Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    I have gone looking (cannot find the stat) - Yards after 1st contact by a LB. I've seen multiple plays where Jewel hits a guy, DOESNT tackle him then adjusts in motion and brings him down 2-3 yards PAST where he made initial contact. These types of comments truly pain me because by all accounts this guy (Jewel) is as stand-up as they make 'em. Let me put this another way....I can tackle a TON of guys but if I let them get 4-5 yards on every play I tackle them on does it really matter? 2-3 plays run against me and its a 1st down all day, all game long. These types of stats we are seeing now "Next Gen" and "PFF" etc. they all exist because of skewed stats and head scratchers at the end of the season from guys who look great on paper with traditional stats but when you actually watch their game tape - have you yelling at them.
    You can't name one single LB that doesn't let runners or WRs by them on occasion. NO LB makes 100% of their tackles. If he ran a 4.6 instead of a 4.7 in the 40 you wouldn't even be complaining about him. Honestly, LBs are the 2nd line of defense so they aren't initiating contact until 3-5 yards downfield anyway?!?!?!

Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    You can't name one single LB that doesn't let runners or WRs by them on occasion. NO LB makes 100% of their tackles. If he ran a 4.6 instead of a 4.7 in the 40 you wouldn't even be complaining about him. Honestly, LBs are the 2nd line of defense so they aren't initiating contact until 3-5 yards downfield anyway?!?!?!
    The 40 time isnít the issue, heís a step slow when diagnosing plays, the slightest nod in one direction by the RB gets him to commit to that gap and leaves another gap wide open. Iím not expecting Jewell to be a good cover LB but I did expect him to be a heady player that reads plays well and fights through traffic to make stops. But he hasnít read plays very well and he hasnít been good at getting off blocks IMO

I think Jewell is ok as depth but he isn't the starter you want to have as an impact player. Johnson in one game showed more than we've seen from Jewell in all of last season up and until now. It's only one game and could be an outlier but it portends well for the team and for Johnson if he plays as intelligently and with his intensity.

Johnson is still probably rusty and just scratching the surface of his upside. he screams next great low round r undrafted LBer. he would have been a first or second round pick with out legal issues. i think we may have gotten lucky here boys.

oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    Johnson is still probably rusty and just scratching the surface of his upside. he screams next great low round r undrafted LBer. he would have been a first or second round pick with out legal issues. i think we may have gotten lucky here boys.
    Sometimes You Need Luck !!

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    I think Jewell is ok as depth but he isn't the starter you want to have as an impact player. Johnson in one game showed more than we've seen from Jewell in all of last season up and until now. It's only one game and could be an outlier but it portends well for the team and for Johnson if he plays as intelligently and with his intensity.
    I agree. I was disappointed when we drafted Jewell as I thought we reached a lot on him, even though it was a fourth round pick. I thought he would make a solid depth player, but those special team calibar guys, slow first step, limited sideline to sideline range, stiff, etc. these guys are easily found when the draft ends in free agency, I thought it was a wasted pick. And I don't want to get to high on Johnson after one game, but as you mention, he showed more in one game than Jewell has in a full season.

Is it possible Jewell becomes a Safety? Awfully close to John Lynch in measurables...wears the 47, and Klis said Maybe he plays at LB tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by conannilsen View Post
    Is it possible Jewell becomes a Safety? Awfully close to John Lynch in measurables...wears the 47, and Klis said Maybe he plays at LB tomorrow.
    And Jewell might even be faster....

@milehighreport apparently did a poll and 98% of voters approve his extention ( 1198 votes).
    http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...amp69/asdf.jpg
    And yes it is a scheme problem.
    Adopted player Lindsey

Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    @milehighreport apparently did a poll and 98% of voters approve his extention ( 1198 votes).
    Jewell got extended???? Sweet!!! Jk

AJ has an opportunity to make himself a lot of money if he can duplicate his performance from last week. I like Jewell, I think he is very instinctive and pairs well with Johnson. I think Davis is the odd man out.....

Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

Jewell got extended???? Sweet!!! Jk

AJ has an opportunity to make himself a lot of money if he can duplicate his performance from last week. I like Jewell, I think he is very instinctive and pairs well with Johnson. I think Davis is the odd man out.....
    Even if Johnson proves to be a long-term solution, theyíll still be looking to replace Davis and/or Jewell for the other ILB spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    And Jewell might even be faster....
    Probably pretty close there too.

Quote Originally Posted by conannilsen View Post
    Jewell looks like he is wearing led boots at middle linebacker, no chance in hell he makes a positional switch to safety, none.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    The 40 time isnít the issue, heís a step slow when diagnosing plays, the slightest nod in one direction by the RB gets him to commit to that gap and leaves another gap wide open. Iím not expecting Jewell to be a good cover LB but I did expect him to be a heady player that reads plays well and fights through traffic to make stops. But he hasnít read plays very well and he hasnít been good at getting off blocks IMO
    He also wasn't playing with this suddenly improved pass rush and a 340lb NT clogging up the middle so he could fly around and make plays.

Jewell is an average player who lacks athleticism that you see around the league at the same position. There are certain things that Jewell cannot do.
    Red 98

The early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese