Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Tua Tagovailoa

Quote Originally Posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
    Last season, he posted a 199.4 passer rating, the BEST in college football history, breaking previous records held by Russell Wilson and Baker Mayfield.

This season (prior to injury), he was on pace to break his OWN record with a 206.9 passer rating.

These aren’t fluke stats, and while Tua has been surrounded by supreme talent, he’s been consistently efficient and elite against top tier competition in the SEC. And if you’re doubting his football IQ and claiming that he’s merely a chucker... I point you to his 2nd half against LSU this year.
    His second half against LSU actually helps my argument. One touchdown was a short pass where the WR did all of the work to go on a long run for the TD. And then him throwing it deep and his receivers making plays.

Against Top 25 teams his QB rating drops to 167.7, his accuracy drops to 56.8%, against LSU he was 21/40. Although it's a small sample size of only 2 games, it says more than his 276.7 QB rating against UL Monroe.

He's a good college QB playing with the most talented (or at worst top 3 most talented) team in the country, and in almost every single game, every season he's had way more talent to work with than the opposition against him. He accumulates stats against bad teams (as he should) and then struggles against teams that have players closer in talent level to his own team. That's a big sign that he's going to struggle in the NFL.

As for his QB rating, that stat needs some explanation, since 6 of the top 12 ever recorded in an NCAA season have been recorded in 2019. So obviously efficiency has gone way up recently. Also note that the year Russell Wilson set the record, RGIII was right behind him and also broke the previous record. So NCAA efficiency may not be a strong indicator of future NFL performance. Frankly if you go through the top 25 of all-time and take out the current NCAA QBs you'll realize that of the remaining QBs exactly 1 of them turned out to be a quality passing QB in the NFL over multiple years, with the jury being out on K.Murray and Mayfield at this point.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...er-season.html

Watching him in the SEC for 2 years, hes good but he is highly overrated. Burrow would be my dream choice, Id even take Hurts or maybe even Herbert over Tua. Hes soft. Not to mention hes had world class wideouts and an excellent RB making him look good.

Also, his injuries are going to be a problem throughout his career.

After yesterday, I'm hoping "QB" is no longer a need for us.

Special thanks to Sam_Z for the SB rings collage above

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoTiger7 View Post
    Watching him in the SEC for 2 years, hes good but he is highly overrated. Burrow would be my dream choice, Id even take Hurts or maybe even Herbert over Tua. Hes soft. Not to mention hes had world class wideouts and an excellent RB making him look good.

Also, his injuries are going to be a problem throughout his career.
    How is tua soft. How many injuries has he played through. I am sure some of those injuries other people wouldn't have played though. Tua is a tough kid calling him soft is just looking for an excuse to not like him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    How is tua soft. How many injuries has he played through. I am sure some of those injuries other people wouldn't have played though. Tua is a tough kid calling him soft is just looking for an excuse to not like him.
    Hes not soft but hes brittle. It's always been the knock on small running qbs at the next level. Hes not at the next level and hes already showing it. Why its different for Jackson (whose barely considered short for a QB) and Wilson is they are better at preventing those kind of hits at occurring. He tries to take on those kind of hits for extra yards.
    Last edited by Joshecalpoly; 12-02-2019 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshecalpoly View Post
    Hes not soft but hes brittle. It's always been the knock on small running qbs at the next level. Hes not at the next level and hes already showing it. Why its different for Jackson (whose barely considered short for a QB) and Wilson is they are better at preventing those kind of hits at occurring. He tries to take on those kind of hits for extra yards.
    i think you can argue that can be coached a bit and bama has bad traditionally coaching for QB. i still really like his attitude and the way he plays the game. he needs to refine his game and probably staying a year would be the best option for him. i am also a big believe that every QB benefits from staying in school and getting more practice at there craft. plus QB takes some time ot mature and grow into a leader. which tua personality already has. if he droped out of the first i would be disapointed if we don't take him, but i really feel we need O-line Early and often this next draft.

oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    i think you can argue that can be coached a bit and bama has bad traditionally coaching for QB. i still really like his attitude and the way he plays the game. he needs to refine his game and probably staying a year would be the best option for him. i am also a big believe that every QB benefits from staying in school and getting more practice at there craft. plus QB takes some time ot mature and grow into a leader. which tua personality already has. if he droped out of the first i would be disapointed if we don't take him, but i really feel we need O-line Early and often this next draft.
    If we do not fix our O line now Lock may not develop properly. No matter the weapons around him. It would be unfair to ask any QB to get behind this O line regularly. We need at the very least a better LT (especially if we move our current LT in at G and manage to keep our C), but also need depth especially in case we need to make adjustments.