View Poll Results: Should John Elway be fired?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

61 54.95%
  • No

50 45.05%
Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40
    Quote Originally Posted by arapaho View Post
    And the biggest detriment over that time frame was a competent Qb

I believe we have one now

People need to just quit crying over spilt milk

And look at the positives

Even this year with horrid QB play all season
    We could easily be a 8 win team right now
    If bad calls and good kicking didnít get in the way
    John Elway is responsible for the incompetent quarterback play. Iím not convinced Lock is the long term answer. He definitely has potential however Iíve seen some of the same tendencies he had at Missouri.

The Broncos arenít an eight win team and trying to re-write games wonít change the record.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Going to someone for advice isnít inherently bad and can be good. The issue is potentially putting too much weight behind the advice, especially with a very limited resume. When you ask a young quarterback to throw the ball 40 times in a road game, in the snow in a hostile environment, I donít believe thatís something Lock needs from Scangarello.
    Well, what's the point of going to someone for advice if you don't use the information you were given???

Isn't Lock auditioning for his job? I think asking him to throw it 40 times in a hostile environment is just part of the plan to see if he can handle it. I think he did ok, not great but it's a game to learn from. I was pretty hard on Lamar Jackson because of his inaccurate throws but he made a huge leap this year and he is being credited with non stop work on his craft. Lock is putting in that same work and I expect him to be better every game he plays.

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    I'd say you are correct sir, it would appear the sky is NOT falling
    To infinity and beyond!

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    John Elway is responsible for the incompetent quarterback play. Iím not convinced Lock is the long term answer. He definitely has potential however Iíve seen some of the same tendencies he had at Missouri.

The Broncos arenít an eight win team and trying to re-write games wonít change the record.
    And again

Why was the broncos forced to not only hire a coach but draft a QB

Because kubiak retired and OZ spazzed out

Yes lynch was a mistake, but drafting qbs isnít a guaranteed thing
    So at that point we were the defending world champs and trying to find competent qb play to continue to win was the goal

But who were the QBs out there... there was none so we ended up with siemian
    For two years because Paxton never worked to be the guy, he didnít have the work ethic

Keenum and Flacco were desperate grasps at trying to win

But now weíre locked, and getting loaded should be our goal

At some point non stop whining over mistakes gets old

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    Well, what's the point of going to someone for advice if you don't use the information you were given???

Isn't Lock auditioning for his job? I think asking him to throw it 40 times in a hostile environment is just part of the plan to see if he can handle it. I think he did ok, not great but it's a game to learn from. I was pretty hard on Lamar Jackson because of his inaccurate throws but he made a huge leap this year and he is being credited with non stop work on his craft. Lock is putting in that same work and I expect him to be better every game he plays.
    Iím not saying Lock wonít be successful, just need to see more reps and improvement. Throwing 40 vs 15 run isnít a good way to ďtestĒ a young quarterback, especially on the road in those conditions. You donít setup a young player for failure and thatís exactly what Scangarello did with that heavy pass attack without adjusting protection.

Iíve consistently praised Lockís work ethic, long before most recognized that fact was well established at Missouri. Itís also well documented he takes more risk than necessary by putting too much faith in his arm. Todayís back to back interceptions illustrated his tendency to take too much risk (one break for defensive holding). He didnít play a bad game and there were obviously other factors with dropped balls and poor protection.

After the game Lock said heís just going to keep slinging the ball around. Thatís not the right approach and it wonít work in the NFL. Heíll need to be more disciplined in order to win consistently.
    Last edited by Fantaztic7; 12-15-2019 at 08:55 PM.

Mike Shanahan has a lot of experience running a WCO system with measurable success. He seems to have been able to impart a lot of knowledge that his son has been able build upon. Elway obviously has experience under his system but deep knowledge required to build an offensive scheme, I think, it somewhat outside his purview. It isn't surprising Shanahan, someone Elway knows quite well, was asked to come in to consult on Scangs.

Was Elway influenced? I think that's a silly question. The point of having a consultant is to give insight and expertise as an outside source. I could easily see the opposite conversation happening if Scangs was not hired and how awful Elway is for not listening to Shanahan's input.

