View Poll Results: Should John Elway be fired?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

61 54.95%
  • No

50 45.05%
Page 34 of 40 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast
    If he keeps putting together classes like these last 2 it would be a mistake to get rid of him

Quote Originally Posted by DenverJay View Post
    Who picked all those failed QB's you listed? Hmm, I THINK that was Elway.

Sutton is the only solid receiver on the team. Patrick and all the others aren't even close to being even number 3 or 4 receivers on better teams and could easily be replaced/upgraded with a crapton of other receivers in the league.

The OLine is an absolute mess and needs at least two or three upgrades....

The LIST goes on, and is documented by others all over this board. I'm not going to rehash it now.

The VAST majority of picks Elway has made have been BUSTS. And there should be no dispute that his method for developing new QB's in the league is complete crap.

He needs to go, and the sooner the better.
    Do you know how hard it is to pick a franchise QB? it's only a few teams in the league that has one.
    Go Hard or Go Home

Quote Originally Posted by BR0NCOFANATIC View Post
    Do you know how hard it is to pick a franchise QB? it's only a few teams in the league that has one.
    I think it's actually the other way around. I think most teams have their franchise QB's, with only handful that don't. But it doesn't matter. Nothing any of us say here will make any difference at all as to whether Elway remains or doesn't. So, yeah. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    If he keeps putting together classes like these last 2 it would be a mistake to get rid of him
    If Lock continues his level of play to finish the season there is zero doubt he's the QB for this team for the next 10-15 years. If that is indeed the fact then every off-season becomes completely different than the previous since Manning.

If Elway can exclude QB from the equation he can focus on skill areas on both sides of the ball. I'm excited for the future here now and am fully confident Elway can build it. Now is the window to utilize Locks contract too. With how cheap he is we should be able to build a fantastic group around him!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    Last year's draft brought us potentially 3 Pro Bowl players. Lindsay already made one and both Chubb and Sutton could. I count Lindsay as I beileve UDFA's are part of the draft class. 3 Pro Bowl players from one draft is pretty rare. We also picked up AJ as a rookie FA who could also make a Pro Bowl.

Our top 3 picks this lyear also look really good...Fant, Risner and Lock all look promising.

The problems with this team isn't the past two seasons. It's the 3-4 seasons before that. Those guys should be the heart of the team now, but we really missed on those drafts.

The thing is, it's clear Elway has totally changed his approach to the draft and now drafts players on production and attitude and not potential.

I thought the idea of firing Elway was ridiculous. I still think it's ridiculous. The past 3 seasons or so have been stinkers, no doubt. But this team looks like it has a bright future and that was built by Elway. Every team goes through down years. The best ones don't overreact. The worst ones constantly fire their GMs and coaches.

Elway has already shown he can build a wining football team. He's brought in pieces to have a dominating offense. He's brought in pieces to have a dominating defense.

It looks like we may have a legit franchise QB in Lock. We shore up the o-line and get a #2 receiver our offense could be set for a decade. And Fangio is one of the best defensive minds in football. We still need to find some pieces in the secondary, but our D should be strong so long as Fangio is running things.

Elway knows how to get the right people in place. He missed on Joseph big time. But he moved on from that mistake quickly. We have an outside shot at a .500 season, and considering how we started this year, that's quite impressive. A lot of our future is banked on the development of Lock, and so far he looks good. If he turns out to be as good as he's looked so far, Elway deserves a lot of credit for bringing him in.

It makes no sense to fire Elway, the GM that has built 2 Super Bowl teams and has the offense young and trending in the right direction. It makes no sense to fire him after bringing in one of the best defensive minds to run the team after the failure of the inexperienced Vance Joseph. Elway knows what he's doing. He's made mistakes, but we could be a lot worse off.

Elway has gone back to valuing high character, highly productive players over multiple seasons in the draft. You look at his first few drafts and aside from Osweiler, Thomas, and maybe a few late round picks they were all players who played multiple seasons. Guys like Von, Wolfe, Jackson, Moore, Harris, Thompson, Franklin, Irving, Trevathan, Green. Sure they didnít all pan out but it set the foundation for what he wanted. Then once he had his nucleus and Manning he went all in on high ceiling guys and a bunch of those guys flopped. Now heís back to the high character high production guys that made him so successful getting guys like Lock, Sutton, Risner, Lindsay, Janovich, Simmons, Parks, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by lvbronx View Post
    Last year's draft brought us potentially 3 Pro Bowl players. Lindsay already made one and both Chubb and Sutton could. I count Lindsay as I beileve UDFA's are part of the draft class. 3 Pro Bowl players from one draft is pretty rare. We also picked up AJ as a rookie FA who could also make a Pro Bowl.

Our top 3 picks this lyear also look really good...Fant, Risner and Lock all look promising.

The problems with this team isn't the past two seasons. It's the 3-4 seasons before that. Those guys should be the heart of the team now, but we really missed on those drafts.

The thing is, it's clear Elway has totally changed his approach to the draft and now drafts players on production and attitude and not potential.
    I get that and what you are going at. My idea is more Elway admitted he was wrong and listened to Kubiak and it has paired off with 2 great classes. If he continues with a third this year he should definitely be kept around cause we fix a few holes and we are a ligit team again.

