View Poll Results: Would you play Drew Lock when healthy ?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    47 65.28%
  • No

    25 34.72%
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 154
  1. #136
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,669
    Quote Originally Posted by crabcruncher View Post
    He is still not going anywhere. Those calling for Lock are strictly fanboys, who if it were left to them, would create turmoil and chaos on a developing team.
    Elway knows that if he started Lock over Flacco, there is no going back. Flacco would be traded or released.
    Flacco is playing well, and the Broncos are getting better each week.
    Calm down.
    Um.. Joe is doing Joe like things. He throws a decent deep ball every so often but overall he is holding the ball for far too long and it is causing plays to NOT be made. In addition because he is not a mobile guy other plays which other QBs can make he simply cannot.

    Even 8f we were to somehow win more games this year then we lose. As an organization we cannot be OK with that. We've tried various aging and stop gap QBs. We've lost ALOT. We will be better off letting talent develop and see how it works out. The last ranking I saw we pick 2nd. We've yet to play the chargers or the Chiefs....it is fair to expect us to round out the bottom 5 again at least. Simply because we've really not done the right things to address the important issues on our team

  2. #137
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    DENVER
    Posts
    7,500
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    Um.. Joe is doing Joe like things. He throws a decent deep ball every so often
    First sentence yes, second sentence no, not really. The primary bulk of his efficiency and overall numbers are coming on passes short of 5 yards.

    Of passes over 5 yards, he is completing 50.7%. That's good for 30th in the league.

    He's not doing it often, either, throwing the ball beyond 5 yards on 45.2% of his passing attempts. Good for 32nd in the league.

    If we stretch it a little more, he is throwing the ball beyond 15 yards on 12.16% of his throws, that's 4th worst in the league.

    But, that is right in line with your first statement: "Joe is doing Joe like things". He has been a checkdown machine for a long time now. It's been a major factor in Baltimore's offensive woes and now our own.

  3. #138
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,388
    Bottom line is Flacco isnít the future. This team has been on a downhill trend for several seasons partially due to the aged FA QB strategy. itís time to give up the band aid QB approach and start giving our young QBs a shot. This team has been notorious for hiding their young QBs on the bench. Itís simply time to find our franchise guy.

    On a side note, I notice nobody is calling for Allen to start, so itís not like the fan base is calling for him to get benched in favor of Allen.

    Flacco is performing like a vet FA QB. Heís been basically par, IMO. This team is not built to win with a game manager QB. Letís get some young blood out there. Lock needs to get out there as soon as heís off IR.

  4. #139
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,669
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    First sentence yes, second sentence no, not really. The primary bulk of his efficiency and overall numbers are coming on passes short of 5 yards.

    Of passes over 5 yards, he is completing 50.7%. That's good for 30th in the league.

    He's not doing it often, either, throwing the ball beyond 5 yards on 45.2% of his passing attempts. Good for 32nd in the league.

    If we stretch it a little more, he is throwing the ball beyond 15 yards on 12.16% of his throws, that's 4th worst in the league.

    But, that is right in line with your first statement: "Joe is doing Joe like things". He has been a checkdown machine for a long time now. It's been a major factor in Baltimore's offensive woes and now our own.
    No where in what I said did I say he was throwing deep all the time. I said he is throwing g a decent deep ball every so often. I suppose I should have elaborated and also said then there are the rest of his deep ball attempts which are a horror movie.

    If we are truly going to co.e down on Joe...his big issue is TTT. He simply holds the ball too long. He is not processing and throwing good passes fast enough.

  5. #140
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13,978
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    once again the dated thinking of the nfl has meant wasted off-seasons for multiple teams already, where teams have wasted reps on veteran quarterbacks who were never part of the long term plan, when confidence, chemistry, and learning could have been invested into young quarterbacks leading into their rookie seasons.

    Year after year we see coaches decide to start the season with the veteran quarterback despite the young guy, the rookie, or the prospect on the sideline having to wait until plan a fails, which, it always does. We are approaching the end of the first month of the season, and look, new york have moved on from eli manning to go with the rookie daniel jones, the redskins are within a few weeks of doing the same with how keenum just played, and the question begs, if denver keep losing, will drew lock see the field once healthy ?

    We seen it last year, cleveland done it with tyrod taylor and baker mayfield, the bills done it with nathan petermen and josh allen, the jets done it with josh mccown and sam darnold, the ravens done it with joe flacco and lamar jackson, and the cardinals done it with sam bradford and josh rosen. We seen it the year before as well, the bears done it with mike glennon and mitchell trubisky, the chiefs done it with alex smith and patrick mahomes, the texans done it with tom savage and deshaun watson, and we will continue to see it happen.

