Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Joe Burrow

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    Just started watching some footage of a few players, and one of the games I watched was Burrows against Alabama. First thing which jumps off the screen to me, that offensive line is a quality unit, Burrows had so much time to throw, and those tackles have way more awareness then our rock for brains left tackle. The second thing, and it's hard to judge this without having anything other than broadcast angles to go off, Burrows holds the ball for way too long, and when it isn't there he prefers to run. The third thing that I noticed, Burrows is a play-maker, and for a quarterback, he is a "tough guy", he is not scared of contact. I am excited to watch some more of him.
    You are right he does hold the ball some, but so far doesn't seem to take bad sacks. He is definitely not a statue in the pocket passer. He seems sneaky quick also. His ball placement is really good too. I think the Bengals are crazy to not take him, unless they make some off-season moves for a better QB than they have. Or they win 4 more football games.

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    what steps are those? He hasn't taken an NFL snap yet either...
    I think he meant steps from the locker room to the restroom

I like Burrow but I have doubts he'll be available whenever the Bronco's pick.

Quote Originally Posted by swingarm View Post
    Agreed , he will be a Bengal .....if they pick #1

Quote Originally Posted by swingarm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by orange crush75 View Post
    Agreed , he will be a Bengal .....if they pick #1
    Yeah, makes me really sad.
    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Quote Originally Posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    Yeah, makes me really sad.
    You know what makes me really sad.....the fact we are actually even in the discussion.

I believe in Lock. He's our guy, in my books.

But wow, the latest mocks are pretty much unanimous....Joe Burrow goes #1.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I believe in Lock. He's our guy, in my books.

But wow, the latest mocks are pretty much unanimous....Joe Burrow goes #1.
    Lol after one start he is the man? Deem savior? I think allen started off hot too with td passes on his first drive vs browns. Lock should start all this year and next year I agree. He looked good in the 1st quarter I was happy for the kids. The last 3 quarters not so much. It's about consistency, not a lot of tape out there for def coordinators to really plan an attack. Happy he got his first win though.
    We could have had Lamar Jackson *LJ for M.V.P*

Quote Originally Posted by Ear2dastreets View Post
    Lol after one start he is the man? Deem savior? I think allen started off hot too with td passes on his first drive vs browns. Lock should start all this year and next year I agree. He looked good in the 1st quarter I was happy for the kids. The last 3 quarters not so much. It's about consistency, not a lot of tape out there for def coordinators to really plan an attack. Happy he got his first win though.
    I did say, "he's our guy, in my books", which means I am taking that step, not necessarily everyone else here.

But in a more calm world, you draft your guy, you groom him, you let him start, and you give him time. And you expect a lot of not so good stuff early on, even beyond his first season. I am taking that stance with Lock. I like his arm, mobility, and the type of guy he is. I am not interested in anyone else, not until such time as it does not seem to be working. IMO, he's got a big step on that already, and even with errors here and there, will learn and grow.

I get the feeling that some folks have little faith in any new QB. I was not big on every single QB we drafted/signed after Manning, but this guy feels like the right guy. Hey, he may not be, but I am far from seeing it that way, after one game, and with such little practice time since his injury.

Allen is what he is....a backup. Backups do well at times. He did, but not for long. And if a backup has issues, you do not put all your energy into developing them to be the #1 gun.

So, call me a dreamer (not sayin you did), but I am feeling pretty good right about now.....and yes, I expect some bumps along the way.

If Locks mental game can match his physical abilities, then I believe we have a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I did say, "he's our guy, in my books", which means I am taking that step, not necessarily everyone else here.

But in a more calm world, you draft your guy, you groom him, you let him start, and you give him time. And you expect a lot of not so good stuff early on, even beyond his first season. I am taking that stance with Lock. I like his arm, mobility, and the type of guy he is. I am not interested in anyone else, not until such time as it does not seem to be working. IMO, he's got a big step on that already, and even with errors here and there, will learn and grow.

I get the feeling that some folks have little faith in any new QB. I was not big on every single QB we drafted/signed after Manning, but this guy feels like the right guy. Hey, he may not be, but I am far from seeing it that way, after one game, and with such little practice time since his injury.

Allen is what he is....a backup. Backups do well at times. He did, but not for long. And if a backup has issues, you do not put all your energy into developing them to be the #1 gun.

So, call me a dreamer (not sayin you did), but I am feeling pretty good right about now.....and yes, I expect some bumps along the way.
    We good. Everyone has their opinion. It's the purpose of this board.
    We could have had Lamar Jackson *LJ for M.V.P*

Joe Burrow's Remarkable Rise Has Been Beyond Even His Wildest Dreams

Once overlooked and dismissed, LSU quarterback and Heisman Trophy frontrunner Joe Burrow has shockingly shaped the football landscape as he leads the No. 1 team toward the College Football Playoff.

ROSS DELLENGER
    NOV 26, 2019

When he was a boy, he imagined a different storybook fairy tale.

Joe Burrow dreamed of suiting up for the college football team he had rooted for all his life, where his father and two older brothers had played. He grew up in The Plains, Ohio, became a star quarterback in high school and led his team to a state championship game appearance. In his dreams he would go on to lift the once-proud program that he revered—Nebraska—back to prominence. Maybe, when his imagination got carried away, even to a national championship.

But Burrow’s dream was not meant to be. The Cornhuskers wouldn’t even give him a look. “They were questioning his arm strength and whatever,” says Joe’s brother Dan, a Huskers safety in the early 2000s. “All Joe ever wanted to do was play for Nebraska. It really, really hurt me.”

Burrow went to Ohio State instead, where he sat on the bench for three seasons. When he decided to transfer as a redshirt junior, Nebraska, mired in a dismal stretch, could have landed him again. The Cornhuskers passed. When asked about Burrow at the time, Nebraska coach Scott Frost said, “You think he’s better than what we got?”

And so, the fairy tale would forever remain unrealized. Instead, reality would exceed Burrow’s greatest fantasy.

On a warm November Saturday in Tuscaloosa, Ala., LSU starting quarterback Joe Burrow sat on his nose tackle’s burly right shoulder. His arms stretched toward the heavens as he stared into a sea of cameras and stuck out his tongue. Just moments after the Tigers’ 46–41 win over Alabama, here was the new face of the game: the cartoon-loving, tongue-wagging quarterback who, after being unwanted in Lincoln then unused in Columbus, was now a legend in Baton Rouge.

“It’s been the greatest story in college football,” says Kirk Herbstreit, a longtime ESPN analyst and former Ohio State quarterback who has known Burrow since his teenage years. Consider: The Nebraska legacy snubbed by the Cornhuskers has led LSU to a 11–0 start, the No. 1 ranking and an almost certain berth in the College Football Playoff. The preseason 200-to-1 shot for the Heisman (on Las Vegas sports book betting boards long enough to include him) is now the favorite to become the second Tiger to hoist the trophy, the first since halfback Billy Cannon 60 years ago. The senior who went unlisted on many draft boards last summer has piloted a revolutionary, record-breaking offense so adroitly that he is on the short list to be the top quarterback selected next spring—maybe even the top overall player taken. One veteran NFL scout says Burrow is the most improved player from one year to the next that he’s ever seen.

“For Joe, [the talent has] been there,” says junior running back Clyde Edwards-Helaire. “It just wasn’t displayed a lot because of the offense we were running.”

Says an LSU football staff member, “We were asking him to play Uno when he’s a chess master.” The new offense plays to Burrow’s strength: his mind. His coaches say his football IQ is off the charts.

It was on full display in the final seconds of LSU’s Week 2 win at then No. 9 Texas, when Burrow identified a jailbreak blitz, stepped up into a collapsing pocket and, off balance with a defender in his face, whistled a pass to receiver Justin Jefferson for a 61-yard touchdown on third-and-17. Within hours of LSU’s 45–38 victory, a framed photograph of the play was hung inside the halls of the Tigers’ football operations center.

Burrow’s acumen can be traced back to parents, both of whom are educators. His mother, Robin, is an elementary school principal and Jimmy is a longtime college and high school teacher who played safety under Tom Osborne in Lincoln. The baby of the family—Joey, his family calls him—is a much younger half-brother to Jamie, 40, and Dan, 38. Around the time that Jamie started at middle linebacker for a 2001 Nebraska team that lost in the national championship game, Joey began playing youth football, transitioning from the family forte, defense, to quarterback because the Bulldogs didn’t have any other capable passers.

But just because he played offense did not mean he played soft. “He had no choice,” Jimmy says. “We weren’t going to let him not play physical.”

That mentality persists. Orgeron calls Burrow a linebacker playing quarterback. The coach jokes that he may institute a new pregame ritual to fire up his quarterback: having players bang against him in the locker room.

The Tigers point to the aftermath of LSU’s seven-overtime, five-hour, 74–72 marathon loss at Texas A&M in November ’18 in which Burrow attempted 38 passes and ran 29 times. One minute, he lay on the visiting locker room floor. The next, he was on a table with an IV in his arm and trainers feeding him cookies and applesauce. And then he saw his mom and dad, ushered inside by team personnel for one of the scariest sights any parent could see—their son a literal example of a human body giving out after a football game. The issue was serious enough that it delayed the team’s scheduled departure from Kyle Field, trainers tending to Joe before finally helping him to the bus.

“To see somebody put that kind of effort, desire and passion into a game,” longtime head LSU trainer Jack Marucci says, “it’s probably one of the first times I’ve seen anyone get into that kind of state of fatigue.”

Burrow embraces the grueling side of the game. “I enjoy getting hit sometimes,” Burrow said earlier this season. “It makes me feel like a real football player instead of a quarterback. People can look down on quarterbacks if they’re not taking hits.”

Along the way Burrow has been fueled by the doubters who have dogged him since high school. He admits to keeping a log of the most egregious ones, as well as other slights. “Mental notes,” he says. “I still remember quarterbacks that schools took ahead of me in high school.”

Burrow’s opinions aren’t a talking point when scouts filter through the LSU football facility. According to Kevin Faulk, the former Tigers running back who is now the program’s director of player development, as many as 30 scouts visit each week. Before the Alabama game, seven scouts and a general manager were in one room analyzing Burrow’s film.

Conversations with NFL personnel about Burrow often involve Tom Brady, a teammate of Faulk’s in New England for 12 seasons. Burrow reminds Faulk of Brady in a variety of ways: poise, competitiveness and, most of all, vindictive attitude.

“You don’t think Tom doesn’t remember that he barely got drafted?” Faulk asks. “Joe remembers a whole lot of stuff.”

Burrow can seem focused squarely on football and his own pursuits. He lives off-campus, alone, and admits that there are parts of campus he’s never even seen. Having graduated from Ohio State with a degree in consumer and family finance, Burrow has a light masters-level classload that is online only.

Each Monday at the football facility, he is involved in a film-based exam of the next opponent, a test in which he must identify protection calls he’ll have to make. That means his Sundays are filled with film study. On Mondays and Tuesdays of game week, he meets with Joe Brady and offensive coordinator Steve Ensminger to pitch them his ideas on how to attack the next opponent. He pitches them ideas.

The two coaches trust their quarterback with presnap play calls; he’ll often change receiver routes based on defensive formations. “We might see it better than they do in the box or on the sideline,” Burrow says. “If I see something and want to check a play, I go do it.”

“He’s basically like a co-offensive coordinator,” Herbstreit says. “That’s the NFL model, when you have a quarterback able to invest and communicate at that level. Joe is the cutting edge of that mold. When I watch LSU, it’s not just Joe Brady’s offense—it’s Joe Brady and Joe Burrow’s offense.”

“That toughness and competitiveness gene he has is a very good indicator of how he’s going to do at the next level,” says Daniel Jeremiah, a former NFL scout for the Ravens, the Browns and the Eagles, who’s now an analyst for NFL Network. “You start listing all of his good qualities and you realize how much you like him. You ask, ‘What’s wrong with him?’ Well, he doesn’t have a huge arm. Who cares?”

Matt Porter is in a state of disbelief too. Back in June, Porter, an LSU fan living in Fort Lauderdale, put $50 on Burrow to win the Heisman Trophy at 200-to-1 for a potential payout of $10,000. When Burrow became a serious contender, in late October, Porter’s gambling outlet offered him $3,865.38 to cash out. He passed.

And now? Porter is already making plans to take his girlfriend to the Bahamas.

The long shot is now a veritable shoo-in. And that’s no fairy tale.

Full article:
    https://www.si.com/college/2019/11/2...lsu-tigers-nfl
    Adopted Poster
    AZ Snake Fan

This Burrow stuff looks great, but I do not see him in our plans. Maybe a 0.1 % likelihood, and that would mean a hefty trade of draft capital, assuming a team ahead of us would even risk losing him. Heck, we could trade our whole draft for him, and it would not be enough, per our current standings and taking into account the draft value chart. Probably 3 consecutive firsts and more.

Yeah....Drew maybe is not the next super star QB, but he looks pretty good so far. And only one team can draft Burrow.

Sad, but there is 0 chance we can get him. Can you imagine what it would take to go from 9 or 10 to #1? Burrow would come to an organization that wouldn't have a first (or probably 2nd) round picks for years.

Great article. As a longtime LSU fan this is the most fun I've had in a football season since our Broncos won SB50. I hope Joe gets the Heisman...it would be exactly 60 years since the last (and only) LSU Heisman winner QB Billy Cannon. That said, I agree that there's no way he becomes a Bronco and the thought of him likely becoming a Bengal is thoroughly depressing...though it could be worse...he could become a raider or 49er and I'd have to root against him every week
    "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
    PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!