Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Rebuild Time

Some of us have been calling for a complete re-build for 3 straight off-seasons, the writing has been on the wall, of course it is re-build time. The talent on this team has slowly dwindled since 2015 due to John Elways constant bad drafts over his tenure and his inability to hold onto the few good players he picked. I give credit to Elway for the championship year, and for bringing in Manning, that was an elite move. However, that masked so many of the areas that John Elway has been bad in, and it's all catching up to him now without the elite quarterback to hide it.

From top to bottom this roster is in pretty bad shape from a talent perspective and cap management perspective. We have a lot of bad contracts on the books right now, and we don't have many young cornerstone players to build around. The only positive moving forward is that a lot of veteran players earning way to much money come off-contract at years end, making this the perfect time to fire John Elway, and move in a different direction.

John Elway has put together back to back solid drafts, but I just feel if we are going to commit to a re-build, something we should have done 3 years ago, then I want someone else looking to put that together. John Elway will forever be delusional thinking we are a free agent or two away from competing, even though the roster is riddled with holes. For all those who argued black and blue we were a talented roster a year ago, and it was ALL coaching, I like that you guys seem to have retired that incorrect argument.

Crtl - alt - delete

Wonder what we could get for von. Honestly. If we could get at least 1 1st which I’m SURE we can. I’d say trade him.

I disagree. This is a post I made in another thread but I'm going to cut-and-paste since it applies perfectly here:

I'd like to see if you can answer this question. Has there ever been a team in NFL history that gutted their team in order to accumulate draft picks and then ended up winning a Super Bowl or becoming a consistent winner as a result of that strategy? If so, what team was it and when did it happen? I don't ever recall a team doing this successfully. We aren't the Dolphins and we aren't the Browns. We're the Denver Broncos, one of the most successful and consistent franchises in NFL history and we have no business EVER intentionally losing or trading our best players so that we can get draft picks. Draft picks, as we all know, can often turn out to be total busts. Keep our best players, build around them, give our coaching staff time to grow and get their systems established, and try to be the best we can be every year. That's what the Patriots do, that's what the Steelers do, that's what the Packers do, I could go on and on. The Ravens are consistent winners and they don't do that. Great franchises don't "tank" or gut their team. We're a great franchise.

This is how I feel. This isn't the NBA where people do that regularly. We're literally 30 or so seconds from being 2-2. I promise you that we wouldn't be having this conversation if we were 2-2. We'd be talking about how we are close to getting over the hump and how things are starting to come together. We'd be optimistic and hopeful. I've never, ever understood giving up your best players for draft picks. Draft pics are a roll of the dice. Does anyone honestly think if we trade Von for a first round pick that the pick will be as great of a player as he is? What are the chances of that? it's totally different if a guy is at the end of his career or isn't productive. Then trading them is a thing we should consider. I say keep our best players, build around them, and prepare Lock to get his opportunity to take over this team.

I know most of you don't agree with me and that's fine but I still think history backs up my opinion very nicely. For those of you who think we should gut this team, please tell me a team that has done that successfully and went on to be a consistent winner.
    Proud resident of Broncos Country!!!

I think a lot of fans believe we are in a state of rebuild. The problem is, the GM keeps shoving the “win now” philosophy down our throats. Until the FO finally admits this team needs a rebuild, we will constantly see aged FAs turnstile their way through our roster.

Win now implies you are a couple/few pieces away. Since you believe there are only a few pieces to fill, coaches and GMs prefer vet players to fill those spots, thus you start a carousel of FA QBs and other FA acquisitions. Couple that with several years of bad draft classes and you have a team with mediocre FA acquisitions and poor young depth.

Rebuild implies you have many holes to fill. - QB likely one of them. Rebuild requires trading vet players to accrue draft capital - likely to draft a QB.

Until a FO admits they have to rebuild, they will trot out a mediocre vet FA QB because it gives them the “best chance to win”.

This franchise is in a crucial position. I personally think they are a rebuild team and must make it a focus to identify their franchise QB and commit to him. This is a prime season to do this. Trading vets for picks will give us more draft capital in both draft position and amount of picks.

This is ia QB heavy draft, especially at the top. We have to see Lock and see if he can potentially be the guy or if he needs to stay in a backup role. Still, with the QB draft class as it is, it would be a really good idea to draft a high 1st round QB.

The time of the FA QB with the unknown rookie behind him needs to be over. It is is time admit we are in a state of rebuild and find a young franchise QB. I just hope the FO can both admit it and pull it off. Oh, and by FO, I mean the entire FO, not just Elway.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman33 View Post
    I disagree. This is a post I made in another thread but I'm going to cut-and-paste since it applies perfectly here:

I'd like to see if you can answer this question. Has there ever been a team in NFL history that gutted their team in order to accumulate draft picks and then ended up winning a Super Bowl or becoming a consistent winner as a result of that strategy? If so, what team was it and when did it happen? I don't ever recall a team doing this successfully. We aren't the Dolphins and we aren't the Browns. We're the Denver Broncos, one of the most successful and consistent franchises in NFL history and we have no business EVER intentionally losing or trading our best players so that we can get draft picks. Draft picks, as we all know, can often turn out to be total busts. Keep our best players, build around them, give our coaching staff time to grow and get their systems established, and try to be the best we can be every year. That's what the Patriots do, that's what the Steelers do, that's what the Packers do, I could go on and on. The Ravens are consistent winners and they don't do that. Great franchises don't "tank" or gut their team. We're a great franchise.

