View Poll Results: Should John Elway be fired?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

61 54.95%
  • No

50 45.05%
Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    Yeah. There really isn't a way to spin saving Elway anymore, not after 3 losing seasons. At this point Ellis, Elway, Fangio all must go. Von will need to be traded. The fans also will have to embrace the complete rebuild, which I don't believe many will be able to stomach it.
    I don't think we need a complete rebuild, that to me means we scrap every position. That doesn't sound like a great way to entice free agents in. Our offense, imo, just needs a QB with some mobility and a good LT to be able to run Scangs offense affectively.

You want to rebuild the defense? I don't think that is in as a desperate of a position as most think either. Yes, we need a stud MLB.....Yes, we need a stud penetrating DT.....Yes, we need anther CB across Harris (or 2 if he walks). That's not a complete rebuild, that's one offseason period. Of course, this all stems off what Lock shows. If he stinks it up after the bye week then we know our top pick will be a QB

I think outside of this board, fans are still in love with Elway the player, and allow that to influence their decision on him as a GM. Watching him walk will undoubtedly cause intense backlash on the forums and fandom and will subsequently make the next GM for the rebuild a nightmare position.
    You are right. Casual fans are with Elway. But the tide is turning. Season ticket holders see it. People who spend big on merchandise see it. Broncos Country has to make noise that change is needed so Ellis can feel emboldened to make the big decision.

At this point getting a few wins does not help this team at all.
    I don't care, I want nothing to do with the Browns and Lions!!! There shouldn't be a fan in here that wants a winless season!! Broncos hang championship banners not we sucked the best banners like those loser franchises do......

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    We aren't going winless, we are not that historically bad of a team. We will win a few games but this is one I had a guarantee stamp on so what do I know.....
    History has nothing to do with this coaching staff, weak roster and inconsistent play at QB. This team is 0-8 going back to the end of last season. I see four potential wins on the schedule, but until this team proves it can win a game Im not buying any notion it can.

People must be held accountable for the collapse of the Broncos. Elway once said Manning made being a GM easy. Well he was exactly right and hes been exposed as a poor GM post-Manning.

Elway mismanaged multiple drafts, failed to get a good quarterback, handed out too many pricey contracts to mediocre veterans and topped it off with bad coaching hires.

There must be accountability for the collapse.

This team is a disaster and Elway is largely responsible for whats happened.

I don't care, I want nothing to do with the Browns and Lions!!! There shouldn't be a fan in here that wants a winless season!! Broncos hang championship banners not we sucked the best banners like those loser franchises do......
    The Broncos have become a losing franchise whether people want to admit it or not.

I don't think we need a complete rebuild, that to me means we scrap every position. That doesn't sound like a great way to entice free agents in. Our offense, imo, just needs a QB with some mobility and a good LT to be able to run Scangs offense affectively.

You want to rebuild the defense? I don't think that is in as a desperate of a position as most think either. Yes, we need a stud MLB.....Yes, we need a stud penetrating DT.....Yes, we need anther CB across Harris (or 2 if he walks). That's not a complete rebuild, that's one offseason period. Of course, this all stems off what Lock shows. If he stinks it up after the bye week then we know our top pick will be a QB
    By next off-season, all those pieces will be gone regardless. Wolfe, Gotsis, Simmons, Parks all have contracts expiring this coming off-season. CHJ will be gone, as well as Sanders. Shelby Harris will be gone as well. Then think about trading Callahan if he can't get on the field by this season, if not cutting him. This defense, by 2020 will not look the same as it is now. So even if the defense is decent, the chances of retaining all those players are slim. Von Miller is the lone player you would have to shed in order to make cap space. Then, on offense the same 2016 players will need to be paid. McGovern and Janovich. Sanders will not come back here either.

To me it sounds like a complete rebuild is going to happen regardless of what Elway wants or not.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    The Broncos have become a losing franchise whether people want to admit it or not.
    We're a bad, bad, irrelevant franchise right now. Even worse than the Jets because at least the Jets benefit from New York.

History has nothing to do with this coaching staff, weak roster and inconsistent play at QB. This team is 0-8 going back to the end of last season. I see four potential wins on the schedule, but until this team proves it can win a game Im not buying any notion it can.

People must be held accountable for the collapse of the Broncos. Elway once said Manning made being a GM easy. Well he was exactly right and hes been exposed as a poor GM post-Manning.

Elway mismanaged multiple drafts, failed to get a good quarterback, handed out too many pricey contracts to mediocre veterans and topped it off with bad coaching hires.

This team is a disaster and Elway is largely responsible for whats happened.
    Well have to wait until the end of the season until he steps down unless Bowlen Wallace somehow wins her suit against Joe Eliss!

Then all of the FO will be out!
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 09-29-2019 at 08:01 PM.

History has nothing to do with this coaching staff, weak roster and inconsistent play at QB. This team is 0-8 going back to the end of last season. I see four potential wins on the schedule, but until this team proves it can win a game I’m not buying any notion it can.

