View Poll Results: Should John Elway be fired?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

56 57.14%
  • No

42 42.86%
Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    We went 9-7 post PM after winning the Super Bowl

TB went 7-9 and 5-11 after winning the Super Bowl win

Ravens went 8-8 after a Super Bowl win

Giants went 9-7 after a Super Bowl win and then went on to have 3 losing seasons

My guess the only reason we do not have more examples is because of the Patriots Dynasty
    The Broncos share the worst win percentage (39%) over four years after winning a Super Bowl for 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019. That spans 54 years, so itís not a fluke with the Patriots dynasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Let’s not be so quick to dismiss the scripted opening drive for a TD. Those were still Scangarello’s plays on the script. Secondly, the chunk play you mentioned was the type of play many fans have called for, using Flacco’s arm strength to stretch the field. Those two drives accounted for 156 yards.

The offense had 217 more yards which exceeds the production of the opening two drives. The strip allowed by Bolles prevented a TD. McManus missed a FG. The offense had a drive approaching the red zone stalled by a holding call. The offense stalled on another good drive due to the penalty on Risner.

Scangarello also had to be somewhat conservative due to the poor decisions by Spencer to field punts on the 5 yard line.

As far as the naked bootlegs where Flacco actually attempted passes, there was one in the 1st half and three in the second half. I don’t think four in a game is as much of an issue you’re making of it.
    I do, I think it is a big issue when it isn't working, and you are going three and out series after series, therefore it's making up a large percentage of your play calling. I also was not dismissing the play-calling on the opening drive, I said it was "beautifully scripted". However, he has all week to put that plan together based on what he is watching on film, I would hope most good coordinators can at least gain a field position advantage on the opening drive.

Don't get me wrong, I am not blaming everything on him, just that I think we need more balance like we seen against the Chargers, and need to be a little more creative with some of our really dynamic players. I agree that our punt returner needs to gain some awareness on what to leave and what to catch. I remember being taught at a camp as a kid, stand at the 10 yard line, if it goes over your head, you let it hit the ground, if you need to move forward, then you take it and go.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    I do, I think it is a big issue when it isn't working, and you are going three and out series after series, therefore it's making up a large percentage of your play calling. I also was not dismissing the play-calling on the opening drive, I said it was "beautifully scripted". However, he has all week to put that plan together based on what he is watching on film, I would hope most good coordinators can at least gain a field position advantage on the opening drive.

Don't get me wrong, I am not blaming everything on him, just that I think we need more balance like we seen against the Chargers, and need to be a little more creative with some of our really dynamic players. I agree that our punt returner needs to gain some awareness on what to leave and what to catch. I remember being taught at a camp as a kid, stand at the 10 yard line, if it goes over your head, you let it hit the ground, if you need to move forward, then you take it and go.
    Iím going to leave it there as this thread is on Elway. Weíre going down a rabbit hole on Scangarello - good discussion just not the right thread.
    Last edited by Fantaztic7; 10-07-2019 at 08:32 AM.

I personally do not want Elway being the person leading the rebuild. And in my opinion, this program requires a full rebuild.

I don't have an issue with Fangio at this point. We look miles more prepared and competitive than we did under Joseph.

Quote Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
    I personally do not want Elway being the person leading the rebuild. And in my opinion, this program requires a full rebuild.

I don't have an issue with Fangio at this point. We look miles more prepared and competitive than we did under Joseph.
    The issue in that situation would be that any new General Manager candidate would come in here wanting their own coach, own staff, and have an idea of the kind of guy they want to run their program. That's not saying a new General Manager wouldn't want Fangio, but odds are he has other ideas for that position.

If a new General Manager was hired, I would hope that they are hired with full control and they have the keys to the castle so to speak, they get to make all the calls. Hiring some type of puppet to be a yes man to someone else in control has happened before in many places around the league, and that creates conflict. I also wouldn't want to hire someone for that role with the notion that they need to keep Fangio around, they should be able to make that call on their own.

