View Poll Results: Should John Elway be fired?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

56 57.14%
  • No

42 42.86%
Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    Yes he could of , or he may have been just like he is now . We can assume and guess but you have to look at the facts . My point was if he took Elways offer and amounted to what hes become that would be just another wrench to throw at Elway. Nothing against Oz as I was hoping hed sign and be a long term solution for us .

Quote Originally Posted by mojo0730 View Post
    I get that but so much about being a successful quarterback is confidence, and Brock's confidence was shot while in Houston and playing for a coach that not only didn't want him there, but did next to nothing to support him.

Now again, a lot of that is on Brock because he chose to go to Houston without even meeting with O'Brien. But I feel Osweiler could have been as successful playing-wise as a Flacco had he just stayed here and been the guy. We'll never know, but that's how I feel.
    IMO, it isnít completely about OZ as a player. It is also about the strategy. Thereís also the aspect of how it was handled and the subsequent fallout.

If Oz would have been resigned, they never would have drafted Lynch. They were coming off a SB win and still had an excellent supporting cast. Maybe that pick gets used for a player (IDC who) that becomes a pro bowl level starter. Oz probably still would have been a mediocre QB, but maybe the roster looks a bit better today if they committed to their young QB while they still had a good roster.

Oz is just one example of a player who was let go in somewhat poor fashion. I donít think any FO can simply ďsign everyoneĒ, but there are many players who, IMO, fall in this category: Elvis, Trevathan, Malik, Ward are the ones that immediately come to mind. Again, I understand that a FO canít re-sign every player, but there has certainly been some bad form along the way.

It really comes down to the strategy that has been used to get to this point. Canít really change the past and we have no say in what the FO does, so hereís hoping Lock works out and we have a couple more good drafts.

Quote Originally Posted by orange crush75 View Post
    Yes he could of , or he may have been just like he is now . We can assume and guess but you have to look at the facts . My point was if he took Elways offer and amounted to what hes become that would be just another wrench to throw at Elway. Nothing against Oz as I was hoping hed sign and be a long term solution for us .
    Well that much is true but I think he showed enough to Kubiak for kubes to push John to make an offer at the last minute which Brock didnít even consider because at that point one would get the impression that he wasnít willing to be strung along.

He waited for a fair offer and nothing until the very last fraction of a second doesnít say much for the credibility of the franchise at time hence why he decided to go play for an owner that expressed so much interest he gave him 16mill!

I think any one of us would had made the same decision when there is big money like that involved but more so a person expressing great interest would imply job security.

However I wouldíve taken the time to meet with the entire staff not just the owner.

Anyway Itís more so about the effort or lack thereof. John has always had trouble resigning his home grown talent.
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 10-08-2019 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketArm006 View Post
    IMO, it isn’t completely about OZ as a player. It is also about the strategy. There’s also the aspect of how it was handled and the subsequent fallout.

If Oz would have been resigned, they never would have drafted Lynch. They were coming off a SB win and still had an excellent supporting cast. Maybe that pick gets used for a player (IDC who) that becomes a pro bowl level starter. Oz probably still would have been a mediocre QB, but maybe the roster looks a bit better today if they committed to their young QB while they still had a good roster.

Oz is just one example of a player who was let go in somewhat poor fashion. I don’t think any FO can simply “sign everyone”, but there are many players who, IMO, fall in this category: Elvis, Trevathan, Malik, Ward are the ones that immediately come to mind. Again, I understand that a FO can’t re-sign every player, but there has certainly been some bad form along the way.

It really comes down to the strategy that has been used to get to this point. Can’t really change the past and we have no say in what the FO does, so here’s hoping Lock works out and we have a couple more good drafts.
    It was such a mishandled situation. Brock should have been re-signed going into the 2015 season. I mean my God, their plan after Brock left was Mark Sanchez, Trevor Siemian, and Paxton Lynch! There's no question this team would be in a much better position had they re-signed Brock, even if Brock did eventually flame out.

That's why I tell people the biggest mistake that the Broncos have made right after Super Bowl 50 (outside of not allowing Manning to play out the final year of his contract) was not re-signing Brock. Drafting Paxton in the 1st round was a side effect of the Brock decision.