This isn't a hill to die on as far as Elway's tenure in Denver..

And again

Yes lynch was a mistake, but drafting qbs isn’t a guaranteed thing

So at that point we were the defending world champs and trying to find competent qb play to continue to win was the goal

For two years because Paxton never worked to be the guy, he didn’t have the work ethic

But now we’re locked, and getting loaded should be our goal

I agree. We spent a 23 on Lynch, a 57 on Os and a 42 on Lock. All that draft capital combined probably wouldn't get us any better than a top 14 pick.

After Peyton retired, Elway's first plan was to go with Os. When that didn't work (lucky), we signed Mark Sanchez. I'm guessing Elway wanted him to be the backup and really wanted Kap and that didn't work out (lucky). So almost in desperation Elway drafted Lynch as Plan C. Turns out, Siemian was a better QB.

My complaint is more the guys we didn't draft like Russel Wilson or maybe Dak. I wanted both the year they came out. And to be fair, Jerry also wanted Lynch and "settled" for Dak. We probably could have also had either Mahomes or Watson if we wanted.

Flacco and Keenum were mistakes, but Elway did a good job minimizing his losses and considering the risk weren't bad gambles.

I can at least understand almost all of Elway's decisions, if I don't agree with them. The one decision of Elway's that I'll never understand is hiring VJ.

And again

Yes lynch was a mistake, but drafting qbs isnít a guaranteed thing

For two years because Paxton never worked to be the guy, he didnít have the work ethic

But now weíre locked, and getting loaded should be our goal

Making a mistake with one quarterback is one thing. Elway missed with Lynch, Sanchez Siemian, Osweiler (2nd time), Keenum and Flacco. Lock is a prospect at this point - I think heís a decent prospect but only time will tell. Elway wasted quarterback development with reps on guys like Hogan.

The notion there were no other quarterbacks is a false narrative. There were free agents Elway overlooked in favor of Siemian. Ryan Fitzpatrick, for example. There were draft prospects like Dak Prescott and Jacoby Brissett. I thought Brissett was a good prospect, certainly better than Lynch.

The issues go beyond quarterback, starting with the offensive line. Elway followed a bad pick with Lynch in 2016 with Bolles in 2017. Elway has repeatedly missed with free agents, Okung, Stephenson, Watson, Veldheer, Leary and now JaíWuan James. Itís one thing to make a mistake, another to continue handing out bad contracts.

The line has one solid player with Risner. I give credit to Elway for a solid pick there. At the same time four positions need to be upgraded.

There are a few bright spots on the roster including Sutton. Lindsay is good but he canít carry the load without a solid #2. Freeman is just a guy, nothing more and heís sub par in pass protection.

Von Miller is in the twilight of his career and clearly frustrated with the state of the team based on his comments after the game. Chris Harris Jr is likely on the way out - no way is he worth what heís demanded.

No amount of excuses can cover up the fact this team is 16-30 over the last three seasons.
    Last edited by Fantaztic7; 12-15-2019 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Super Bowl contending Broncos teams have looked this bad in Arrowhead before. Iím not going to over react to this game in the snow with a rookie QB. Itís painful but it is what it is.
    The Broncos are 16-30 since 2017. Their 16 wins have come against 12 teams, six of which have losing records over the same span. They rarely win against quality teams. No overreacting here, just the facts.

Thread cleaned.

If you are unsure why a post was removed please read the Code of Conduct. The rules are posted so you don't have to guess about what is it is not permitted on the forums.

If having read the COCs you still have a question please feel free to start a thread in the Community Issues forum and we'll be glad to assist.
    Last edited by Rastic; 12-15-2019 at 10:33 PM.

So, are we all on the 'yargh har har fire Elway' bandwagon again because the Broncos lost a game that they should have lost? Inquiring minds want to know.

the only really obvious mistake it seems he has made this last off season was signing James. otherwise it was a really good offseason and helping to make up for his bad drafts.

oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

While elway hasnít had the best few years. Man yíall really try to eat him up and make it all about him. Now that this team finally has a QB. Letís see what they do. This off-season is the ultimate test. Because they finally found the QB. Thereís no more excuses. So give the man one more year before you come with the pitchforks.