View Poll Results: Should John Elway be fired?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

61 54.95%
  • No

50 45.05%
Page 18 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    By going along by default you’re saying Ellis has been responsible for the performance of the Broncos. That would mean Ellis was responsible for delivering the third Lombardi. By your thought process Elway had nothing to do with the success, rather it was Ellis making everything happen.
    It starts at the top and trickles down. Denver needs a real owner and not a trustee. Elway deserves a lot of the blame but so does Ellis. Elway feels no pressure at his position from someone above. Yes they won us a SB but that only buys you so much time. We had 3 really bad seasons( including this year) and one mediocre season. Most GMs would have been fired and I think Elway would have been fired so much soon if Manning didn’t bail him out. During the times with Manning and up two a few years ago, I don’t think anyone had a worse drafting than us. If there was we are def bottom 3. Ellis need to appoint a new Owner and Elway need to step down.

Quote Originally Posted by Murph2432 View Post
    It starts at the top and trickles down. Denver needs a real owner and not a trustee. Elway deserves a lot of the blame but so does Ellis. Elway feels no pressure at his position from someone above. Yes they won us a SB but that only buys you so much time. We had 3 really bad seasons( including this year) and one mediocre season. Most GMs would have been fired and I think Elway would have been fired so much soon if Manning didn’t bail him out. During the times with Manning and up two a few years ago, I don’t think anyone had a worse drafting than us. If there was we are def bottom 3. Ellis need to appoint a new Owner and Elway need to step down.
    I agree with much of what you’ve said. Some fans have given Elway all the credit for success and bringing the Lombardi back to Denver. Now that the team has collapsed some are blaming Ellis. I wouldn’t disagree he’s played some role however, putting blame on Ellis would require those fans to recognize him as the main reason for the success. It is hypocritical to credit Elway for success and blame Ellis for failure.

I agree with much of what you’ve said. Some fans have given Elway all the credit for success and bringing the Lombardi back to Denver. Now that the team has collapsed some are blaming Ellis. I wouldn’t disagree he’s played some role however, putting blame on Ellis would require those fans to recognize him as the main reason for the success. It is hypocritical to credit Elway for success and blame Ellis for failure.
    True, but I wonder where the Broncos would be if Elway could have brought in Shanny and Kubes as coaches? Not sure we wouldn't be in a better situation. Kubes has been a common denominator with all the SBs. Now that hes gone, things look kinda grim.

Quote Originally Posted by jflee66 View Post
    True, but I wonder where the Broncos would be if Elway could have brought in Shanny and Kubes as coaches? Not sure we wouldn't be in a better situation. Kubes has been a common denominator with all the SBs. Now that hes gone, things look kinda grim.
    It’s hypothetical. Shanahan didn’t have much success in Washington. With this roster I’m not convinced he would have success. As far as Kubiak, I’ve never bought the line he left for reasons related to his health. Besides, reports said Ellis gave Elway the leeway to hire Shanahan - his only ask was for Elway to conduct a full interview process with multiple candidates.

You all are late to this party. I remember when I told you all this I was a troll

How Have the Denver Broncos Not Fired John Elway?
    By Ryan Phillips | Sep 10 2019

https://www.thebiglead.com/amp/posts...y-01dmxk6km5gk

John Elway is somehow still employed.

The Denver Broncos’ general manager and president of football operations is still getting paid to make decisions for the franchise despite a wealth of evidence that he has no earthly idea what he’s doing. Years of mismanagement has brought Denver to where it is now: an irrelevant franchise with no hope moving forward. It’s long past time for the Broncos to put Elway out to pasture.

Since Peyton Manning’s retirement following a Super Bowl title in January of 2016, the Broncos have crumbled under Elway’s watch. In 2016 they went 9-7, then following that up by going 5-11 in 2017 and 6-10 in 2018. After 2018’s debacle of a season, Elway declared with not a hint of irony, “We’re not that far off.”

The Broncos are “not that far off” from competing in the same way I’m “not that far off” from landing a date with Scarlett Johansson.

That led the Broncos to actually attempt to compete in 2019, instead of doing the prudent thing and rebuilding. Rather than trading pieces that could help bring back draft capital, he actually traded a draft pick to acquire Joe Flacco. Yes, Joe freaking Flacco is who Elway acquired to save his franchise. Good luck with that, Johnny.

Frankly, it might not matter if Elway had acquired a ton of picks – we all know he wouldn’t use them wisely. Other than drafting Von Miller with the second pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, he’s repeatedly wasted high picks on risky or flat-out terrible players. He spent his 2014 first-rounder on wholly average cornerback Bradley Roby, wasted his 2015 first on walking IR designation Shane Ray (who is out of football) and threw away his 2016 first on Paxton Lynch (ouch).

Elway has selected just two players who have become Pro Bowlers in their time with the Broncos. Two! Oh, and worth noting, both of those players — Miller and Julius Thomas — were selected during Elway’s first draft in 2011, when former GM Brian Xanders was advising him.

That kind of draft mismanagement is how you field a team that gets outclassed by the Oakland Raiders to open the season. I’m sure reading back his draft history will have Elway reacting like he did when Will Ferrell (as Harry Caray) congratulated him on winning a Super Bowl, then told him to get his teeth fixed.

Perhaps nowhere has Elway’s roster mismanagement been more obvious than the quarterback position. Elway signed Peyton Manning in 2012 and with the future Hall of Famer under center, the Broncos won four division titles and reached two Super Bowls, winning one. Other than lucking into Manning, his evaluation of signal-callers has been nothing short of hilarious.

