Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Rebuild Time

Quote Originally Posted by RocketArm006 View Post
    Rebuilding doesn’t mean you have to trade all of your players for picks and “blow up” the team. Yes, key trades can be made, but it’s not about “blowing up” the team. It’s about making key trades to accrue draft capital.
    Right. A lot of it is shedding players with large cap space and accruing picks in the process. It follows the belief that you have less overall talent across the board but still subsequently spending too much cap space. It also follows the belief that you will be picking high in the draft, and making solid picks at that. The biggest cornerstone to rebuilding though is finding a franchise QB, which we do not have. Jury is out on Lock, but the way his time here has gone I wouldn't count on him being ready.

Figures for Post June 1st Trade

Name- Cap number- Dead Cap- Saving

Von Miller $25,125,000, $7,625,000, $17,500,000
    Emmanuel Sanders $12,937,500, $2,687,500, $10,250,000
    Chris Harris, Jr. $11,916,668, $866,668, $11,050,000
    Derek Wolfe $10,925,000, $2,375,000,$8,550,000
    Ronald Leary $9,218,750, $875,000, $8,343,750

Total in $55.5m in cap savings.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/denver-broncos/

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    Right. A lot of it is shedding players with large cap space and accruing picks in the process. It follows the belief that you have less overall talent across the board but still subsequently spending too much cap space. It also follows the belief that you will be picking high in the draft, and making solid picks at that. The biggest cornerstone to rebuilding though is finding a franchise QB, which we do not have. Jury is out on Lock, but the way his time here has gone I wouldn't count on him being ready.
    Spot on, IMO. Identifying a franchise QB and committing to him needs to happen. Personally, I wouldn’t mind a high 1st round QB in this draft.

Lock is key (lol) to this process. This whole hiding a rookie QB behind a mediocre vet FA QB strategy needs to end. Get Lock out there as soon as you can. Considering the fact that his evaluation could be skewed due to the Oline, he still needs to be seen so a proper decision can be made for the upcoming draft.
    If he comes out and looks like a star and puts together a few wins, great. Maybe those accrued picks can be used to focus on Oline, mlb, etc. However, if he just looks too raw and developmental, I think it should become a priority to draft a QB high.

They have to commit to a young, franchise QB. Maybe that’s what “rebuild” means in Denver. Finally giving up the bridge QB approach and building around a young QB.

Rebuilding doesn’t mean you have to trade all of your players for picks and “blow up” the team. Yes, key trades can be made, but it’s not about “blowing up” the team. It’s about making key trades to accrue draft capital.
    but that's what we seeing right, rom the rebuild crowd

get rid of von, get rid of CHJ, get rid of everyone

Quote Originally Posted by arapaho View Post

I don't necessarily want to get rid of them, but I don't see them being motivated to play at a high level on a team that is not competitive for a few seasons while they rebuild.

Well that’s not what I’m saying. I certainly don’t think we should get rid of everyone. That said, everyone should be considered. A couple good trades would be helpful in the upcoming draft, which is looking pretty important atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Murph2432 View Post
    Figures for Post June 1st Trade

Name- Cap number- Dead Cap- Saving

Von Miller $25,125,000, $7,625,000, $17,500,000
    Emmanuel Sanders $12,937,500, $2,687,500, $10,250,000
    Chris Harris, Jr. $11,916,668, $866,668, $11,050,000
    Derek Wolfe $10,925,000, $2,375,000,$8,550,000
    Ronald Leary $9,218,750, $875,000, $8,343,750

Total in $55.5m in cap savings.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/denver-broncos/
    von has a 2020 option
    sanders is on his last year
    CHJ is on his last year
    leary last year on contract is 2020
    wolfe is on his last year

so you have two tradable players next year...von and leary, nobody is going to trade for leary, and why trade von...what draft pick could we get...a second or 3rd?
    you gonna replace von miller with a 3rd round pick is not going to happen more then likely

why would anybody trade for CHJ, sanders or wolfe when they know they can pick them up after the season without giving up a pick, why would a team trade a high pick for CHJ or sanders...knowing they could simply walk in march

anything we get would not justify the loss in talent

von has a 2020 option
    sanders is on his last year
    CHJ is on his last year
    leary last year on contract is 2020
    wolfe is on his last year

so you have two tradable players next year...von and leary, nobody is going to trade for leary, and why trade von...what draft pick could we get...a second or 3rd?
    you gonna replace von miller with a 3rd round pick is not going to happen more then likely

why would anybody trade for CHJ, sanders or wolfe when they know they can pick them up after the season without giving up a pick, why would a team trade a high pick for CHJ or sanders...knowing they could simply walk in march

anything we get would not justify the loss in talent
    Teams who are in contention, but need a key piece to get over the hump will trade for a guy. Also the talent in this team has gotten us to 3 losing seasons in a row. IMO, it’s about stockpiling draft picks so you have more trade capital when it comes to the up coming draft.

Teams who are in contention, but need a key piece to get over the hump will trade for a guy. Also the talent in this team has gotten us to 3 losing seasons in a row. IMO, it’s about stockpiling draft picks so you have more trade capital when it comes to the up coming draft.
    We got Fumagalli (a 5th Round Pick), for one of the Top Cornerbacks in the league (Aqib Talib). THAT is the perfect example of throwing away talent for Draft Picks.

Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    We got Fumagalli (a 5th Round Pick), for one of the Top Cornerbacks in the league (Aqib Talib). THAT is the perfect example of throwing away talent for Draft Picks.
    Talib was 32 at the time and owed a ton of money. Just about every team would have made that trade if it was possible

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco51 View Post
    Talib was 32 at the time and owed a ton of money. Just about every team would have made that trade if it was possible
    no we didn't...talibs contract years left was 2018 and 2019 11mill and 8 mill neither year guaranteed

they might trade for a guy...but they ain't handing over high picks for a player that can simply walk away as soon as FA starts...this isn't madden

also the talent hasn't gotten us to three losing seasons, coaching has on top of the lack of a starting franchise qb

last year coaching mistakes cost us at least 3 games itself
    Last edited by arapaho; 10-03-2019 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    That's a perfect example of why I'm against this "trade our best players" strategy. The draft pick rarely ends up being as good as the guy you traded away. I understand not overpaying a player, I get that. I get that if you trade a specific player who makes alot, you might be able to easily replace him in the draft. I'm not against that. I'm against trading our best players who likely can't be replaced. Guys like Von Miller, Emmanuel Sanders, and CHJ should be kept in Denver. They produce and our young players can learn from them.
    Proud resident of Broncos Country!!!

We can all agree (I think) the team lacks enough talent to be competitive, with obvious deficits at QB, interior d-line, OT, and ILB, plus a lack of depth at many positions. Turning players unlikely to re-sign or at the end of their peak years into draft picks makes sense if you can get a decent return (CHJ, Sanders, Wolfe). But tossing out your best defensive player for an iffy draft pick just makes you less talented. Sure, Von hasn't had a great start to the season, but it's not like he suddenly turned into a bust. We are weak in the middle defensively, and that makes it easy for teams to neutralize edge rush.

I wish it were as simple as high draft pick = franchise QB, but if teams like the Browns, Raiders, and Miami have proven anything, it's that even years of high draft picks are no guarantee of future success. I do think we need to play Lock and see what we have over the second half of the season. Trading pieces we're unlikely to retain or need past this year makes sense. But a wholesale dumping of the talent we do have in favor of hit or miss draft picks is just creating more holes to fill.

they might trade for a guy...but they handing over high picks for a player that can simply walk away as soon as FA starts...this isn't madden

also the talent hasn't gotten us to three losing seasons, coaching has on top of the lack of a starting franchise qb

last year coaching mistakes cost us at least 3 games itself
    Right. Lack of a starting QB. That’s the entire point. It’s time to move on from the bridge QB philosophy and commit to a young franchise QB. I’m just advocating a rebuild strategy to move on from the win now mentality. I’m done with the mediocre vet QB and the illusion that this team is only a couple pieces away. This team needs to commit to identifying and building around a young QB.