Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    He did seem a tad slow to me as far as speed but he read plays well so he was able to play much faster. Iím not sure if everything clicked for him this game and this will be the norm for him but he definitely earned the right to stay out there over Jewell for the next week or two.

Alexander had a great game, certainly should be getting a lot more playing time, if not starting now.

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    I doubt it, we need 2 ILBs and I think the pair makes for a nice combo. Most good defensive units utilize 2 good LBs
    Jewell is not a good LB.

Quote Originally Posted by BeelzeBob View Post
    Jewell is not a good LB.
    I disagree, but what do I know.....

Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    He did seem a tad slow to me as far as speed but he read plays well so he was able to play much faster. Iím not sure if everything clicked for him this game and this will be the norm for him but he definitely earned the right to stay out there over Jewell for the next week or two.
    IDK man, that goal line stop he had looked good and showed good speed there

Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Johnson was a very good prospect coming out of Tennessee. He might have projected as a 2nd round pick. He ran into legal issues and took a while to be exonerated. The guy survived doing MMA before getting a chance with the Broncos last season. I remember the people saying he had zero chance to make the team. He played hard on Special Teams and worked hard. I cannot recall exactly what held him back from being projected as a 1st round talent - running style with a long stride was reported as a weakness for closing speed IIRC. Anyway, I loved the effort he put on the field today. This roster needs guys like him - guys who leave everything on the field.
    IIRC Al Wilson also came from Tennessee. Maybe the FO should start shopping there for LB's.

Jewell is not a good LB.
    Agree. JJ has a smallish frame for an inside linebacker and has trouble getting off blocks. His speed, is average.

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    IDK man, that goal line stop he had looked good and showed good speed there
    He does seem to have good speed though his 40 yard time at 4.73 wouldn't seem to indicate it. Maybe he's lost some weight or done something to get a few extra hundredths. Maybe it's having better instincts and being in the right position. Whatever it is, his play was night and day from Jewel.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Well it was his first real game action in like 4 years or something crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel View Post
    Agree. JJ has a smallish frame for an inside linebacker and has trouble getting off blocks. His speed, is average.
    He has similar size and speed as CJ Mosley

Johnson looked great. Had 3-4 big time impact plays that directly affected the outcome of the game. Intercepted Rivers in the endzone. Made a TD saving tackle on Ekeler in the flat. Nearly had another interception. I think he'll only improve as he plays. Seems to have really good instincts in coverage.

ILB was a big need for us and it's nice to see that someone may have come up and filled the spot.

Josey Jewell is the guy you keep around on his rookie contract to be your special team ace, then when free agency rolls around after that 4th year he goes out looking for more playing time and an opportunity to play linebacker full-time. He has been lucky coming into one of the weaker linebacker groups in the NFL, but with how Johnson just played, I would say for at least this week, or until Johnson shows otherwise, Jewell is now a special teamer and a backup to Johnson. Unless they play Jewell alongside Johnson and bench Davis, but I don't think they will do that.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    Alexander had a great game, certainly should be getting a lot more playing time, if not starting now.
    Yes he did, same goes for Purcell, I was beating the drums for him a little earlier in the year when he was inactive. I will bet they are both playing this week.
    My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Jewell is not a good LB.
    I have to agree with this. He hasn't made any impact plays this season. Seems like he always makes contact with the ball carrier when they're 3 yards down field already. This may mean he's lacking the awareness needed.
    Go Hard or Go Home

Quote Originally Posted by BR0NCOFANATIC View Post
    I have to agree with this. He hasn't made any impact plays this season. Seems like he always makes contact with the ball carrier when they're 3 yards down field already. This may mean he's lacking the awareness needed.
    Or because the ball carrier breaks through our soft interior DL quite easily....

It is true, Jewell isn't really 'starter' material in the NFL - but his 3 yards downfield tackles aren't always his fault.

These comments always remind me of the negativity DJ Williams got when he switched to MLB. "Look at all those tackle numbers" people would say. But then it was always, "Yeah all those tackles are five yards down field" like it was DJ's fault for letting them first gain five yards...