Valid points Gents.....ugh , the Lynch experience. I feel so violated . Ace Ventura with the toilet plunger comes to mind . Think it was Ace

Quote Originally Posted by orange crush75 View Post
    Valid points Gents.....ugh , the Lynch experience. I feel so violated . Ace Ventura with the toilet plunger comes to mind . Think it was Ace
    Yes, the entire QB fiasco has been toilet plunger worthy.

Brock made up his mind to leave Denver after he was benched at halftime of the last regular season game of 2015. Elway offered him more than he was worth, but Brock cut off all communications with FO, teammates and coaches. He didn't even visit the White House with the SB 50 team. He had delusions of grandeur as an NFL QB which weren't realized in Houston. "What if" he had stayed in Denver is speculation, and blaming his departure on individuals other than Brock is more speculation. Brock is currently a free agent while Paxton is on a roster. Go figure.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    One of his biggest blunders was not extending Osweiler when he should had.

I know BO wasnít all that great a QB but he performed well under Kubiak and if there would had been some longevity between the two we may had won more division titles and perhaps another super bowl. God knows we had the defense still.

Itís just another area where Elway went stubbornly wrong and purposely.

Now Iím not saying pay BO 16 mill but John couldíve resigned him the season prior for around 12!

John thought he could easily find replacements and heís finding out now that itís not so easy.
    Seriously? Osweiler is beyond terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by BeelzeBob View Post
    Osweiler was a huge contributor to winning a Super Bowl that year. The Broncos don't win without him. Who knows what he would've looked like if he stayed in Denver. Easy to say he is awful now but continuity is huge for a QB and Brock could've thrived here if he didn't go to Houston.

Quote Originally Posted by JW7 View Post
    Osweiler was a huge contributor to winning a Super Bowl that year. The Broncos don't win without him. Who knows what he would've looked like if he stayed in Denver. Easy to say he is awful now but continuity is huge for a QB and Brock could've thrived here if he didn't go to Houston.
    The guy is so bad he doesnít even have a backup job right now. How would staying in Denver have made him better exactly? And even if he had been better in Denver, do you honestly think he wouldíve been better than the likes of Siemian/Keenum/Flacco? That just doesnít make sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    One of his biggest blunders was not extending Osweiler when he should had.

I know BO wasnít all that great a QB but he performed well under Kubiak and if there would had been some longevity between the two we may had won more division titles and perhaps another super bowl. God knows we had the defense still.

Itís just another area where Elway went stubbornly wrong and purposely.

Now Iím not saying pay BO 16 mill but John couldíve resigned him the season prior for around 12!

John thought he could easily find replacements and heís finding out now that itís not so easy.
    Oz definitely wouldíve looked better had he came back vs going to Houston. However he had no incentive to resign the season prior. If Manning hadnít got hurt and he doesnít play at all that year then he probably comes back but after playing at a fairly solid level his price was on the up. But I read that we offered more than Houston did and were willing to match them on a contract but Brock couldnít get over being benched. Even though he was playing well and it wasnít his fault when he was benched, it sparked the team and was a brilliant coaching move by Kubiak. After Manningís struggles all year Iím not sure many coaches would do that even if it is Peyton manning. But Brock definitely felt like we couldíve won it all with him as the starter which is why he felt so disrespected and left.

We are Lucky to have John Elway, we owe him a debt of gratitude for all he has done, for many years, for the Denver Broncos.
    (IMHO)

Quote Originally Posted by BeelzeBob View Post
    Seriously...

No more terrible than Schaub, Siemian or Flacco under Kubiak!

Osweiler played pretty good under Kubiak however you miss the point.

Itís not about the player, itís how the situation was handled.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jack View Post
    We are Lucky to have John Elway, we owe him a debt of gratitude for all he has done, for many years, for the Denver Broncos.
    (IMHO)
    Please tell me you are kidding. NFL owes no one anything. I could care less about the superbowls in the 90's. TD is equally important and cause for both of our superbowls. We don't owe Elway crap. He needs to be fired. Why allow this to continue. He has created a mess here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ear2dastreets View Post
    Please tell me you are kidding. NFL owes no one anything. I could care less about the superbowls in the 90's. TD is equally important and cause for both of our superbowls. We don't owe Elway crap. He needs to be fired. Why allow this to continue. He has created a mess here.
    Agreed!

And let me just say that Itís never good for any business for a guy to just rest on his laurels.
    Even if the majority of the fan base continuously gives him a free pass allowing him to believe such!

And that is why it should be ďa what have you done for me latelyĒ league!