View Poll Results: Should John Elway be fired?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

61 54.95%
  • No

50 45.05%
Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BeelzeBob View Post
    That is completely untrue. The two years he drafted QBs high Russell Wilson and Dak Prescott were taken later in the draft. He could've had either of those guys. He also could've traded up for Mahomes (Kansas City was seven picks lower than us) rather than drafting Bolles. Yeah, quarterbacks have been available.
    What a painful thought. Ask yourself right now, would you rather have had Mahomes or Bolles right now? Ugh.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    What a painful thought. Ask yourself right now, would you rather have had Mahomes or Bolles right now? Ugh.
    Just imagine how the Bills feel having actually traded the pick away. Talk about blowing it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    Names:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/12/28/ge...rd-colts-model

These are some of the names that should be in the mix. Joe Ellis would have to sit down with these people, probably with the help of a consultant, and decide who is the right guy for the job.

However: 1) Will Ellis have the guts to fire Elway? 2) Can Ellis hire the right GM? Will he hire another HC with GM powers like he did with McDaniels?

The ownership situation is the main issue with the Broncos right now. All the other issues trickle down from the top. Some people say that Joe Ellis is the one who did not want to hire Kyle Shanahan and did not want to pay Wade Phillips. We know Ellis blocked Elway from hiring Mike Shanahan. There is no owner to resolve these matters and tell either Ellis or Elway what is going to be.

Elway seems to be too prideful to accept reality and start a rebuilding process, so he hired 60-year old Fangio, traded for Flacco [then added dead money to his contract], made James the highest-paid RT, signed Kareem Jackson to a $14 million cap number in 2020, paid Callahan with a bad foot, raised Chris Harris' salary, etc, all to compete this season, and the bottom line is that this team is carrying an 8-game losing streak and there has never been an 0-5 start in Broncos history - and it might happen next week.

If you have to rebuild, do it. Fix the salary cap, find a young QB, a long-term coach... However, Elway continues to sell the illusion that his team is ready to compete and then starts 0-4 while carrying more than $22 million in dead money. It would make sense to "agree to mutually part ways". Will it happen? Can Joe Ellis pull the right strings? Elway is only part of the problem as long as the Broncos don't have a good owner like Pat Bowlen to set the tone and hold everyone accountable.
    going winless will force Ellis' hand to do something about Elway. It may be better in the long run to completely tank this season to truly encourage change. The fanbase will completely bottom out if nothing is addressed or done about it.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

It is a weak roster. You don't get to 0-4 with talented players. That's on Elway. A large part of me wants Lock to come in and elevate the players around him, but the likelihood of that is extremely low.
    0-8 going back to last season. There is some possibility of Lock elevating players around him. During preseason I noticed the offense picking it up a notch when Lock came in. Granted it was the 2s but they played with intensity (subjective I know but thatís how it looked).

Elway needs to go regardless of how Lock plays (if he plays). The rest of the roster has too many holes and itís because Elway made too many mistakes.

Heads need to roll for the way this team started. Losing at home to the Jags is unacceptable. Fangio needs to be shown the door with that pathetic defense. Although it lacks talent itís badly coached.

Fangio talks a big game but heís in over his head. Another bad hire by Elway.

Definitely bolles. Hes a tempo setter and intimidates defenders.

going winless will force Ellis' hand to do something about Elway. It may be better in the long run to completely tank this season to truly encourage change. The fanbase will completely bottom out if nothing is addressed or done about it.
    We aren't going winless, we are not that historically bad of a team. We will win a few games but this is one I had a guarantee stamp on so what do I know.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    0-8 going back to last season. There is some possibility of Lock elevating players around him. During preseason I noticed the offense picking it up a notch when Lock came in. Granted it was the 2s but they played with intensity (subjective I know but that’s how it looked).

Elway needs to go regardless of how Lock plays (if he plays). The rest of the roster has too many holes and it’s because Elway made too many mistakes.

Heads need to roll for the way this team started. Losing at home to the Jags is unacceptable. Fangio needs to be shown the door with that pathetic defense. Although it lacks talent it’s badly coached.

Fangio talks a big game but he’s in over his head. Another bad hire by Elway.
    Yeah. There really isn't a way to spin saving Elway anymore, not after 3 losing seasons. At this point Ellis, Elway, Fangio all must go. Von will need to be traded. The fans also will have to embrace the complete rebuild, which I don't believe many will be able to stomach it.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Yeah. There really isn't a way to spin saving Elway anymore, not after 3 losing seasons. At this point Ellis, Elway, Fangio all must go. Von will need to be traded. The fans also will have to embrace the complete rebuild, which I don't believe many will be able to stomach it.
    I mean, can they stomach what they see now?

Russel Wilson, are you serious? Every team in the league passed on him at least 3 times.
    Mahomes is a good quarterback. Were you beating the drum for him at the time or were you like most analysts assuming Elway made the right pick with Bradley Chubb.
    Some of this rear view mirror armchair analysis is astounding

Quote Originally Posted by Houshmazode View Post
    This is his 6th year, he's been here long enough.
    Itís actually Elwayís 9th as GM.

The reality is, had Bowlen still been alive & cognitive, there's a strong likelihood Elway would have been fired last season and wouldn't have been able to hire Fangio.

Allowing Elway to make that hire has really put this franchise in a bind, because moving on from Elway means (in all likelihood) moving on from Fangio.

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    We aren't going winless, we are not that historically bad of a team. We will win a few games but this is one I had a guarantee stamp on so what do I know.....
    At this point getting a few wins does not help this team at all.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Russel Wilson, are you serious? Every team in the league passed on him at least 3 times.
    Mahomes is a good quarterback. Were you beating the drum for him at the time or were you like most analysts assuming Elway made the right pick with Bradley Chubb.
    yet the real GM is up there making no better decisions.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by mojo0730 View Post
    I mean, can they stomach what they see now?
    I think outside of this board, fans are still in love with Elway the player, and allow that to influence their decision on him as a GM. Watching him walk will undoubtedly cause intense backlash on the forums and fandom and will subsequently make the next GM for the rebuild a nightmare position.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Not to change subjects, but Chubb (Ď18) and Mahomes (Ď17) were in different draft classes.