View Poll Results: Should John Elway be fired?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

57 54.29%
  • No

48 45.71%
Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BeelzeBob View Post
    So you would rather we paid Osweiler big money to be a terrible QB? That wouldíve been a better handling of the situation?
    The best situation would have been for Elway to lock Brock up prior to the 2015 season. He could have signed Brock to a 3-year contract for a very small amount of money and had even if it had not worked out by the end of it, the Broncos could have devoted resources and draft picks to positions outside of quarterback and been in a much better position right now.

Regardless of how you feel about Brock or how his career played out, the Broncos mishandled that situation completely. I still believe (and it's strictly MY belief) that Brock could have had a solid, Andy Dalton or Joe Flacco-type career had he stayed put in Denver.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo0730 View Post
    The best situation would have been for Elway to lock Brock up prior to the 2015 season. He could have signed Brock to a 3-year contract for a very small amount of money and had even if it had not worked out by the end of it, the Broncos could have devoted resources and draft picks to positions outside of quarterback and been in a much better position right now.

Regardless of how you feel about Brock or how his career played out, the Broncos mishandled that situation completely. I still believe (and it's strictly MY belief) that Brock could have had a solid, Andy Dalton or Joe Flacco-type career had he stayed put in Denver.
    I disagree, Brock felt disrespected about going back to the bench once Peyton got healthy again. We offered him a contract to stay and he took a slightly better deal. Anybody trying to pin that situation on Elway are just simply upset and trying to find anything and everything they can reach for to justify their beliefs that he sucks at his job. Brock left, and he sucks as a QB. I'm glad we didn't get sucked into a multi year signing with him.

Would he have been better here if he stayed? I doubt it since he came back and still couldn't handle things. Spouts with 3 different teams in a 4 year span just proves that he isn't good. I don't blame John for drafting him though, the value in the 2nd round was worth the risk and I remember that draft day...... everyone liked it

Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    I disagree, Brock felt disrespected about going back to the bench once Peyton got healthy again. We offered him a contract to stay and he took a slightly better deal. Anybody trying to pin that situation on Elway are just simply upset and trying to find anything and everything they can reach for to justify their beliefs that he sucks at his job. Brock left, and he sucks as a QB. I'm glad we didn't get sucked into a multi year signing with him.

Would he have been better here if he stayed? I doubt it since he came back and still couldn't handle things. Spouts with 3 different teams in a 4 year span just proves that he isn't good. I don't blame John for drafting him though, the value in the 2nd round was worth the risk and I remember that draft day...... everyone liked it

There certainly was hurt feelings. He didn't even go to the White House with the team. It was like a sloppy break up with his first girlfriend.

Could Elway have given him a contract offer earlier? Maybe. But Manning want clear with his intentions early and no GM, good it bad, would have to QBs on the roster on high value contracts.

Os chose to go. It's ok to accept that. We were screwed with him leaving and sure enough would have been screwed had he stayed. There is nothing to say he would have been magically better than he was with Houston under Kubes after teams had more and more film on him.

Blame Elway for drafting him in the first place but not for Is choosing Houston over the Broncos in FA.

I don't consider a difference of $4 million a year plus millions more in guaranteed money a "slight difference" but then again I'm not a millionaire.

I understand that Brock felt disrespected about going to the bench, but the deal should have been done well before that. That's another black mark on Elway's resume. He consistently waits for players to enter the final year of their contracts.

Again, this is my opinion. Brock wasn't elite by any stretch but he played very well for us in absence of Manning during 2015 and I think that could have continued into later seasons. When he came back to Denver his confidence was shot after a horrendous stint in Houston, which I've stated was primarily his fault since he chose to go there without meeting the head coach first. Even still, had Elway extended Brock in the early part of 2015, prior to the start of the season, then I believe things would have worked out differently for this team in 2017 and possibly 2018. They certainly wouldn't have invested draft picks and money into Lynch, Sanchez, and Keenum.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    There certainly was hurt feelings. He didn't even go to the White House with the team. It was like a sloppy break up with his first girlfriend.

Could Elway have given him a contract offer earlier? Maybe. But Manning want clear with his intentions early and no GM, good it bad, would have to QBs on the roster on high value contracts.

Os chose to go. It's ok to accept that. We were screwed with him leaving and sure enough would have been screwed had he stayed. There is nothing to say he would have been magically better than he was with Houston under Kubes after teams had more and more film on him.

Blame Elway for drafting him in the first place but not for Is choosing Houston over the Broncos in FA.
    Although Manningís intentions werenít known, itís not like he had multiple years left in the tank. I think itís a fair point that Elway could have tried to extend Osweiler earlier (maybe he tried and we donít know?).

