View Poll Results: Should John Elway be fired?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

57 55.88%
  • No

45 44.12%
Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    I'm sorry, but I want change more than a few meaningless wins. If we can't beat the best teams in the league, then I'm not interested in beating the weak ones. At this point we need to see change, and that only comes from having a historically bad season. Even still, it may not matter what any of us want. We are most certainly headed towards a win less season without even a tank plan in place.
    If a few meaningless wins means we stay out of the worst in the league history books than I want a few meaningless wins. I agree that 7-9 does nothing for us, unless those 7 wins all come from Lock. If Flacco gets benched and Lock comes in and gets the wins and the fans get behind him then we are talking about a different offseason which would include Elway whether we like it or not.....unfortunately

Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    If a few meaningless wins means we stay out of the worst in the league history books than I want a few meaningless wins. I agree that 7-9 does nothing for us, unless those 7 wins all come from Lock. If Flacco gets benched and Lock comes in and gets the wins and the fans get behind him then we are talking about a different offseason which would include Elway whether we like it or not.....unfortunately
    To me I would like to see Lock come in and get us to 7 wins. That's a great season, because then that means there's a change we won't have to spend a long and painful search for a franchise QB, and can spend our picks surrounding him. Agreed, someone else will need to build the team around Lock if that were to happen, because I don't trust Elway to be able to do so properly.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

I think he should step down at seasons end.
    Dread it.Run from it.
    Destiny arrives all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Wanting a Lombardi isn’t enough. It takes an effective GM, Director of Player Personnel and scouts. It takes a better head coach to lead a turnaround effort, not a guy who was passed over by multiple teams and asked to coach a poor roster for his first HC job.

Believing has nothing to do with good drafting and properly managing contracts.

The Broncos have been left behind......
    You seem to have this figured out...

#7 #7 #7

I'm going with the guy that brought us three rings and counting...
    [

Yep, he should be asked to mutually part ways at the end of the season. We already have CHJ saying “13more weeks for me” after the game. And I am not ready to see fans burn down dove valley when Eli is introduced as the QB for next season

Quote Originally Posted by Humberg View Post
    Well Ellis isn't going anywhere for years. It's going to take that long to get the ownership situation settled. But If Ellis has any actual mettle at all, he'll fire Elway. Here is the resume:

Free agent signings since the Super Bowl:
    WR Marlon Brown Baltimore Ravens
    DE Jared Crick Houston Texans
    QB Austin Davis Cleveland Browns
    RB Justin Forsett Baltimore Ravens
    LS Thomas Gafford Chicago Bears
    TE Garrett Graham Houston Texans
    LS Casey Kreiter Dallas Cowboys
    NT Henry Melton Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    OT Russell Okung Seattle Seahawks
    FB Toben Opurum New Orleans Saints
    TE John Phillips San Diego Chargers
    S Brandian Ross San Diego Chargers
    OT Donald Stephenson Kansas City Chiefs
    G Billy Turner Miami Dolphins
    DE Billy Winn Indianapolis Colts
    LB Dekoda Watson New England Patriots

RB Jamaal Charles Kansas City Chiefs
    G J. J. Dielman Cincinnati Bengals
    LB Kasim Edebali New Orleans Saints
    OT Cyrus Kouandjio Buffalo Bills
    CB Chris Lewis-Harris Cincinnati Bengals
    LB Joseph Jones Seattle Seahawks
    NT Zach Kerr Indianapolis Colts
    G Ronald Leary Dallas Cowboys
    LB Danny Mason Chicago Bears
    NT Domata Peko Cincinnati Bengals
    QB Brock Osweiler Houston Texans
    DE Bobby Richardson Kansas City Chiefs
    RB Stevan Ridley Atlanta Falcons
    DT Ahtyba Rubin Seattle Seahawks
    WR Hunter Sharp Philadelphia Eagles
    OT Menelik Watson Oakland Raiders

CB Tramaine Brock Minnesota Vikings
    WR Corey Brown Buffalo Bills
    C Gino Gradkowski Carolina Panthers
    QB Kevin Hogan Cleveland Browns
    WR Andre Holmes Buffalo Bills
    CB Adam Jones Cincinnati Bengals
    QB Case Keenum Minnesota Vikings
    P Marquette King Oakland Raiders
    DT Clinton McDonald Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    CB Craig Mager Los Angeles Chargers
    CB C. J. Smith Cleveland Browns
    CB Jamar Taylor Cleveland Browns
    S Shamarko Thomas Buffalo Bills
    WR DeAndrew White Houston Texans

CB De'Vante Bausby Philadelphia Eagles
    CB Bryce Callahan Chicago Bears
    WR Steven Dunbar Jr. San Francisco 49ers
    OT Chaz Green New Orleans Saints
    CB Devontae Harris Cincinnati Bengals
    CB Kareem Jackson Houston Texans
    OT Ja'Wuan James Miami Dolphins
    LB Corey Nelson Atlanta Falcons
    RB Theo Riddick Detroit Lions
    RB David Williams Jacksonville Jaguars
    WR Nick Williams Los Angeles Rams

There are no standouts here and a lot of failures. Further, if you exclude this year (because it hasn't concluded yet), I count 2 players from the entire group still on this roster - Ron Leary who has been chronically injured and hasn't played that well this year, and Dekoda Watson who was cut by Elway and then traded a 5th round pick for him to bring him back here. Looking at this year I imagine we will see much the same. Already Bryce Callahan, Theo Riddick and Ja'Waun James have had issues seeing the field due to injury. Bausby and Nelson look like weak links out there. Kareem Jackson was doing okay but missed today. Complete failure the past 4 years in free agency.

Looking at the draft:

1 26 Paxton Lynch QB Memphis
    2 63 Adam Gotsis DT Georgia Tech
    3 98 * Justin Simmons S Boston College
    4 136 * Devontae Booker RB Utah
    5 144 Connor McGovern G Missouri
    6 176 Andy Janovich FB Nebraska
    219 * Will Parks S Arizona
    7 228 Riley Dixon P Syracuse

1 20 Garett Bolles OT Utah
    2 51 DeMarcus Walker DE Florida State
    3 82 Carlos Henderson WR Louisiana Tech
    101 Brendan Langley CB Lamar
    5 145 Jake Butt TE Michigan
    172 Isaiah McKenzie WR Georgia
    6 203 De'Angelo Henderson RB Coastal Carolina
    7 253 Chad Kelly QB Ole Miss

2018 (a.k.a. The Kubiak Draft)
    1 5 Bradley Chubb LB NC State
    2 40 Courtland Sutton WR SMU
    3 71 Royce Freeman RB Oregon
    99 * Isaac Yiadom CB Boston College
    4 106 Josey Jewell LB Iowa
    113 DaeSean Hamilton WR Penn State
    5 156 Troy Fumagalli TE Wisconsin
    6 183 Sam Jones G Arizona State
    217 Keishawn Bierria LB Washington
    7 226 David Williams RB Arkansas

1 20 Noah Fant TE Iowa
    2 41 Dalton Risner OT Kansas State
    42 Drew Lock QB Missouri
    3 71 Dre'mont Jones DT Ohio State
    5 156 Justin Hollins LB Oregon
    6 187 Juwann Winfree WR Colorado

When you consider the miss on 1st rounders here other than Chubb, when you consider that the best draft was 2018 with Kubes helping, and the worst draft in 2017 for these years was just a piece of junk in a dirty corner, this is awful. Even looking at this current year's draft class, while Risner looks like a baller, the rest is a meh. Anyone that could seriously argue they would rather have Noah Fant and Drew Lock than Devin Bush hasn't been watching our defense lose games for us this year. How'd that work out?

The reality is with seasons of 9-7, 6-10, 5-11 and now 0-4, with the above personnel moves and record which have served to deplete this team of talent, along with 4 different head coaches, there is no defensible position other than to show Mr. Elway the door (thanks for the memories). If they want to be true to the legacy of Pat Bowlen, they need to fire him.

I used to think the worst thing to ever happen to the Broncos was McDaniels. Now I realize that the worst thing to ever happen to the Broncos was...dare I say it?....John Elway (the GM, ironically John Elway the player was one of the best things in Broncos history which is why this is painful). This one's on John!
    Just some facts to add for when they come in and say

“5 division titles and a super bowl victory”.

