Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Thx my friend!

As for Yankee Stadium....we liked how easy it was to get there from downtown! But yah, when I visit other cities, I want to experience the older, famous stadiums/arenas. That stadium is fabulous, but it takes time for places to get some well deserved reputation. The Yankees have such an amazing history, therefore a new building will need some catching up time. Felt the same way when I visited Montreal, and saw an NHL game at their then relatively new arena. Big, new, and great concessions, but The Montreal Canadians "Forum" was packed with history. One of the most iconic buildings in sport. So yeah, I like the history when I visit.

Hey DS....do you still think about how crazy the dimensions were at the old Yankee Stadium? Down the lines were chip shots, but straight center was something like 454 feet!!! They say Mantle hit a lot of homers that turned into long fly balls in deep center. Mind you, as a switch hitter with power, he got a lot of easy ones down the lines as well. The year that Maris broke the record with 61 HRs, Mantle hit 54.....my gut tells me Maris hit more down that right field line than Mickey did (either line).

As you can tell, I was a huge Yankee fan as a kid! I can still name most of the roster in those years....Mantle (my fav back then), Maris (though he was younger, and not a long term star there), Berra (another fav), Richardson, Skowron, Kubek, Boyer, Howard, Ford...and on and on. I literally cried when I came home from school when Bill Mazeroski hit the game winning homer to beat The Yankees in the '60 world series. They used to play afternoon games.

Such history! Tough to replicate in the new buildings....have to give it some time.
    I have been to Fenway and Wrigley, they were both amazing!

BCMB Div I - AB's Etsy Shop | BCMB FF Smackdown - Cold Feet

Quote Originally Posted by dipablo View Post
    I have been to Fenway and Wrigley, they were both amazing!
    Two of the most iconic of them all!!! So unique!!

I like most stadiums, but for a while the theme seemed to be, build a new park with generic dimensions, and no variances. That's good from an equality perspective (same for lefties/righties) I suppose, but Fenway and Wrigley are special, and will likely never be built the same way again, by anyone.

I've only been to games in Denver, Toronto and Minneapolis. Have driven by Wrigley, but I don't think we were ever there when we could get to a game. Such a crazy/inspiring sight, seemingly all enclosed in one large city block.....as in, where do they park??

My Denver story revolves around the fact that it was the only time I got a ball during a game.
    Last edited by CanDB; 10-15-2019 at 09:03 AM.

Cole is amazing! Has not lost since May 22nd!!!

This victory for Houston retains home field advantage, and increases the chances that Cole will pitch again this series....unless Houston wins the next two, before he is set to go.

Cards look like losers, and it's the first inning!!!

Didn't Washington do this to Atlanta recently??!!!

Wow....Houston's got 3 games to get one win against The Yanks, and they have Verlander and Cole licking their chops to be the one to decide, if need be.

Houston IS the best team in baseball. But I give Washington credit, because they look like a team on a mission. If it's Houston vs The Nats, I have to give Houston the nod, because a great team is hard to beat, even when you are on a sweet run.

It ain't over till it's over... but it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilSpawn View Post
    It ain't over till it's over... but it's over.
    Sorry pal! Maybe Yogi knows of what he speaks!!

On a side note, I once posted a thread about Berra's sayings. I think I narrowed it down to my top 20??? Maybe less. Anyway, it's amzing the things he came up, with and even though whacky, you knew exactly what he meant. He was one of my all time favourites. Little guy who could hit and hit far, and play the "toughest" position in baseball, in my opinion. He's got more WS rings than many teams combined!

But here's another one for you, though not from Berra.....one game at a time.
    Last edited by CanDB; 10-18-2019 at 08:29 AM.

Seems like not too long ago, but it was the 2012 season that a young, talented Stephen Strasburg was shut down during the season, to give him the best shot at having a long career, rather to push him into the playoffs. Many folks, including me, debated the move. I thought they were being a bit too cautious, and that this might be their last chance with him, to make a playoff run. One never knows.

But here they are, 7 years later, and Strasburg is still a star pitcher, and indeed, going to play in The World Series. Maybe the decision to hold him back was a good one, way back then. One never knows for sure in these situations, but it sure took guts to do what they did, given how selfish/short sighted some folks can be.

Well it's going to be one heck of a weekend. A "bullpen game" for Game 6 which can be ANYONE'S game then if we survive that, we get Gerrit Cole for Game 7. Whoopie.