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon30 View Post
    I thought the idea of firing Elway was ridiculous. I still think it's ridiculous. The past 3 seasons or so have been stinkers, no doubt. But this team looks like it has a bright future and that was built by Elway. Every team goes through down years. The best ones don't overreact. The worst ones constantly fire their GMs and coaches.

Elway has already shown he can build a wining football team. He's brought in pieces to have a dominating offense. He's brought in pieces to have a dominating defense.

It looks like we may have a legit franchise QB in Lock. We shore up the o-line and get a #2 receiver our offense could be set for a decade. And Fangio is one of the best defensive minds in football. We still need to find some pieces in the secondary, but our D should be strong so long as Fangio is running things.

Elway knows how to get the right people in place. He missed on Joseph big time. But he moved on from that mistake quickly. We have an outside shot at a .500 season, and considering how we started this year, that's quite impressive. A lot of our future is banked on the development of Lock, and so far he looks good. If he turns out to be as good as he's looked so far, Elway deserves a lot of credit for bringing him in.

It makes no sense to fire Elway, the GM that has built 2 Super Bowl teams and has the offense young and trending in the right direction. It makes no sense to fire him after bringing in one of the best defensive minds to run the team after the failure of the inexperienced Vance Joseph. Elway knows what he's doing. He's made mistakes, but we could be a lot worse off.
    Yeah, it's like if JE isn't in the PO's every year then he should be fired. We had competitive teams with below average QB play, except for a few games the last couple years. It seems if we don't go to the playoffs then we need to change coaches, GMs and trade our top players every year for whatever. This team has had the toughest schedules and horrendous injuries over the last few years. The Broncos are on the rise and flying under the radar at this time. If we go to KC and win, we'll be a big blotch on every ones radar screen.

IMO firing John Elway would be hitting the panic button, throwing out the baby with the bath water, cutting off the nose to spite the face, burning down the house because one doesn't want to clean and/or straighten it and, any other example of an extreme reaction to a situation that is actually manageable.

John Elway hired Vic Fangio who I think is doing a great job. Elway and Fangio hired Rich Scangarello who has a great working relationship with Drew Lock based on clear communication and trust.

A new GM would mean a new coaching staff. That is not a good idea at this point. On the contrary, because it would be a dumb idea. Getting frustrated and firing everybody is not analytical and problem solving. It is just an emotional response which self-delusion will convince one it's the thing to do.

Elway has already shown he is aware of past mistakes and has corrected them. He is under contract and when it expires will be the time to visit the issue of his continued employment in his current capacity.

All we can hope for is that people learn from their mistakes and get better, and this includes everyone in the human race, not just Elway, Fangio and Scangarello. But the latter three have made some adjustments to what they were doing and things seems to be trending in the right direction now, so I'm hopeful that this team can get back to the playoffs in 2020 or 2021.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

i get the issue of a few drafts not hitting...we cant forget solid players who choose to leave for the money, or the UDFA...do we unjustly critisize elway for missing a couple years
    look at the chargers 2013 draft...one player out of 6, 2014 zero still on team,

2012 derek wolfe been a stud from day one, malik Jackson and trevathan although they not on the team Elway recognized the talent
    2013 was a bust
    2014 roby, latimer, schofield, paradise and nelson are all still playing
    2015 other than huereman a bust
    2016 Gotsis, simmons, booker, McGovern, jano, parks
    2017 bolles, walker, butt
    2018 studs
    2019 studs

then we don't consider the impact of some of the FA hes brought, manning of course, but sanders, ward, Ware...and then look at the FA he's brought in that nobody gave a chance
    Percell, AJ, S Harris

Elway took a 4-12 team and within 3 season completely rebuilt that team with less than 6 players on the team from when he came, and built it too one of the greatest offenses ever seen, and switched course and built one of the greatest defenses ever seen and won the SB by year five

yes hes missed on a qb...hopefully until lock...but it is a hard thing to constantly win in this league without one no matter how good your team is

How about we all calm down and keep the personal shots out of here? Code of Conduct

Keep smack in the smack forum.

I have been critical of Elway and the FO this year - for good reason IMO. Still, the guy who gets the blame should also get the credit. Even though Elway has fought a youth movement (especially at QB), the team is finally looking like it's trending up. Bottom line, he brought in the guys I'm super excited about, so he gets full credit for those picks.

Here's the kicker. This is a crucial offseason. Probably the most pivotal offseason in his tenure. We have a good, young nucleus, no doubt. Still, this team has serious depth issues and several expiring contracts. I have my fingers crossed that next years roster will be improved. He certainly has his work cut out for him because this team needs depth and a few starters.

Good news is if he commits to Lock, it frees up draft capital, FA moves, and all around brain damage. Having the QB position figured out will be huge because QB won't be the #1 concern in the offseason.

C'mon John. Another good draft and a few key FA acquisitions and this team could be in playoff contention next year.

Even though I've been critical, I still think it's salvageable.

I'd like to apologize to Elway and Scangarello...I now understand that it was Joe Flacco inability to move from potential to kinetic energy in the pocket. Get a CB and a good OL to replace Bolles and things are looking up.
    Manning to Thomas ev'ry day, all day.