Are You A Giver Or A Taker?

I know this is a complex question, and it would be fair to say that bias may be a factor.

I like to think I give more, but you'd have ask family, friends and associates to answer that one....and even then, they may not know some things. We have choices, and we make decisions, hundreds a day, and only we know for sure if the route we took was more for selfish reasons, or for the good of others....or a combination. I like to think we can be a bit selfish while helping others.

Here's an example of the choices we make. Living in a condo, where utilities are shared and divided by a factor of square footage. Because one pays a constant monthly fee, no matter the usage, should the best decision be to try to minimize the utilities we use, or just do as we feel. Should we use A/C instead of closing the blinds when it's sunny? Should we let the water run and run and run? Should we neglect caulking, given it will create heat/cool loss?

The truth is, in the above example(s), if everyone in that condo tried to reduce their individual usage, everyone's monthly fee would decrease. But in my opinion, the givers will be wise, whereas the takers will abuse, even though their actions will eventually cause all fees to increase.

Generally in life, do we measure how our actions affect others, the environment, and so? We can help so many others, in so many ways, and still have fantastic lives of our own. As for the environment, for example, why is it that some have no concern when they litter, when someone else will have to pick it up....or perhaps an animal might be injured when they consume? These are very basic points of discussion, but are just a mini glance at what we confront nearly every day....opportunities to do the right thing, for unselfish reasons.

I am not going to go into great depth on any of this (definitely not climate), but being a giver means we must sacrifice from time to time, or at least think things out before proceeding. I have my many weak spots, from a selfish perspective, but generally when I see a person in need, I try to help. Good upbringing I suppose. But I can name too many things that would describe me better as a bit of a taker. Overall, and it's just my best guess, I give more.

Whereas I live with a person who is absolutely a "Giver". She is one of the most unselfish people I have ever met, and very possibly #1. She thinks about herself after she thinks of her family and friends. Yet if you asked her, she would tell you different.

Try to be more of a giver. Try to weigh consequences before taking action. Selfish may feel good for a while, but in the long run it will not go too far, and someday may haunt you, for not being a better person.

Hey....just suggesting. Life is not easy. As long as we try, that's a great place to start! And yah, next time you want that last slice of pizza, look around the table and perhaps let someone more deserving have a shot at it.

I "take" it this is not that interesting. No biggee, I "give" that to you. It's a give and take world.

You gotta take some to give some.
    2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Houshmazode View Post
    You gotta take some to give some.
    Wonder if I can explain my behaviour that way the next time I'm at the bank?

Bless The Broncos....so far they are Givers!!