I donít think itís too far of a stretch Osweiler could have played better by staying in Denver. He was 5-2 in 2015 with the Broncos and 8-6 in 2016 in Houston (13-8). Obviously it helped having a strong defense in 2015, but he made some plays (remember the New England game). Under Kubiak and continuity with the playbook he might have settled in nicely. Again, he was 8-6 after going to a new team, coaches and players. The line in Denver may have hindered his success because we know that didnít improve, at least in a meaningful way.

Instead of getting sucked into a multi-year deal with Osweiler, we got sucked into Mark Sanchez, Siemian, Dysert, Lynch, Osweiler (Part II), Keenum, Hogan, Flacco, Lock and Allen. Did I miss anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Although Manning’s intentions weren’t known, it’s not like he had multiple years left in the tank. I think it’s a fair point that Elway could have tried to extend Osweiler earlier (maybe he tried and we don’t know?).

I don’t think it’s too far of a stretch Osweiler could have played better by staying in Denver. He was 5-2 in 2015 with the Broncos and 8-6 in 2016 in Houston (13-8). Obviously it helped having a strong defense in 2015, but he made some plays (remember the New England game). Under Kubiak and continuity with the playbook he might have settled in nicely. Again, he was 8-6 after going to a new team, coaches and players. The line in Denver may have hindered his success because we know that didn’t improve, at least in a meaningful way.

Instead of getting sucked into a multi-year deal with Osweiler, we got sucked into Mark Sanchez, Siemian, Dysert, Lynch, Osweiler (Part II), Keenum, Hogan, Flacco, Lock and Allen. Did I miss anyone?
    There were reports that Elway was going to move on from Manning after the 2014 season and was talked out of it, but generally had no intention of bringing back Manning in that final year (which would have been 2016 had he not retired) when he was due a ridiculous amount of money especially after Manning substantially declined at the end of 2014 and throughout 2015.

There was plenty of opportunity to re-sign Osweiler prior to that San Diego game in which he got benched. I understand once that event happened that barring paying him more money than Houston he wasn't going to re-sign here. But given that they knew Manning wasn't coming back in 2016 even if he wanted to, Osweiler should have been re-signed much sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo0730 View Post
    There were reports that Elway was going to move on from Manning after the 2014 season and was talked out of it, but generally had no intention of bringing back Manning in that final year (which would have been 2016 had he not retired) when he was due a ridiculous amount of money especially after Manning substantially declined at the end of 2014 and throughout 2015.

There was plenty of opportunity to re-sign Osweiler prior to that San Diego game in which he got benched. I understand once that event happened that barring paying him more money than Houston he wasn't going to re-sign here. But given that they knew Manning wasn't coming back in 2016 even if he wanted to, Osweiler should have been re-signed much sooner.
    Good points. Aside from Osweiler, Elway didnít have to sign Sanchez. Not that Sanchez would have been great, but I think Kubiak got too frustrated with a couple of turnovers. They cut Sanchez and went with Siemian. There were other quarterbacks available. Every potential free agent quarterback not signed was a decision by Elway. Quarterbacks passed in the draft were decisions.

Whenever talking about Elwayís record, people are quick to credit Elway for good decisions, those that led to success. Whenever dissecting where things went wrong thereís a list of excuses - itís someone else or the circumstances.

Hopefully Lock will break the trend and in the meantime maybe this team will turn the corner after a much needed win last Sunday.

Hindsight is always 20/20.
    Elway is doing a good job overseeing the rebuild that has been in process for 2 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jack View Post
    Elway is doing a good job overseeing the rebuild that has been in process for 2 years now.
    2 years, so 2019 and 2018? What about 2016 and 2017? What were those years?

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    I think after Manning left we were kind of in a "soft rebuild"? (Hoping to compete, but realizing that we need some young players)

I think We have a pretty young team now?

And we are still rebuilding.

That's why it was a good idea to bring in a veteran quarterback like Joe Flacco, and draft a Young quarterback like Drew lock.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    Those were bad years. The idea that a successful GM has good drafts every year is ridiculous. Every team misses in the draft. The last two drafts look good. We have a lot of young guys playing. With one more good draft, things can finally turn.

Elway is not without fault for the current downturn in this franchise but I'm more inclined to give him credit for his first 5 years as gm. Not acknowledging those successes is disingenuous when discussing his future with the team.

Yeah we are a young team. Most of our players are apparently under 26. I think Mike Evan's said theres only 7 players who are over 30.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jack View Post
    You don't rebuild with Keenum and Flacco. That's the opposite of rebuilding.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco51 View Post
    Are we ignoring the high draft pick used on Lock? Perhaps having him sit in learn is part of the rebuilding process.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco51 View Post
    You always have a veteran quarterback, when you're rebuilding, and you draft a Young quarterback. Very good move on John Elway's part. When the Young quarterback is good enough he beats out the old veteran.