Manning won those division titles making the GM look far better than he actually was.

After a 9-7 season, Gary’s staff wasn’t good enough nor deserving of any more time according to the GMs standards. Gary stepped down rather than firing his 9-7 staff one year removed from a super bowl victory!

Since then that same GM has delivered us our First Back to back losing seasons since 1972, now spiraling toward a third straight.

Forced a great super bowl winning coach to step away because he was in love with a failing defensive coordinator in Miami at the time and if He had his way, he would’ve hired that same failing defensive coordinator in 2015 prior to winning a Super Bowl.

First 0-3 Broncos in 52 years

First team to record zero sacks, zero turnovers in first 3 games in more than 50 years.

More first round fails and draft misses out of all broncos GMs of the past.

Pat Bowlen had just 4 head coaches from 1983-2010, that is 27 years folks while
    John the great has had 4 different head coaches in just 9 seasons.

No other team has experienced this level of drop off within five years of winning the Super Bowl?

Vic Fangio is the first coach in broncos history to start 0-4
    Elway gave him everything to work with which is now dragging even Vic Fangio down and destroying his reputation.

Why the double standards folks? Anyone else would had been tarred and feathered.
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 09-29-2019 at 08:38 PM.

Unfortunately, I don’t think anyone has the brass to fire Elway. More than likely, he will have to resign.

I loved John Elway the quarterback, but not John Elway the GM. I give him some credit for getting P. Manning to come to Denver, but I’ll give credit to Manning for taking this organization to the top. If it weren’t for Manning getting involved with negotiations, many of the key free agents from those years most likely would not have come.

If the past years since SB50 haven’t shown you anything, you are not paying attention. This is an organization in crisis mode, right now. It’s time for some major changes starting at the top. Thank you for your services, John. Now kindly let someone else do the job the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo0730 View Post
    We're a bad, bad, irrelevant franchise right now. Even worse than the Jets because at least the Jets benefit from New York.
    The Jets at least have a QB to build around (out temporarily). Lock could be a guy to build around but won’t know unless he plays. I think some people believe we’re just 2-3 players from the 2015 team and that just isn’t reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post

#7 #7 #7

Well that is fine, you can keep going with him wherever he ends up.

He’s been endorsing a lot of ads for the pharmaceutical industry lately. Even if his track record there isn’t so good after a few years, you could perhaps tell the investors that he’s John Elway with two super bowl rings and a third won off the backs of Wade Philips, Gary Kubiak, and Peyton Manning...

Yeah we’ll see how far that gets you there!

Special shout out to Brian Xander’s for bringing Von Miller to the Denver franchise! Xander’s was the GM back in 2011!
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 09-29-2019 at 08:46 PM.

#7 #7 #7

The day is coming when you have to ask yourself if you are an Elway fan, or a Broncos fan. Those Lombardi trophies didn't mean anything today, and won't next season.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    ...Manning won those division titles making the GM look far better than he actually was.

Forced a great super bowl winning coach to step away because he was in love with a failing defensive coordinator in Miami at the time and if He had his way, he would’ve hired that same failing defensive coordinator in 2015 prior to winning a Super Bowl...
    Lol. I forgot that VJ was his first choice over Phillips. My god. So true what you say! Elway got REALLY lucky on that SB win. I guess the luck's run out now.
    To permit irresponsible authority is to sell disaster. (Heinlein)...like Broncos season tickets!

That would be a definite No!

Elway swings for the fences, he was a gunslinger when he played here and he's a gunslinger now.

He wants another Lombardi!!! So do I, I can hardly wait to see what he does next... Can you imagine what 's going on in his head right now?

Believe or get left behind!
    This was very comical. I really needed this laugh. I really think you are serious too.

No but he should step down after the season

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    The day is coming when you have to ask yourself if you are an Elway fan, or a Broncos fan. Those Lombardi trophies didn't mean anything today, and won't next season.
    There are 12 NFL franchises that have not won a Superbowl...

Could be 13 ... But its not.

They will always mean something to me, got the autographed SB helmet to remind me someday when I don't remember so good.
    [

Quote Originally Posted by rst08tierney View Post
    No but he should step down after the season
    Why would he do that, and what if he doesn't?