This is how I feel. This isn't the NBA where people do that regularly. We're literally 30 or so seconds from being 2-2. I promise you that we wouldn't be having this conversation if we were 2-2. We'd be talking about how we are close to getting over the hump and how things are starting to come together. We'd be optimistic and hopeful. I've never, ever understood giving up your best players for draft picks. Draft pics are a roll of the dice. Does anyone honestly think if we trade Von for a first round pick that the pick will be as great of a player as he is? What are the chances of that? it's totally different if a guy is at the end of his career or isn't productive. Then trading them is a thing we should consider. I say keep our best players, build around them, and prepare Lock to get his opportunity to take over this team.

I know most of you don't agree with me and that's fine but I still think history backs up my opinion very nicely. For those of you who think we should gut this team, please tell me a team that has done that successfully and went on to be a consistent winner.
    Those franchises have had Brady since 2000, Roethlisberger since 2004, and Favre/Rodgers since 92. It's easier to build up a franchise with HOF QB's for decades. Siemien, Lynch, Osweiler, Keenum, Kelly, Flacco, and Lock are always going to require much greater talent around them. And Denver doesn't have unlimited funds to gather all of that talent required. Rebuilding (while painful) might be the safest way to build over time. Currently it seems they are implementing the 'wish' strategy. Wishing everyone has career years or drinks from the fountain of youth. Somebody at the top HAS to implement a clear and present plan. If it's rebuilding, fine, if it's kill the cap to buy a 1 year wonder, fine. But this half rebuild is going to have Denver mired in 5 to 8 wins a season for too long IMHO. Eventually, they will have to start from the bottom and build a winner the old fashioned way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco51 View Post
    Not with this current FO.
    This
    10 char

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel View Post
    Crtl - alt - delete
    Epic LOL 😂

It's time for Ellis to fly. Let Britany Bowlen own the team. Let go of some of our SB-50 left overs for picks, and start Drew Lock, when he is back.
    REBUILD!!! And I'll say it... alter the logo/colors a little. Bring back some of the former.
    Former Colorado resident, stuck in Texas. Broncos fan since 1987

Quote Originally Posted by RocketArm006 View Post
    I think a lot of fans believe we are in a state of rebuild. The problem is, the GM keeps shoving the “win now” philosophy down our throats. Until the FO finally admits this team needs a rebuild, we will constantly see aged FAs turnstile their way through our roster.

Win now implies you are a couple/few pieces away. Since you believe there are only a few pieces to fill, coaches and GMs prefer vet players to fill those spots, thus you start a carousel of FA QBs and other FA acquisitions. Couple that with several years of bad draft classes and you have a team with mediocre FA acquisitions and poor young depth.

Rebuild implies you have many holes to fill. - QB likely one of them. Rebuild requires trading vet players to accrue draft capital - likely to draft a QB.

Until a FO admits they have to rebuild, they will trot out a mediocre vet FA QB because it gives them the “best chance to win”.

This franchise is in a crucial position. I personally think they are a rebuild team and must make it a focus to identify their franchise QB and commit to him. This is a prime season to do this. Trading vets for picks will give us more draft capital in both draft position and amount of picks.

This is ia QB heavy draft, especially at the top. We have to see Lock and see if he can potentially be the guy or if he needs to stay in a backup role. Still, with the QB draft class as it is, it would be a really good idea to draft a high 1st round QB.

The time of the FA QB with the unknown rookie behind him needs to be over. It is is time admit we are in a state of rebuild and find a young franchise QB. I just hope the FO can both admit it and pull it off. Oh, and by FO, I mean the entire FO, not just Elway.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman33 View Post

Cowboys traded away their best player (Herschel Walker) and started a dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    Cowboys traded away their best player (Herschel Walker) and started a dynasty
    Ok, you got me. So if we can get a team to give us 13 picks for Von Miller then I say go for it. However, we both know that won't happen. That was rated by ESPN as the second most lopsided trade in NFL history and a trade like that will never occur again. Outside of this AWFUL trade, no team in NFL history has built a consistent winner by gutting their team.
    Proud resident of Broncos Country!!!

I believe in order to start to rebuild we need a good foundation in any one aspect of the game. I don’t see any on this team at this time.

I believe the logic of to get back to winning we have to gut this team of every great player for a handful of draft picks is ridiculous

Teams with great defenses have great pass rushers, either two on the edge or on the edge and interior

Say we trade Von , do you know how hard it is to get a pass rusher that can impact a game like him... they ain’t everywhere

You can probably replace a CHJ with a immediate impact player if you use a high draft pick

Players like Wolfe and gotsis can be replaced with younger or more talented players

The fail is thinking we gonna get a bunch of #1 picks and just be good again

If Lock is the one, then we don’t need a complete rebuild getting rid of all the talent and starting from scratch

We got receivers, we got RBs, a couple more guys like Risner and we have a solid offense

Build the o line in the draft and we might have a offense again if Lock pans out

Every one of us thought that our defense was gonna be our strength and that Shelby Harris was gonna be a force crushing that pocket for Chubb and von to get a ton of sacks, he has been a complete no show no impact, doesn’t have a tackle for loss at nor Qb hit or sack

Get that interior improved and we got a defense

There is no need to gut this team
    Last edited by arapaho; 10-03-2019 at 07:29 AM.

Rebuilding doesn’t mean you have to trade all of your players for picks and “blow up” the team. Yes, key trades can be made, but it’s not about “blowing up” the team. It’s about making key trades to accrue draft capital.