People must be held accountable for the collapse of the Broncos. Elway once said Manning made being a GM easy. Well he was exactly right and he’s been exposed as a poor GM post-Manning.

This team is a disaster and Elway is largely responsible for what’s happened.
    I agree, people need to be held accountable but I will not root for a losing season. I know it is going to happen this year but for some to want a winless season I think is despicable

To me a rebuild is we have more holes than slots we have filled. I look at our team and see the following:

Offense:
    1-2 Tackles
    1-2 Interior O line.
    QB
    WR (not banking on Sanders playing that well for that much longer. Love sutton but not sure Hamilton is legit #2 or that Sutton is legit #1 YET)

Defense:
    CB x1
    MLB x1
    DE x2
    DT x2

Too many holes. Over half our team needs to be replaced.

We just gave up records to the other teams offensive players, in altitude, at our house. We gave up over 220 yards rushing.... There is nothing right on the D right now.
    Going on record saying I love our off season coaching hires.

I'm sorry, but I want change more than a few meaningless wins. If we can't beat the best teams in the league, then I'm not interested in beating the weak ones. At this point we need to see change, and that only comes from having a historically bad season. Even still, it may not matter what any of us want. We are most certainly headed towards a win less season without even a tank plan in place.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

The Browns went in 2016 and 2017 1-31. Today, with Baker Mayfield, they posted 40 points on one of the best teams in the league. They finally figured it out, and now they are a team no one wants to play. You have to take the bad to get into a position to grow. Going 7-9 at this point would be a massive victory this season, but ultimately meaningless if nothing changes at the FO and we miss out on a franchise QB. I'm not rooting to lose at all. I'm rooting that we either win out, or find ways to win in the future.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

By next off-season, all those pieces will be gone regardless. Wolfe, Gotsis, Simmons, Parks all have contracts expiring this coming off-season. CHJ will be gone, as well as Sanders. Shelby Harris will be gone as well. Then think about trading Callahan if he can't get on the field by this season, if not cutting him. This defense, by 2020 will not look the same as it is now. So even if the defense is decent, the chances of retaining all those players are slim. Von Miller is the lone player you would have to shed in order to make cap space. Then, on offense the same 2016 players will need to be paid. McGovern and Janovich. Sanders will not come back here either.

To me it sounds like a complete rebuild is going to happen regardless of what Elway wants or not.
    Simmons will be coming back, I read somewhere that they will be working on an extension for him. I think Gotsis will be coming back too, just a hunch though. The defense will look a lot different for sure and if all we have to do is replace a G and a FB I think the offense is in good shape.

Simmons will be coming back, I read somewhere that they will be working on an extension for him. I think Gotsis will be coming back too, just a hunch though. The defense will look a lot different for sure and if all we have to do is replace a G and a FB I think the offense is in good shape.
    I'll believe Simmons signing when it happens. Gotsis and every other free agent from our 2016 class has no reason to be here if there is a market for them elsewhere. Until we find a franchise QB the offense will not be finalized. Our run game is solid, but our offensive line needs a consistent OT on both ends. I'm not convinced Juwuan James is that guy yet, and we know Bolles is likely gone. Leary is gone too, we'll need to draft his replacement as well. Our TE position is far from finalized, and our WR corps is limited. We'll need to draft a speed receiver early to make a difference. So no, not set at all.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Yeah. There really isn't a way to spin saving Elway anymore, not after 3 losing seasons. At this point Ellis, Elway, Fangio all must go. Von will need to be traded. The fans also will have to embrace the complete rebuild, which I don't believe many will be able to stomach it.
    Well Ellis isn't going anywhere for years. It's going to take that long to get the ownership situation settled. But If Ellis has any actual mettle at all, he'll fire Elway. Here is the resume:

Free agent signings since the Super Bowl:
    WR Marlon Brown Baltimore Ravens
    DE Jared Crick Houston Texans
    QB Austin Davis Cleveland Browns
    RB Justin Forsett Baltimore Ravens
    LS Thomas Gafford Chicago Bears
    TE Garrett Graham Houston Texans
    LS Casey Kreiter Dallas Cowboys
    NT Henry Melton Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    OT Russell Okung Seattle Seahawks
    FB Toben Opurum New Orleans Saints
    TE John Phillips San Diego Chargers
    S Brandian Ross San Diego Chargers
    OT Donald Stephenson Kansas City Chiefs
    G Billy Turner Miami Dolphins
    DE Billy Winn Indianapolis Colts
    LB Dekoda Watson New England Patriots

RB Jamaal Charles Kansas City Chiefs
    G J. J. Dielman Cincinnati Bengals
    LB Kasim Edebali New Orleans Saints
    OT Cyrus Kouandjio Buffalo Bills
    CB Chris Lewis-Harris Cincinnati Bengals
    LB Joseph Jones Seattle Seahawks
    NT Zach Kerr Indianapolis Colts
    G Ronald Leary Dallas Cowboys
    LB Danny Mason Chicago Bears
    NT Domata Peko Cincinnati Bengals
    QB Brock Osweiler Houston Texans
    DE Bobby Richardson Kansas City Chiefs
    RB Stevan Ridley Atlanta Falcons
    DT Ahtyba Rubin Seattle Seahawks
    WR Hunter Sharp Philadelphia Eagles
    OT Menelik Watson Oakland Raiders