    I think flacco can still play, i think he can keep us competitive, but just like every other situation above, the inevitable is that we will go with the young guy at some point, so why wait ? Drew lock isn't healthy right now, but when he is i would throw him into the fire. It obviously wont happen, coaches seem to prefer to ride the veteran into the ground until it's too late, but all of these young quarterbacks recently are bucking the dated notion that they need to wait to develop. If the guy can play, he will learn and improve at a rapid rate by playing, not sitting behind a veteran who isn't anything more than mediocre.

    I like joe, but when drew is healthy would you play him ?
    And here we are again, unfortunately

  6. #141
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    892
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    And here we are again, unfortunately
    The true problem is, because we keep using Manning as a measuring stick, we never give a rookie quarterback time to develop before we get an avalanche of "Is he really the future?" threads. There is absolutely no patience in our fan base for any type of development because the "Win Now" mentality still persists. That same mentality that got us to where we are today. It's just an observation and completely understandable given how this franchise has transformed since the McDaniels years. Just the hard truth for some.
    I believe.

  7. #142
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Anywhere I want on 18 wheels
    Posts
    8,510
    Quote Originally Posted by XterraRob View Post
    The true problem is, because we keep using Manning as a measuring stick, we never give a rookie quarterback time to develop before we get an avalanche of "Is he really the future?" threads. There is absolutely no patience in our fan base for any type of development because the "Win Now" mentality still persists. That same mentality that got us to where we are today. It's just an observation and completely understandable given how this franchise has transformed since the McDaniels years. Just the hard truth for some.
    The problem isnít the fan base. Itís the GM and his attempt to ďwin from now onĒ. Itís also his desire to live in the past with what used to work instead of hiring the right coach and letting him and his staff figure out what will work. Elway wants too much control over the on field product.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wonít Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

  8. #143
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13,978
    Quote Originally Posted by XterraRob View Post
    The true problem is, because we keep using Manning as a measuring stick, we never give a rookie quarterback time to develop before we get an avalanche of "Is he really the future?" threads. There is absolutely no patience in our fan base for any type of development because the "Win Now" mentality still persists. That same mentality that got us to where we are today. It's just an observation and completely understandable given how this franchise has transformed since the McDaniels years. Just the hard truth for some.
    Not true. No matter how many threads are created, no matter what the fans think, it has absolutely nothing at all to do with the incompetence of this front office, and the decisions that have been made when it comes to picking quarterbacks. The fans have every right to be in this "win now" mentality, because the General Manager Mr. Elway is. When Elway is going after mediocre re-tread quarterbacks, year after year, he is implying that the rest of the roster is there to compete, but that is not true, and the writing has been on the wall and ignored for years now, this thing needs a complete re-build.

    I said it in the off-season after the Flacco move, if we miss the playoffs after going down the mediocre veteran re-tread path again, Elway should be fired, and I'm now firmly in that camp. We have wasted another year, and failed to develop anyone at the quarterback position. I would of been fine with a 4-12 record this season, if it meant committing to trying to develop Lock from day 1, but we didn't, and Elway tried to slap a band-aid on this thing again, and again, he failed. Will there be another Peyton Manning out there to come along and save the day ? I doubt it, and my faith in Elway is all gone now, and I wish he was too.

  9. #144
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by XterraRob View Post
    The true problem is, because we keep using Manning as a measuring stick, we never give a rookie quarterback time to develop before we get an avalanche of "Is he really the future?" threads. There is absolutely no patience in our fan base for any type of development because the "Win Now" mentality still persists. That same mentality that got us to where we are today. It's just an observation and completely understandable given how this franchise has transformed since the McDaniels years. Just the hard truth for some.
    I agree. The fan base expects to be a top team every year. It's a great concept but really unrealistic considering the NFL. It's seems they think they can go out and pick anyone at anytime and play em. The timing of drafting players and the cap are tough to balance. Not to mention injuries. I wondered what if, every team could use hind sight to draft players. Given parity in the league would the NFL be basicly the same. A lot of the players that don't pan out are usually rated high by the pros like Kyper and Mayock. We've been lucky this decade and I believe 2020 we will be in the top half of the NFL again.
    Last edited by jflee66; 11-26-2019 at 09:58 PM.

