan base. Hopefully things will turnaround soon.

I'm in the camp of yes Elway has SOME fault in this as well as coaching the last couple of years . Dont forget it wasnt Elway who wanted VJ , he wanted Shanahan but Ellis got his way. I also put blame on the scouts . Elway doesnt do all the scouting and drafting as some of you think. There are 32 teams and we've had better years then a lot of them. I put blame where blame is due . Mostly on the players . They are the ones responsible for the way they play. Does Elway have fault yes of course but my question to you who want him gone is , who do you want to replace him?

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Lol 😂. Dude never took a regular season snap in Denver and he’s a legend.
    I do not have a fascination with Sloter I do have a fascination with what he represented.

Our FO clearly didn't have a good plan. They clearly also had an even worse plan at the QB position. Sloter represented and admittedly idealistic point of view of acquiring, developing and improving.

Now Sloter for me DID show enough to warrant sticking on our roster. We fast forward to this season and I see many of the same issues we had then. Rightly or wrongly I see that as a problem.

I'm in the camp of yes Elway has SOME fault in this as well as coaching the last couple of years . Dont forget it wasnt Elway who wanted VJ , he wanted Shanahan but Ellis got his way. I also put blame on the scouts . Elway doesnt do all the scouting and drafting as some of you think. There are 32 teams and we've had better years then a lot of them. I put blame where blame is due . Mostly on the players . They are the ones responsible for the way they play. Does Elway have fault yes of course but my question to you who want him gone is , who do you want to replace him?
    Your correct but the coaches are also responsible sibley for the WAY they position the players on the field. For example if you have a quick shifty WR the having a slow CB is not the best coverage option. If that is you're only option then it is on the coach and not the player to alter the scheme and approach for coverage.

Fast forward to this year. We played the Raiders in off coverage. We gave their WRs about 3 to 5 yards of cushion. Then we were shocked when they ate us alive with quick throws and easy 5 to 7 yard gains. Sure some of our players needed to play better but a good portion of that was not on the players it is on the coaching staff not adapting the scheme to fit the players on the roster or calling the right style of coverage.