I don't think Elway would be fired anyway despite personally being okay with it potentially happening. But in the unlikely case it was to happen, we should expect turnover at the head coaching position again.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    The Broncos share the worst win percentage (39%) over four years after winning a Super Bowl for 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019. That spans 54 years, so it’s not a fluke with the Patriots dynasty.
    You do realize free agency has dramatically changed how teams look from year to year?
    All I want for Christmas is a Bronco QB controversy

Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    You do realize free agency has dramatically changed how teams look from year to year?
    NFL Free Agency, at least modern free agency runs from 1993-present. There have been 27 Super Bowl winners since free agency started. Which team do you think has the worst three year record after winning a Super Bowl?

The Denver Broncos, 20-28.

You do realize the other 26 Super Bowl winners had to deal with free agency?

Since 1993 how many teams have not even been to the superbowl let alone the playoffs?

I am too lazy to look it up but I am sure that Denver is the only team to have 2 QB's retire after their last Super Bowl win. Then our backup left for free agency. Elway is not getting a pass from me for some poor management but we have had some players under perform that looked ready and some bomb free-agent signings. For our crumby record so far we have been in every game with a legitimate chance to win all of the games. That didn't happen the last 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by WYBRONCO View Post
    I am too lazy to look it up but I am sure that Denver is the only team to have 2 QB's retire after their last Super Bowl win. Then our backup left for free agency. Elway is not getting a pass from me for some poor management but we have had some players under perform that looked ready and some bomb free-agent signings. For our crumby record so far we have been in every game with a legitimate chance to win all of the games. That didn't happen the last 3 years.
    One of his biggest blunders was not extending Osweiler when he should had.

I know BO wasnít all that great a QB but he performed well under Kubiak and if there would had been some longevity between the two we may had won more division titles and perhaps another super bowl. God knows we had the defense still.

Itís just another area where Elway went stubbornly wrong and purposely.

Now Iím not saying pay BO 16 mill but John couldíve resigned him the season prior for around 12!

John thought he could easily find replacements and heís finding out now that itís not so easy.

Elway offered Oz more money then he was worth. That's already been proven. Can you imagine if Oz took that deal and amounted to what he is . It would be even more crap to be thrown at Elway.

Quote Originally Posted by orange crush75 View Post
    Elway offered Oz more money then he was worth. That's already been proven. Can you imagine if Oz took that deal and amounted to what he is . It would be even more crap to be thrown at Elway.
    We'll never know exactly how good Brock could have been had he signed the deal here and just stayed. There's no question we don't win the Super Bowl without his play during the 2015 season.

Now, Brock deserves brunt of the blame for the situation because he made a bad decision in going to Houston to work with a coach who didn't want him there, which ultimately got him benched and shot his confidence dead. But the Broncos certainly mishandled that situation from the get-go. Maybe it all worked out, but I suspect Brock could have been at least a Flacco-type quarterback.

Yes I agree with Oz helped us get to the superbowl , however I'm talking about his play from his leaving Denver till now.

Yes I agree with Oz helped us get to the superbowl , however I'm talking about his play from his leaving Denver till now.
    I get that but so much about being a successful quarterback is confidence, and Brock's confidence was shot while in Houston and playing for a coach that not only didn't want him there, but did next to nothing to support him.

Now again, a lot of that is on Brock because he chose to go to Houston without even meeting with O'Brien. But I feel Osweiler could have been as successful playing-wise as a Flacco had he just stayed here and been the guy. We'll never know, but that's how I feel.

He played well enough to beat the patriots on a cold and snowy night. Under Gary he couldíve had a better career. Just look at Matt Schaub, Trevor Siemian, JOE FLACCO.

Brock couldíve went so much further if given the chance and Iíd say he learned his lesson because he did return and even expressed great interest in resigning the following season however the guy that drafted him, suddenly wanted nothing to do with him.

Why?

Was it that he realized he made a bad draft selection or could it be that the man just tends to hold a grudge?
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 10-08-2019 at 07:15 AM.