View Poll Results: Should John Elway be fired?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

61 54.95%
  • No

50 45.05%
Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast
    Yes, I still stand by a my yes. Once again Elway failed to address the main problem areas of the team despite spending a large about of capital trying to fix them, quarterback and offensive line. The offensive line has been failed year after year after year under John Elway, and the quarterback decisions have been even worse. I understand Drew Lock had a great half of football against the Texans, but that one great half doesn't make me forget about the overall ineptitude of this front office over the past few years.

I don't think Elway is going anywhere, but for me, I believed once Elway decided to go after Flacco, again going the veteran re-tread route, if it didn't get us to where we needed to go, Elway should of been fired as a consequence, we know how that worked out. I would of been fine going 4-12 with a young quarterback and going down the road of a full re-build, but Elway didn't, he wasted money and draft picks on what he seen as the quarterback solution, and it failed, and the backup quarterbacks have gone 3-2.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    Yes, I still stand by a my yes. Once again Elway failed to address the main problem areas of the team despite spending a large about of capital trying to fix them, quarterback and offensive line. The offensive line has been failed year after year after year under John Elway, and the quarterback decisions have been even worse. I understand Drew Lock had a great half of football against the Texans, but that one great half doesn't make me forget about the overall ineptitude of this front office over the past few years.

I don't think Elway is going anywhere, but for me, I believed once Elway decided to go after Flacco, again going the veteran re-tread route, if it didn't get us to where we needed to go, Elway should of been fired as a consequence, we know how that worked out. I would of been fine going 4-12 with a young quarterback and going down the road of a full re-build, but Elway didn't, he wasted money and draft picks on what he seen as the quarterback solution, and it failed, and the backup quarterbacks have gone 3-2.
    when we traded for flacco the only young qb we had was Hogan...there was no guarantee we would get the qb we wanted in the draft...unless you think keeping the even suckier keenum or playing Hogan was the best option in case we didnt

and how did Elway not address the oline, he brought in james , he drafted risner

Quote Originally Posted by arapaho View Post
    when we traded for flacco the only young qb we had was Hogan...there was no guarantee we would get the qb we wanted in the draft...unless you think keeping the even suckier keenum or playing Hogan was the best option in case we didnt

and how did Elway not address the oline, he brought in james , he drafted risner
    We had a top 10 pick this past year, and the year before we had a top 5 pick, we were in prime positions in back to back drafts to go down the route of drafting a young quarterback high, and committing to that approach. Obviously at the time of the Flacco trade we didn't have much on the roster at the quarterback position, and I didn't even dislike the trade, it made sense for the reason you outlined. However, when you make that move you are saying you are ready to compete, and the move was a failure as we sit here having another losing season.

It isn't about addressing the offensive line, it's about addressing it effectively, and Elway cannot do that. Elway also addressed the offensive line with Russell Okung, Donald Stephenson, Jared Veldheer, Garett Bolles, and so on, but it hasn't worked. Either he doesn't know how to scout the position, or his advisers are incompetent, and this is one of the main problem areas of the team, again.

Having Manning allowed Elway's terrible drafting and bad personnel decisions to go unnoticed by most, but all the Manning era did was mask the underlying issues which were snowballing while we were winning. But having that unicorn in Manning elevate the entire organisation the way he did, it masked all of those bad years of drafting which have led us to the hole we are currently sitting in right now.

Regardless of the recent ascension of Lock (and some of the other productive young players)- no way Elway was ever getting “fired” IMHO. His name, “goodwill”, and iconic history with the franchise is of enduring material value at a national level to any ownership. Would be totally idiotic ($$$) to do something that would risk his estrangement- particularly when he’s won an SB, went to another, and otherwise has had some “ups and downs” just like virtually every GM there’s ever been...

The Broncos are 16-29 since 2017. One more loss would mark the third straight losing season. Fangio is the third head coach since 2016 and we’ve churned through offensive coordinators. The problems with the offensive line go back multiple seasons.

The line needs a left tackle because Elway made a bad decision on Bolles. He attempted to makeup for poor drafts by signing Okung, Stephenson, Watson, Veldheer and Janes. James was signed for $51 million and played what, 50 snaps? Elway handed $27 million guaranteed money to a guy who lacks motivation to play football.

What about Special Teams? Elway drafted Riley Dixon, only to move on to Marquette King. King didn’t last more than a few games and now we have Wadman. Does anyone not believe Wadman has been a reason we routinely give opponents good field position? Special Teams has been a problem for years.

While Lock could be a long term starter we only have a small sample to assess. I believe Lock is the 9th quarterback since Manning (Sanchez, Siemian, Lynch, Osweiler, Keenum, Flacco, Hogan, Allen). A lot of talent has been wasted while Elway fooled around with guys like Keenum and Flacco.

I’m excited to see some young guys playing well, and hope Lock can continue improving. Make no mistake, Elway drove the Broncos into a ditch. Hopefully Lock will be the catalyst to turn things around.

When things are going down, people are usually late to see it. And when things are trending up, people are usually late to see it. Denver is trending up in a significant way. They've got ton of promising young players on both sides of the ball, and they've got a mountain of cap space in the offseason and two good defensive players (Chubb and Callahan) coming back from injury.

They're currently 5-8 but can legitimately claim that they're a phantom second away from being 6-7 and could easily be 7-6 right now.

Should Elway have been fired based on the 2014-2017 drafts, hiring Joseph and the state of the team a year ago? Probably. Should he be fired looking at the 2018 and 2019 drafts and the state of the team now? Nope. IMO people arguing he should be fired now are doing so based on where the team was, not where they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Should Elway have been fired based on the 2014-2017 drafts, hiring Joseph and the state of the team a year ago? Probably.
    In a vacuum perhaps- but never going to happen when the GM in question is an organizational/regional icon, and scaled the mountaintop as recently as February 2016. Elway was always going to get a ton of slack to work his way out of it. Fortunately, looks like he’s about on his way...

When things are going down, people are usually late to see it. And when things are trending up, people are usually late to see it. Denver is trending up in a significant way. They've got ton of promising young players on both sides of the ball, and they've got a mountain of cap space in the offseason and two good defensive players (Chubb and Callahan) coming back from injury.

They're currently 5-8 but can legitimately claim that they're a phantom second away from being 6-7 and could easily be 7-6 right now.

Should Elway have been fired based on the 2014-2017 drafts, hiring Joseph and the state of the team a year ago? Probably. Should he be fired looking at the 2018 and 2019 drafts and the state of the team now? Nope. IMO people arguing he should be fired now are doing so based on where the team was, not where they are.
    So perfectly said.

We're actually three blown calls from being 8-5 and in the playoff mix.

There are boring people who judge a team based on direction, talent, teaching, roster and cap.

And then there are saber-metric geniuses who judge it solely by the current W/L column.

What's extra awesome about the second group is that they think their constant complaints and demands to fire people are what cause the good years.

Super endearing. Super informative. Super valuable to the board.

Plz post moar if you're in the second group. I hang on your every word.

Everyone who’s still arguing that Elway should be fired needs to take a shower, cause y’all just dirty.😉

This argument needs to be put on hold for another season, at least.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I won’t Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny_Quest View Post
    There are boring people who judge a team based on direction, talent, teaching, roster and cap.

And then there are saber-metric geniuses who judge it solely by the current W/L column.

What's extra awesome about the second group is that they think their constant complaints and demands to fire people are what cause the good years.

Super endearing. Super informative. Super valuable to the board.

Plz post moar if you're in the second group. I hang on your every word.
    Me too!!!!!!

And no I don’t think John Elway should be fired.

He has a contract through 2021, let him finish what he started.

Quote Originally Posted by 58Miller View Post
    Me too!!!!!!

And no I don’t think John Elway should be fired.

He has a contract through 2021, let him finish what he started.
    it'll be interesting to see what happens after the ownership issue is taken care of. I would be willing to bet Brittney Bowlen gives John Elway a contract extension and kicks Joe Ellis to the curb

Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

The decision to fire Elway is waaaayyyy above anybody's pay grade on this board.

Locked in!!!

Now about those Chiefs...
    [

BCMB Div I - AB's Etsy Shop | BCMB FF Smackdown - Cold Feet

If you had asked me this earlier in the year I'd have said he was a cold turkey and needed to go. Lock was his last trump card and so far so good. Lock is single handedly saving Elway.

Now I'm at the point I need to see Elway have another off-season and see what changes and stuff he makes. If we trend up and he builds a solid team around Lock then I'm willing to ride with him. If we stink up the joint or Lock regresses than yes Elway needs to be let go.

Keep this same coaching staff though just see if you can continue success with this regime and if we trend up than I'll break the pitch fork and eat more crow. It was looking scary for him this season but right now I have optimism like many others. There's an off-season and draft that I want to see Elway go through in building around Lock before I say he needs to go again.