CB Tramaine Brock Minnesota Vikings
    WR Corey Brown Buffalo Bills
    C Gino Gradkowski Carolina Panthers
    QB Kevin Hogan Cleveland Browns
    WR Andre Holmes Buffalo Bills
    CB Adam Jones Cincinnati Bengals
    QB Case Keenum Minnesota Vikings
    P Marquette King Oakland Raiders
    DT Clinton McDonald Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    CB Craig Mager Los Angeles Chargers
    CB C. J. Smith Cleveland Browns
    CB Jamar Taylor Cleveland Browns
    S Shamarko Thomas Buffalo Bills
    WR DeAndrew White Houston Texans

CB De'Vante Bausby Philadelphia Eagles
    CB Bryce Callahan Chicago Bears
    WR Steven Dunbar Jr. San Francisco 49ers
    OT Chaz Green New Orleans Saints
    CB Devontae Harris Cincinnati Bengals
    CB Kareem Jackson Houston Texans
    OT Ja'Wuan James Miami Dolphins
    LB Corey Nelson Atlanta Falcons
    RB Theo Riddick Detroit Lions
    RB David Williams Jacksonville Jaguars
    WR Nick Williams Los Angeles Rams

There are no standouts here and a lot of failures. Further, if you exclude this year (because it hasn't concluded yet), I count 2 players from the entire group still on this roster - Ron Leary who has been chronically injured and hasn't played that well this year, and Dekoda Watson who was cut by Elway and then traded a 5th round pick for him to bring him back here. Looking at this year I imagine we will see much the same. Already Bryce Callahan, Theo Riddick and Ja'Waun James have had issues seeing the field due to injury. Bausby and Nelson look like weak links out there. Kareem Jackson was doing okay but missed today. Complete failure the past 4 years in free agency.

Looking at the draft:

1 26 Paxton Lynch QB Memphis
    2 63 Adam Gotsis DT Georgia Tech
    3 98 * Justin Simmons S Boston College
    4 136 * Devontae Booker RB Utah
    5 144 Connor McGovern G Missouri
    6 176 Andy Janovich FB Nebraska
    219 * Will Parks S Arizona
    7 228 Riley Dixon P Syracuse

1 20 Garett Bolles OT Utah
    2 51 DeMarcus Walker DE Florida State
    3 82 Carlos Henderson WR Louisiana Tech
    101 Brendan Langley CB Lamar
    5 145 Jake Butt TE Michigan
    172 Isaiah McKenzie WR Georgia
    6 203 De'Angelo Henderson RB Coastal Carolina
    7 253 Chad Kelly QB Ole Miss

2018 (a.k.a. The Kubiak Draft)
    1 5 Bradley Chubb LB NC State
    2 40 Courtland Sutton WR SMU
    3 71 Royce Freeman RB Oregon
    99 * Isaac Yiadom CB Boston College
    4 106 Josey Jewell LB Iowa
    113 DaeSean Hamilton WR Penn State
    5 156 Troy Fumagalli TE Wisconsin
    6 183 Sam Jones G Arizona State
    217 Keishawn Bierria LB Washington
    7 226 David Williams RB Arkansas

1 20 Noah Fant TE Iowa
    2 41 Dalton Risner OT Kansas State
    42 Drew Lock QB Missouri
    3 71 Dre'mont Jones DT Ohio State
    5 156 Justin Hollins LB Oregon
    6 187 Juwann Winfree WR Colorado

When you consider the miss on 1st rounders here other than Chubb, when you consider that the best draft was 2018 with Kubes helping, and the worst draft in 2017 for these years was just a piece of junk in a dirty corner, this is awful. Even looking at this current year's draft class, while Risner looks like a baller, the rest is a meh. Anyone that could seriously argue they would rather have Noah Fant and Drew Lock than Devin Bush hasn't been watching our defense lose games for us this year. How'd that work out?

The reality is with seasons of 9-7, 6-10, 5-11 and now 0-4, with the above personnel moves and record which have served to deplete this team of talent, along with 4 different head coaches, there is no defensible position other than to show Mr. Elway the door (thanks for the memories). If they want to be true to the legacy of Pat Bowlen, they need to fire him.

I used to think the worst thing to ever happen to the Broncos was McDaniels. Now I realize that the worst thing to ever happen to the Broncos was...dare I say it?....John Elway (the GM, ironically John Elway the player was one of the best things in Broncos history which is why this is painful). This one's on John!
    Last edited by Humberg; 09-29-2019 at 08:14 PM.
    To permit irresponsible authority is to sell disaster. (Heinlein)...like Broncos season tickets!