Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Broncos will exercise 2020 option on Von Millerís contract

The Broncos donít have to make a decision on exercising their option on linebacker Von MillerĎs 2020 contract until March, but they arenít going to keep anyone in suspense until then.

General Manager John Elway said on Monday that the team will exercise the option that guarantees $6 million of Millerís $17.5 million base salary for next season.

Miller had eight sacks this season, which is the least heís posted since he had five in nine games during the 2013 season. Elway said he thought Miller closed the season well ó he had a sack in Sundayís win over the Raiders ó and is capable of doing more for the team next season

ďVon played very well [against Oakland] and heís going to get better and I think Von still has a lot of football in him ó a lot,Ē Elway said, via the Denver Post. ďI would say that I think he can still play better than he played this year. I would tell that to him in my office. He cares about it and thatís the key.Ē

Miller expressed frustrations with the Broncosí losing record in recent years near the end of the season, but later made it clear that he wants to be part of turning things around. It seems the Broncos are on the same page.
    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Yep he also said denver will be right back in it next year.

Weíve just got to get better a long that offensive line.

Good,

I'm tired of some folks here ALWAYS wanting to get rid of our best & proven players just cause they had a down year and/or are on the 'wrong side' of 30, yet still productive.

I also hope we keep Justin Simmons, Derek Wolfe, Shelby Harris and even Chris Harris, Jr. for that matter because I think he's still much better than what would probably be his replacement(s) if we stayed in-house.

Special thanks to Sam_Z for the SB rings collage above

Quote Originally Posted by Mel B. View Post
    Good,

I'm tired of some folks here ALWAYS wanting to get rid of our best & proven players just cause they had a down year and/or are on the 'wrong side' of 30, yet still productive.

I also hope we keep Justin Simmons, Derek Wolfe, Shelby Harris and even Chris Harris, Jr. for that matter because I think he's still much better than what would probably be his replacement(s) if we stayed in-house.
    Itís a head scratcher sometimes, isnít it? Iíd much prefer to get rid of Bolles than Von, thatís for sure.

Good. Von has a down year, so what. Heís still a top flight pass rusher and is a proven player. I hope we can retain several of our UFA. I realize we canít keep them all, but there are some holes to fill.

If Denver can find an offense that can score more than 16 points a game our edge rushers job gets a little easier. If our guys can T-off on obvious passing situations we will see bigger sack numbers. I'm excited for the duo of Miller and Chubb with a complimentary offense.....CANT WAIT!!!

One of the things I really liked about the Elway+Vic presser was the comment that they are NOT going to evaluate players now. They want to get away from the emotions of the season....come back and evaluate each players (and hopefully coaches) performance over the coarse of the season and them give each person an evaluation.

The key to this is there is certain human factors involved in coaches pushing a player up through out the season. They want to get away from those human factors and make as non-biased (good and bad) decision as possible.

I do not think it will change what this thread was started on....but when looking at the "pie" and how it fits together the idea is nothing is decided right now.
    Champ Bailey is the only player in NFL history to earn 200+ (203) Passes Defended
    Terrell Davis is 3rd all time in rushing yards per game (97.5)

Von Miller's Dip Under The Oakland Raiders OL for a SACK was something of Beauty and Something that we have not seen 2015 and it was Awesome.

Von Miller finished the season off with 2 great performance, and showed he can clearly still play. Von is a great run defender, a fanboy for his teammates, and despite a clear dip in impact the last 2-3 years, he has more value here than elsewhere. I like Von and am happy with the up front and transparent approach Elway is taking on players like Lock and Von when questioned.

Despite a down year I actually think this is a good move for the team overall for motivation and moral. He's arguably been the face of the franchise since Manning retired, is very involved with the community, and even through the rough number of seasons we've had genuinely wants to be a Bronco.

#58 is a jersey I want to see light up the stadium for as long as we can.

One of the things I have liked about Vic is him pointing out the hidden effectiveness of players that people may not notice.

For example when asked about how well we did against a certain player against the Raiders Vic was quick to point out because of Von's effectiveness against the Raiders that player was kept in to pass block more which means they could not be out running routes.

It is nice that Vic not only notices these kinds of things so quickly but also points it out for the fans to appreciate.
    Champ Bailey is the only player in NFL history to earn 200+ (203) Passes Defended
    Terrell Davis is 3rd all time in rushing yards per game (97.5)

Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    One of the things I have liked about Vic is him pointing out the hidden effectiveness of players that people may not notice.

For example when asked about how well we did against a certain player against the Raiders Vic was quick to point out because of Von's effectiveness against the Raiders that player was kept in to pass block more which means they could not be out running routes.

It is nice that Vic not only notices these kinds of things so quickly but also points it out for the fans to appreciate.
    Add in the week before also when Jones got AFC Defensive Player of the Week honours, if you watch Von, he was responsible for the big plays he made due to his presence blowing up multiple plays. Also, as you said, the Raiders paid a lot of attention to Von keeping people in to block him, running backs, tight-ends, and on a couple plays, he was triple teamed

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    Von Miller finished the season off with 2 great performance, and showed he can clearly still play. Von is a great run defender, a fanboy for his teammates, and despite a clear dip in impact the last 2-3 years, he has more value here than elsewhere. I like Von and am happy with the up front and transparent approach Elway is taking on players like Lock and Von when questioned.
    Is it coincidence that Vons performance heated up with Lock under center? I think there is something to that

Quote Originally Posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
    Von Miller's Dip Under The Oakland Raiders OL for a SACK was something of Beauty and Something that we have not seen 2015 and it was Awesome.
    When I saw that play, I was like,
    "Where has that urgency been these past few years?"

Is Miller hurt, unmotivated, or losing his step?

I don't know, but I'd like to see more of that given
    his cap number and star power.

Quote Originally Posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post

I think I re-wound that 5 times. I was like "damn how did he dip under like that without completely losing his balance".

Special thanks to Sam_Z for the SB rings collage above