The list of quarterbacks he’s acquired is long and wildly undistinguished. He’s drafted Brock Osweiler, Zac Dysert, Trevor Siemian, Paxton Lynch and Drew Lock. While also signing Case Keenum to a two-year, $36 million deal in 2018. All of those guys worked out great. This year he actually traded a pick for Flacco and selected Lock in the third round. Given his track record, I’m not optimistic about either’s future.

Listen, I get why it will be difficult for the Broncos to fire Elway. He’s a franchise legend. He’s a Hall of Famer who has had a hand in bringing three Super Bowl titles to Denver. Yeah, it’s hard to push out someone you love. It’s the same reason you never do business with family members. But at this point, Elway is clearly in over his head as an NFL executive.

It’s long past time for the Broncos to let Elway go and hire a professional as general manager.

Listen, I get why it will be difficult for the Broncos to fire Elway. He’s a franchise legend. He’s a Hall of Famer who has had a hand in bringing three Super Bowl titles to Denver. Yeah, it’s hard to push out someone you love. It’s the same reason you never do business with family members. But at this point, Elway is clearly in over his head as an NFL executive.

It’s long past time for the Broncos to let Elway go and hire a professional as general manager.
    Written by a moron

More than half of the NFL would love to have a team's record that Elway has since he took over as GM.

8+ years
    5 Division Titles
    2 Super Bowls
    1 Ring

Half of the NFL has not even won a Super Bowl in the last 30 years.
    Champ Bailey is the only player in NFL history to earn 200+ (203) Passes Defended
    Terrell Davis is 3rd all time in rushing yards per game (97.5)

Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    Written by a moron

More than half of the NFL would love to have a team's record that Elway has since he took over as GM.

8+ years
    5 Division Titles
    2 Super Bowls
    1 Ring

But don't worry, because drafting is as exact science, where the skilled GM's never miss on any draft picks. Where the skilled GMs all have long lived dynasties and perpetually deep rosters.

Looking at it more closely...it almost looks like every GM regularly makes mistakes and has both good and bad outcomes...almost like any other human on earth.

That said, it's good to know that there is some random unproven name waiting out there in the wings, that is guaranteed*to bring Denver back to the top, with no risk of repeat failure. Onward and upward!

Written by a moron

8+ years
    5 Division Titles
    2 Super Bowls
    1 Ring

It’s easy to cherry pick the article and name call the author, who by the way acknowledged the early success. You didn’t dispute the facts presented on Elway’s bad moves that led to the collapse of the Broncos.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    But don't worry, because drafting is as exact science, where the skilled GM's never miss on any draft picks. Where the skilled GMs all have long lived dynasties and perpetually deep rosters.

Looking at it more closely...it almost looks like every GM regularly makes mistakes and has both good and bad outcomes...almost like any other human on earth.

That said, it's good to know that there is some random unproven name waiting out there in the wings, that is guaranteed*to bring Denver back to the top, with no risk of repeat failure. Onward and upward!
    Essentially, you’re saying Elway is like every other GM and just happened to have good and bad outcomes. It wasn’t really Elway, any other GM would have won the SB50 followed by a 20-32 record and two eight game losing streaks. Sounds like the Broncos paid him too much!

So gang....now that we've essentially voted...

Which one of us is going to tell Big John????

Written by a moron

8+ years
    5 Division Titles
    2 Super Bowls
    1 Ring

What is Elway's record since the departure of Manning? What has he done to improve that record?

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    So gang....now that we've essentially voted...

Which one of us is going to tell Big John????

That's a huge problem. The team has no true owner who can and will make those kind of big decisions. These are very dark days for the franchise, and I'm not seeing a path for improvement any time in the near future.

It’s easy to cherry pick the article and name call the author, who by the way acknowledged the early success. You didn’t dispute the facts presented on Elway’s bad moves that led to the collapse of the Broncos.
    Actually I am calling out his conclusions.

People who want Elway fired are cherry picking the last few years and forgetting about 5 of the 8+ years.
    Champ Bailey is the only player in NFL history to earn 200+ (203) Passes Defended
    Terrell Davis is 3rd all time in rushing yards per game (97.5)

Essentially, you’re saying Elway is like every other GM and just happened to have good and bad outcomes. It wasn’t really Elway, any other GM would have won the SB50 followed by a 20-32 record and two eight game losing streaks. Sounds like the Broncos paid him too much!
    I look at probability - you yourself stated that Elway "captured lightning in a bottle." I would agree with that. Is there a guarantee that a random replacement will do the same? Or is it a roll of the dice and a hope?

Now, I'm not saying that we should stick with Elway with a perennial losing record until he looks like the Crypt Keeper...I'm just saying, we HAVE had tremendous success during the early portion of his tenure. Now perhaps where the pro and anti-Elway folks go their separate ways is in their beliefs on whom was the ultimate architect of those winning teams. Many believe that Manning was solely or largely responsible, and/or that Wade was solely or largely responsible...and now that they're gone, Elway is being exposed as an incompetent GM.

I would disagree with this notion...but again, this is all just opinion. None of us are privy to all of the facts and backroom discussions to have any sort of objective handle on this. We all have our opinions on the matter.

But in the end - John Elway is beloved by many. He is revered as a legend and sports hero. If the Denver Broncos replace John Elway with a random unproven name...the expectations will be enormous to deliver greatness. If that name doesn't deliver on that hope...as we all know, there is risk with any decision - then that decision could be historically panned.

My personal opinion is this - for each year the Broncos suck, Elway loses some of that glossy luster. How many years must we suck before replacing him with a roll of the dice becomes the only logical answer? Perhaps Drew Lock is that line. Should we fail with him under center, and with similar coaching issues, I'd be inclined to cut the cord.

Just note that there's risk either way. Many GM's have not had the success that Elway has had...it is not a slam-dunk guaranteed golden ticket with replacing him. Or keeping him. We all have our opinions.