Hey Can, when you go back to the Stadium, and if you want to visit the steps in the Joker movie, it's about a 10 minute walk from the Stadium. Three pieces of advice though:

1) Don't go at night.
    2) For your safety, try not to go at all.
    3) If you go during the day, make sure you travel with at least 15 armed people to protect you from the potential mugging. NAH it's not that bad.

Congrats to the Houston Astros. Well deserved.

As for my Yanks, we should be back in the same position next year but like I've been saying since we lost to Josh Beckett in 2003, we need AT LEAST one elite pitcher. I don't know why Brian Cashman refuses to sacrifice to get one, preferably two.

The below stat is crazy.

Well it's going to be one heck of a weekend. A "bullpen game" for Game 6 which can be ANYONE'S game then if we survive that, we get Gerrit Cole for Game 7. Whoopie.

Hey Can, when you go back to the Stadium, and if you want to visit the steps in the Joker movie, it's about a 10 minute walk from the Stadium. Three pieces of advice though:

1) Don't go at night.
    2) For your safety, try not to go at all.
    3) If you go during the day, make sure you travel with at least 15 armed people to protect you from the potential mugging. NAH it's not that bad.

Got ya!!!

Congrats to the Houston Astros. Well deserved.

As for my Yanks, we should be back in the same position next year but like I've been saying since we lost to Josh Beckett in 2003, we need AT LEAST one elite pitcher. I don't know why Brian Cashman refuses to sacrifice to get one, preferably two.

The below stat is crazy.

That's quite a stat pal! Then again, The Yanks are baseball, going back to Ruth and such. Legendary team, with so many storylines. Mentioned Ruth, then Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, Berra, Ford, Maris (so many back then)….what about Larsen's perfect game in The WS...then thru the decades - Jackson, Mattingly, Jeter, Rivera, ARod, etc. etc. etc.....maybe Judge.

I am insulting Yankee fans by only mentioning that group. BUT, it could take a lot of time!!!

As for last night. The Yanks did a great job to keep it close and then tie it. But that Altuve is unbelievable! He looks like a kid out there, apparently all 5'6", 160 and change!! Reminds me a bit of Berra in terms of size/power. I would have to say, pound for pound, he's the best player in a long, long time. He has got to be the strongest (p for p) when it comes to making contacting with a baseball!!
    Last edited by CanDB; 10-20-2019 at 07:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    As for last night. The Yanks did a great job to keep it close and then tie it. But that Altuve is unbelievable! He looks like a kid out there, apparently all 5'6", 160 and change!! Reminds me a bit of Berra in terms of size/power. I would have to say, pound for pound, he's the best player in a long, long time. He has got to be the strongest (p for p) when it comes to making contacting with a baseball!!
    We have an incredible second baseman, Gleyber Torres who like Altuve is Venezuelan, who will be in his third year and probably the best player on our team for years to come, aside from DJ LeMahieu. But right now, Altuve is the best in the game and I hope Torres will be in his company one day.

DJ LeMahieu's homerun and the results after it is the second most crushing thing as a Yankee fan. The first was Alfonso Soriano's homerun in the 2001 World Series that would've won the whole thing if we held on.

Now this is an interesting stat: Aaron Boone becomes the first person in MLB history to hit a series-clinching walk-off homer as a player and then lose on a series-clinching walk-off homer as a manager.

We have an incredible second baseman, Gleyber Torres who like Altuve is Venezuelan, who will be in his third year and probably the best player on our team for years to come, aside from DJ LeMahieu. But right now, Altuve is the best in the game and I hope Torres will be in his company one day.

DJ LeMahieu's homerun and the results after it is the second most crushing thing as a Yankee fan. The first was Alfonso Soriano's homerun in the 2001 World Series that would've won the whole thing if we held on.

Now this is an interesting stat: Aaron Boone becomes the first person in MLB history to hit a series-clinching walk-off homer as a player and then lose on a series-clinching walk-off homer as a manager.
    I do remember Boone's positive contribution, but I can not blame him for Altuve's blast! Though in hindsight, I think Chapman should throwing 100 MPH, instead of risking too many sliders and slower speed pitches.

Maybe one day the Yankees will learn that pitching matters.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wont Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    Maybe one day the Yankees will learn that pitching matters.
    Maybe. I'm sick of the A-Rod/Giancarlo signings.