  10. #145
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    10,767
    Quote Originally Posted by jflee66 View Post
    I agree. The fan base expects to be a top team every year. It's a great concept but really unrealistic considering the NFL. It's seems they think they can go out and pick anyone at anytime and play em. The timing of drafting players and the cap are tough to balance. Not to mention injuries. I wondered what if, every team could use hind sight to draft players. Given parity in the league would the NFL be basicly the same. A lot of the players that don't pan out are usually rated high by the pros like Kyper and Mayock. We've been lucky this decade and I believe 2020 we will be in the top half of the NFL again.
    The same Mike Mayock who, in one year led the Raiders past the Broncos in the AFC West.

  11. #146
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    10,322
    Quote Originally Posted by XterraRob View Post
    The true problem is, because we keep using Manning as a measuring stick, we never give a rookie quarterback time to develop before we get an avalanche of "Is he really the future?" threads. There is absolutely no patience in our fan base for any type of development because the "Win Now" mentality still persists. That same mentality that got us to where we are today. It's just an observation and completely understandable given how this franchise has transformed since the McDaniels years. Just the hard truth for some.
    What rookie QBís do you speak of? They played Siemien for two seasons and he wasnít the guy. They wouldnít play Lynch and when they did he sucked. Osweiler chose a different path for himself and he flamed out. Case was a starter elsewhere as was Flacco. Now we have another rookie a-la Lynch that there seems to be no real plan for. They are in prime position to start the future now but the lack of enthusiasm gives fans every right to say here we go again. The team actually has to have a plan to develop a guy before you can say fans poo poo the development of a guy. Plenty of people here are clamoring for a rebuild which obviously requires patience.

  12. #147
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    411
    Lock's the most talented QB the Broncos have right now. Period. He has more talent than Allen and way more than Rypien. Sure, he's a little rough in some areas, he's a rookie, they all have holes in their game. But if he's healthy, they need to be starting him. Yep, it's going to be rough going, their OLine is swiss cheese and who knows if their OC can handle the job yet. BUT, that's what Lock will have to deal with. It's all part of the learning process. But Lock has the talent to be a very good NFL QB, if he's developed properly. Just like every new, raw QB talent.

  13. #148
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Bear Valley in The 5280
    Posts
    13,586
    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoFanDK View Post
    There was a reason that David Carr was drafted where he was and Lock in the middle of the 2nd round.
    Lock did not seem accurate in his college highlights, nor at the combine nor in preseason. It is a question how he will handle pressure, but in the end I am sure he will get to play if we dig to deep a hole. What speaks against it is that Elway will easily loose his job if Lock stinks.

    What Elway did the first 5 years was stellar in most peoples eyes, but the big question is what could have been if we had a better coach than John Fox and we did not have the VJ detour, and now maybe also a Fangio detour. The supposed strength of our HC and the spending on the team in both draft capital and money, says that we should have an absolutely dominating defense, and that is not what Elway is getting for the money.
    Goodness if only your statement were true.
    lol Could this be the reasoning as to why there has been a delay in starting Drew Lock?

    Iíve been telling folks all season that if the broncos lost 10 games or more, John would step down.
    He was traveling around the country endorsing his pharmaceutical ads earlier this season which may have seemed as if he was planning to go off to bigger better things! (Yeah sure)

    However at this point in time, Iím not so sure that he does step down. Heíd be leaving this this franchise in a dire mess that he ALONE created, which would never fall off his record or leave his reputation as a pro.

    Iím hoping he does steps down immediately at seasons because itís the thing to do but after all this garbage, I think the man is to arrogant and prideful to do such thing.
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 11-27-2019 at 07:45 AM.

  14. #149
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    The same Mike Mayock who, in one year led the Raiders past the Broncos in the AFC West.
    Yes, he's the GM who drafted Ferrell at #4 this year.

  15. #150
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    1,344
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    Not true. No matter how many threads are created, no matter what the fans think, it has absolutely nothing at all to do with the incompetence of this front office, and the decisions that have been made when it comes to picking quarterbacks. The fans have every right to be in this "win now" mentality, because the General Manager Mr. Elway is. When Elway is going after mediocre re-tread quarterbacks, year after year, he is implying that the rest of the roster is there to compete, but that is not true, and the writing has been on the wall and ignored for years now, this thing needs a complete re-build.

    I said it in the off-season after the Flacco move, if we miss the playoffs after going down the mediocre veteran re-tread path again, Elway should be fired, and I'm now firmly in that camp. We have wasted another year, and failed to develop anyone at the quarterback position. I would of been fine with a 4-12 record this season, if it meant committing to trying to develop Lock from day 1, but we didn't, and Elway tried to slap a band-aid on this thing again, and again, he failed. Will there be another Peyton Manning out there to come along and save the day ? I doubt it, and my faith in Elway is all gone now, and I wish he was too.
    I'm confused as to what you mean here.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •