Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Phillip Lindsay's Next Contract

Just curious here. Since Lindsay was an UFA, he probably doesn't have a rookie contract like other drafted rookies that would be 4 of 5 years defending on the round they were drafted in. Lindsay has a three year contract (2018 for $480K, 2019 for $570K and 2020 for $660K) which is peanuts for his quality. Typically don't GMs want to lock a guy up the year before their last year (or is in their last year)? Either way, assuming he continues on his pace, I certainly hope he DOESN'T give the Broncos a hometown discount, because they didn't even draft him when they drafted David Williams in the 7th round. I think he already did the Broncos a favor to play for them, and has been nothing but a model Bronco! I just can't see him playing for another team and at some point, you just have to do the right thing. Now I'm not suggesting crazy money but take care of him and his family, because you know he is the kind of kid that will buy his mom a new house and his dad a new car/truck, and she deserves it for giving him the advice to sign with the Broncos.
    BCMB Div 1 - Rollin' with Mahomies

Depends on his production the next few years. If he continues at the pace he's been on, about 1000 yards rushing consistently and adding a few hundred receiving yards as well he's looking at an extension down the road that should be between 7.5 and 8.5 million per year. If he puts himself in the conversation of top 5 backs in the league he'll be looking at 10-12 plus per year.

It'll be interesting to see how quickly he goes from being viewed as a hometown hero to a greedy and disloyal player when he decides to hold out for an extension.

I see it from fans all the time and it never ceases to disappoint me.

Quote Originally Posted by CTM View Post
    Depends on his production the next few years. If he continues at the pace he's been on, about 1000 yards rushing consistently and adding a few hundred receiving yards as well he's looking at an extension down the road that should be between 7.5 and 8.5 million per year. If he puts himself in the conversation of top 5 backs in the league he'll be looking at 10-12 plus per year.

It'll be interesting to see how quickly he goes from being viewed as a hometown hero to a greedy and disloyal player when he decides to hold out for an extension.

I see it from fans all the time and it never ceases to disappoint me.
    Yah....we love our guys until they ask for what they are worth in the market, and in a career that typically only lasts a few years.

So it may have actually been to Philip's benefit to go undrafted. He can make a lot more in year 3 or 4 while most guys are still on their rookie deals.

The way that he plays, I don't care what it takes, Elway is an idiot if he lets him go. With how poorly we have played since he has been here, he acts like he is hustling for a team that's on his way to the Super Bowl EVERY SINGLE PLAY. It's insane. I really don't know if I have ever seen someone play with the heart and enthusiasm that it seems like Phillip does. I really hope he plays his entire career with Denver, and the same with Von.

2019 Adopt-A-Bronco -- Philip Lindsay -- The Tasmanian Devil
    Let's Go Broncos, Pirates, Penguins, Penn State & Tony Stewart!
    US Navy 8/15/06-CURRENT ~~ EN1(SCW) ~~ ACB-2

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Yah....we love our guys until they ask for what they are worth in the market, and in a career that typically only lasts a few years.
    Lol sorry I couldnít help but laugh at the accuracy of this statement.

Lindsey is worth what the market says he is. I figure at the start of the 21 season assuming he stays healthy and uninjured he could get 6-8 million a year. Maybe more if a team with a running game thinks they can utilize his talents.
    http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...amp69/asdf.jpg
    And yes it is a scheme problem.
    Adopted player Lindsey

Knowing Elway he will prob tag him as many times as possible before paying him.

I'd be disappointed if the team doesn't lock Lindsey down. I bet his size has them a bit wary but you can't deny the talent for football.

When you look at certain stats like average per rush attempt ~I think this stat was shown during the last game~ ..... he's 2nd in the NFL since he came in yards per carry. at 5.1

Stats help tell his story but seeing is believing. Who is faster from snap to first contact? Maybe someone is but the quickness jumps off the screen to me. His quickness also helps to avoid big hits.

Plus all the intangibles. He's a leader on this team lol

I'd like to see the team make a proposal. He's already earning way more than he's making. maybe after this season? I dunno what is customary but then again, how often do you get that UDFA who becomes what Lindsey has.

Speed kills
    Red 98

The early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese

IF, and this is a big if...

If Elway fumbles the negations with Lindsay and he lets him slip through our fingers, <god forbid> I'll be devastated, and personally be calling for Elway's head.

This kid deserves to be paid NOW, IMO. Dude is the heart and soul of our entire O. And SHOULD continue to be, until be decides to hang them up. Anything less is an injustice to us as fans, and to let yet another great talent walk(for whatever reason) I feel should be the nail in Elway(the GM)'s coffin.

I wouldn't overpay.

He deserves to get paid - but you'll break your team if you invest a ton of money to a position that literally gets hit on every play (running, receiving, blocking). Take that, and with his smaller size - odds could be against him down the line from an injury standpoint.

Lindsey is a good dude and I hope he makes some good money, but you can always find a running back (as we found him).

If we do pay him, I hope it's not breaking the bank..
    Last edited by Peerless; 10-09-2019 at 04:45 AM.

Lindsey's accomplishments aside, we've all heard the rumors too that in the Shanny system you can get away with average backs. If Elway's model is to use that money for other positions, maybe it wont be automatic. It'd be a shame though - as a home town kid - home college etc etc
    Red 98

The early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese

I like him a lot and hope heís brought back but heís so frustrating for me to watch in the open field. For someone who has such good vision in traffic and that much speed, I donít understand how he can just miss open lanes in the open field. I felt like he couldíve scored on that 3rd down run if he went left instead of right. Idk if itís him just wanting to hit someone or what but itís frustrating because I feel like a good number of his big runs could be even bigger

Pay him. He's worth a contract of 5-8 million, if not more. Our offense revolves around him.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    Pay him. He's worth a contract of 5-8 million, if not more. Our offense revolves around him.
    Yep. Not only for his ability but he is the heart of this team.