View Poll Results: Should John Elway be fired?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    56 57.14%
  • No

    42 42.86%
Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 485
  1. #151
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    1,326
    Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    Another record; and not a good one.....

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    320
    Quote Originally Posted by marktippins1981 View Post
    Of course not. This is ridiculous. Why would you fire him? Because we haven't been successful? Last time I checked we won a Super Bowl recently, along with only a handful of other teams. Other teams would KILL for our last 10 years, let alone our last 30..

    Let's not get greedy Broncos Country. We're not winning now, no, but we need to take it on the chin like the Browns, Jags, Texans, Bills, etc, have done for the last 30 years, and look forward to being good again. Firing Elway, just because we've picked bad QBs recently, is not the right thing to do. Which GM has never failed on a draft prospect? None. They have all drafted busts, just like Elway, and whilst he hasn't been good at drafting QBs, a GM isn't just a talent evaluator, they do so much more.

    Wouldn't you rather a GM who you KNOW has the best interests of the club at hand? I know I would.

    I do think, however, that he should expand his team a little, as it consistently seems to be one of the smallest in the NFL, but fire him? No.
    I'll be really curious to see how many more humiliating losses this outlook can last through.

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    19,306
    Last night I received an infraction because I was so angry and so disappointed that I posted my feelings in several threads.

    When I woke up today, I still felt angry and disgusted and disappointed with my team.

    Where am I supposed to say this? Where am I supposed to vent my utter disappointment with my team?

    Oh, I guess, we’re not supposed to. Or else you get an infraction.
    Last edited by broncoslover115; 09-30-2019 at 08:53 AM.

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    141
    The entire thing went wrong the moment he invested QB money in a defender. Because of the Von Miller deal, Elway has had to hit the bargain bin at every position while on the never ending hunt for a QB, and left and right tackle.

    It's an everything must go sale at this point. Trade Miller to a contender and fire Elway and the talent scouts. Hell, hire Mel Kiper. His scouting is better than what Denver's is. As an Iowan and huge Iowa Hawkeye fan, I was screaming at the TV during the draft. I knew Fant can't catch a cold or complete a paper route, but Elway always thinks he knows something everybody else doesn't.

    I hate that my childhood hero has become what he has to me. I want to just have my old "ride off into the sunset" memories back.

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 5280
    Posts
    13,253
    Quote Originally Posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    Last night I received an infraction because I was so angry and so disappointed that I posted my feelings in several threads.

    When I woke up today, I still felt angry and disgusted and disappointed with my team.

    Where am I supposed to say this? Where am I supposed to vent my utter disappointment with my team?

    Oh, I guess, we’re not supposed to. Or else you get an infraction.
    Don’t allow an infraction to discourage you, we are all getting them.

    The smack section is the best place to vent your dissatisfaction with Elway because there are way too many ppl in here with sensitive feelings on the matter.
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 09-30-2019 at 09:28 AM.

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Anywhere I want on 18 wheels
    Posts
    8,363
    The idea of firing John Elway just feels dirty.

    Sometimes the dirty work has to be done but I don’t know that it has to be now.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I won’t Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Section 120 Row 26
    Posts
    2,921
    Quote Originally Posted by donnyrides View Post
    The entire thing went wrong the moment he invested QB money in a defender. Because of the Von Miller deal, Elway has had to hit the bargain bin at every position while on the never ending hunt for a QB, and left and right tackle.

    It's an everything must go sale at this point. Trade Miller to a contender and fire Elway and the talent scouts. Hell, hire Mel Kiper. His scouting is better than what Denver's is. As an Iowan and huge Iowa Hawkeye fan, I was screaming at the TV during the draft. I knew Fant can't catch a cold or complete a paper route, but Elway always thinks he knows something everybody else doesn't.

    I hate that my childhood hero has become what he has to me. I want to just have my old "ride off into the sunset" memories back.
    You weren't the only one who was confused about us drafting Iowas backup TE in the first round. Count me as one befuddled broncos fan at that moment.

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,581
    I speculated about how much effect the extremely fortunate occurrence of signing Peyton Manning had on the success of the Broncos and John Elway in particular. It's become increasingly clear to me that Elway does not know how to rebuild the team. He needs to go. The problem is that the team no longer has a strong owner.

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    968
    Quote Originally Posted by marktippins1981 View Post
    Of course not. This is ridiculous. Why would you fire him? Because we haven't been successful? Last time I checked we won a Super Bowl recently, along with only a handful of other teams. Other teams would KILL for our last 10 years, let alone our last 30..

    Let's not get greedy Broncos Country. We're not winning now, no, but we need to take it on the chin like the Browns, Jags, Texans, Bills, etc, have done for the last 30 years, and look forward to being good again. Firing Elway, just because we've picked bad QBs recently, is not the right thing to do. Which GM has never failed on a draft prospect? None. They have all drafted busts, just like Elway, and whilst he hasn't been good at drafting QBs, a GM isn't just a talent evaluator, they do so much more.

    Wouldn't you rather a GM who you KNOW has the best interests of the club at hand? I know I would.

    I do think, however, that he should expand his team a little, as it consistently seems to be one of the smallest in the NFL, but fire him? No.
    We aren’t asking Elway to hit 100% on his draft picks! And it isn’t just about quarterbacks. Only Buffalo has drafted fewer Pro Bowlers or All Pros since Elway took over.

    If Elway even drafted as well as the average GM, our roster would have three more playmakers on it every week.

    And you are wrong, talent evaluation is the core of what GMs do.

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,270
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo0730 View Post
    Ellis isn't going anywhere for at least 3 more years, and even then he's likely going to be forced to stick around until all the lawsuits regarding the ownership are resolved.

    Having said that, the only decisions Ellis has reportedly involved himself with is that he told Elway no when Elway was going to bring back Mike Shanahan, and he steered Elway away from hiring Kyle Shanahan. And Ellis certainly isn't involving himself in the scouting or drafting process.
    Ellis is the guy who brought us McD

    He should have absolutely no say in football operations.

    The fact he even limiting Elway in any way should be a HUGE factor here whether people agree or not with the limitations
    All I want for Christmas is a Bronco QB controversy

  11. #161
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    10,565
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    Ellis is the guy who brought us McD

    He should have absolutely no say in football operations.

    The fact he even limiting Elway in any way should be a HUGE factor here whether people agree or not with the limitations
    Bowlen hired McDaniels, with Ellis' assistance. It was Ellis who fired McDaniels in 2010 and after Bowlen infamously gave him a huge vote of confidence in an interview.

    I don't have a problem with Ellis telling Elway no to Mike Shanahan. As interesting as that would have been, I don't believe it would have been a successful rehiring.

    Kyle Shanahan is a bit murkier, as it certainly seems Ellis' beef with Mike Shanahan contributed to him "encouraging" Elway not to go that direction and instead go with his original plan in VJ.
    Last edited by mojo0730; 09-30-2019 at 10:37 AM.

  12. #162
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    126
    I voted "Yes". Which I HATED to do. I'm 38 years old and have been a DIE-HARD Broncos fan since I was 5. Math indicates this was right during the Elway years. To see Elway retire as a champ and then return the favor by winning one for Pat as a GM could only be written in storybooks and I couldn't be more happy as a fan.

    I loved Elway the player, and for the first 4-5 years, Elway the GM. I still love Elway the player. Elway the GM? It's time to go. I pains me to say this but would any other GM be allowed the same amount of time to have his team perform the way the Broncos have performed and still keep his job? Obviously not.

    Elway needs to go, if nothing else, for a fresh start. Or, at the very least, quit bringing in rookie head coaches. He needs someone who has a proven record of evaluating talent. Maybe bringing back Mike Shanahan would have been a disaster, but I would have at least like to have seen it. It would have given me hope.

    While I like Fangio the person, he's VJ 2.0. He'll be gone after the season, assuming he makes it. No way do they allow another HC with a poor season try again.

    We're not talking about the Bucs, Rams, Jets, Browns, etc, who have a history of being bad. We're the bloody Broncos. Enough is enough. Blow up the roster, build around a potential-franchise QB. Frankly, I don't care what they do, they just need to stop doing what's been done the last 4 years.

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    10,565
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutdotnet View Post
    I voted "Yes". Which I HATED to do. I'm 38 years old and have been a DIE-HARD Broncos fan since I was 5. Math indicates this was right during the Elway years. To see Elway retire as a champ and then return the favor by winning one for Pat as a GM could only be written in storybooks and I couldn't be more happy as a fan.

    I loved Elway the player, and for the first 4-5 years, Elway the GM. I still love Elway the player. Elway the GM? It's time to go. I pains me to say this but would any other GM be allowed the same amount of time to have his team perform the way the Broncos have performed and still keep his job? Obviously not.

    Elway needs to go, if nothing else, for a fresh start. Or, at the very least, quit bringing in rookie head coaches. He needs someone who has a proven record of evaluating talent. Maybe bringing back Mike Shanahan would have been a disaster, but I would have at least like to have seen it. It would have given me hope.

    While I like Fangio the person, he's VJ 2.0. He'll be gone after the season, assuming he makes it. No way do they allow another HC with a poor season try again.

    We're not talking about the Bucs, Rams, Jets, Browns, etc, who have a history of being bad. We're the bloody Broncos. Enough is enough. Blow up the roster, build around a potential-franchise QB. Frankly, I don't care what they do, they just need to stop doing what's been done the last 4 years.
    The truth of the matter is that Elway shouldn't have been in a position to hire Fangio. 4 head coaches in 9 years is just ridiculous, even if one of them left under unusual circumstances. Not to mention all the assistants we've lost in that time.

  14. #164
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    303
    Posts
    872
    No way Elway should be fired at this point. He has brought us two championship appearances and one ring as a front office guy. He is a competitor and a bigger fan of the broncos than anyone of us. Elway and Pat Bowlen had a special relationship and I'm sure losing is eating him up.

    So what, Elway has made some mistakes. He is a smart business man. I'm sure deligating the draft evaluations to a different set of eyes is doable. Other options are available Instead of canning the guy.

  15. #165
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 5280
    Posts
    13,253
    Quote Originally Posted by swinginhorseman View Post
    No way Elway should be fired at this point. He has brought us two championship appearances and one ring as a front office guy. He is a competitor and a bigger fan of the broncos than anyone of us. Elway and Pat Bowlen had a special relationship and I'm sure losing is eating him up.

    So what, Elway has made some mistakes. He is a smart business man. I'm sure deligating the draft evaluations to a different set of eyes is doable. Other options are available Instead of canning the guy.
    Gary Kubiak and his staff brought us that super bowl title.

    They were only given one 9-7 after winning a super bowl before Elway requested that Gary dismiss his staff.

    He didn’t give his super bowl winning staff anymore than one 9-7 season but go ahead and keep pleading a case for the failed executive the last 3 seasons.

    This franchise has never been 0-5 but they most likely will by this time next week.
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 09-30-2019 at 11:46 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •