• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CanDB
    Football Immortal
    • Mar 2008

2019 Major League Playoffs/World Series

Just catching a game here or there. Not a huge baseball fan like I once was, but still like to check in when the playoffs occur. If The Blue Jays ever ramp up again, I hope to see them in postseason play. Their last run at it was fantastic baseball, but sad to see so many from that team on others now (Josh Donaldson, Encarnacion, Osuna, Martin)….

Anyway....moving forward.

I can not understand how Clayton Kershaw is one of the best pitchrs ever, and yet have so many poor postseason experiences. Last night he gave up back to back dingers, which tied the game in the 8th, and led to their eventual loss in extra innings to Washington. Kershaw's record goes like this...During his 12 seasons in the majors, he has a 2.44 ERA. But in 158 ⅓ career postseason innings, he has a 4.33 ERA.

Sure, it's tougher in the playoffs, but his performances have been nowhere near that of his amazing career.

Houston looks like the #1 seed, given their pitching and all around quality team, but they too must win tonight or it's over, against a less solid team - Tampa. But in a 5 game series, anything can happen.

Not a Yankee fan, but they can hit the ball a mile!!!

Not to forget, St. Lou is a baseball city, and they looked the part with a huge first inning. Tough for the home team Atlanta fans to watch that disaster unfold.

In my opinion it will Houston vs The Yanks, and we already know it's Washington and St. Lou. Could be two long series ahead!
  • CanDB
    Football Immortal
    • Mar 2008

One more thing.....and I've been sour on this all season. The balls have to be jacked, and it sucks! I like home runs but they easily broke records this year. Far too many! I've seen many HRs that looked like mid outfield hits, carrying the fence. Often I have seen guys seemingly get most of the ball but not all of it....the result, homer.

Fix the ball commish!

Comment

• dipablo
      Protector of the Realm
      • Oct 2007

Baseball died to me yesterday at 315pm....how do you let 10 runs in the first inning in an ELIMINATION GAME!!!
      Out of Order - BCMB Div I 2023 Champ | TD for Sutton - BCMB FF Smackdown

Comment

• CanDB
        Football Immortal
        • Mar 2008

Originally posted by dipablo View Post
        Baseball died to me yesterday at 315pm....how do you let 10 runs in the first inning in an ELIMINATION GAME!!!
        Sorry pal.....not sure how I would feel if I was an Atlanta or Dodger fan.

Comment

• dipablo
          Protector of the Realm
          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
          Sorry pal.....not sure how I would feel if I was an Atlanta or Dodger fan.
          Go Astros

Comment

• DevilSpawn
            versus you
            • Mar 2006

I'm rooting for Tampa because I have little confidence the Yankees can beat Houston in a 7 game series. But I have more confidence in them this year than I did 2 years ago.

I can't believe the Braves and Dodgers lost in such fashion. The Braves are my second least favorite team. Not because of the team themselves, but because back in the 1980s, they used to turn my 2 hour NWA Wrestling show into 1 hour. Always hated them for that.

Comment

• Bronco51
              Football Immortal
              • Jan 2005

Rooting for a Cards/Yanks World Series.

Comment

• dipablo
                Protector of the Realm
                • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
                Rooting for a Cards/Yanks World Series.
                gross. yankees are my least favorite MLB team, with the Cards easily in the bottom 5.

not sure why but with Football its Broncos or nothing but in baseball i find i can root for a few teams.

My list:
                Braves
                Rockies
                Cubs
                Astros
                Dodgers

Braves are most favorite because as kid they were always on TBS (ruining wrestling programming ) so that's who I watched. Cubs were similar as they were on wgn but not as much as the Braves, also Rookie of the year gave me a soft spot for them haha. Rockies because they are a Denver team and for the last few years they farm the Isotopes (finally!). Astros because for work I used to go to Houston a lot and watched a lot of their games, Also Alex Bregman is from Abq and its fun seeing him do good. Dodgers used to farm the Dukes (old Isotopes) so I got watch a lot of Dodger players rehab.

Ill also root for the Orioles and the Blue Jays because screw the Yankees, I used to root for the Red Sox too for same reason but Brady ruined that and now I cant stomach rooting for any Boston team

Comment

• CanDB
                  Football Immortal
                  • Mar 2008

gross. yankees are my least favorite MLB team, with the Cards easily in the bottom 5.

not sure why but with Football its Broncos or nothing but in baseball i find i can root for a few teams.

My list:
                  Braves
                  Rockies
                  Cubs
                  Astros
                  Dodgers

Braves are most favorite because as kid they were always on TBS (ruining wrestling programming ) so that's who I watched. Cubs were similar as they were on wgn but not as much as the Braves, also Rookie of the year gave me a soft spot for them haha. Rockies because they are a Denver team and for the last few years they farm the Isotopes (finally!). Astros because for work I used to go to Houston a lot and watched a lot of their games, Also Alex Bregman is from Abq and its fun seeing him do good. Dodgers used to farm the Dukes (old Isotopes) so I got watch a lot of Dodger players rehab.

Ill also root for the Orioles and the Blue Jays because screw the Yankees, I used to root for the Red Sox too for same reason but Brady ruined that and now I cant stomach rooting for any Boston team
                  First bold - I am like that in almost every sport. I have my fav(s), but if I watch a game of any kind, I will almost always pull for one over another. Sometimes it's the underdog. Sometimes because I like some of the players. Sometimes other reasons. But it's been my style all my life, and allows me to be entertained/energized for most every competition.

Hey...glad you mentioned The Jays. I know, anyone over The Yanks. Being a canuck, The Blue Jays are, like The Raptors, pretty much Canada's team. They've been a pretty successful team, winning back to back championships, and nearly getting it done in recent years. I've probably attended a dozen Jays games over the years, as Toronto has been a good vaca/business destination. Had they made it to the World Series a few years ago, my daughter was going to get me a ticket, as she had a mini pack that season.

I know this could be boring, but I am so old, I was actually leaving Toronto from a business trip on their very first ever ball game. And in typical canuck style, there were snowflakes that day, which was played outside, before the dome was built.
                  Last edited by CanDB; 10-10-2019, 04:22 PM.

Comment

• DevilSpawn
                    versus you
                    • Mar 2006

Braves are most favorite because as kid they were always on TBS (ruining wrestling programming ) so that's who I watched.
                    What made it worse was that back in those days, the TV program wasn't within the TV. You had this ancient technology called a TV Guide which I never bothered to look at, always assuming I would get 2 hours of wrestling.

When the Yankees won in 1996, my first thought was yeeeeeah we won, immediately followed by, "THAT'S for taking Ric Flair and The Road Warriors away from me!!" Nowadays I WISH wrestling was only 1 hour.

Comment

• CanDB
                      Football Immortal
                      • Mar 2008

Houston needed that win last night. For me it was over had they lost.

Sanchez makes me laugh.....he gets away with a phantom foul tip, to stay alive, and then whines about being called out on a close pitch. Cmon man!!

Comment

• DevilSpawn
                        versus you
                        • Mar 2006

I planned on going to Game 3 but it's in the afternoon.

I hate losing extra inning games but props to the Astros.

Comment

• CanDB
                          Football Immortal
                          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by DevilSpawn View Post
                          I planned on going to Game 3 but it's in the afternoon.

I hate losing extra inning games but props to the Astros.
                          What's up with (canuck) Paxton? Was he tipping his pitches??

Hey pal, that would be great if you went to a playoff game! We loved going to a game at that new stadium!! Ironically, Paxton was pitching for Seattle in that game.

Comment

• DevilSpawn
                            versus you
                            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                            What's up with (canuck) Paxton? Was he tipping his pitches??

Hey pal, that would be great if you went to a playoff game! We loved going to a game at that new stadium!! Ironically, Paxton was pitching for Seattle in that game.
                            It's an awesome experience but I'll always miss the old one.

The Astros are too good but it looks like Paxton was tipping his pitches. Didn't matter, it was a hard fought victory.

By the way, Happy Thanksgiving!

Comment

• CanDB
                              Football Immortal
                              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by DevilSpawn View Post
                              It's an awesome experience but I'll always miss the old one.

The Astros are too good but it looks like Paxton was tipping his pitches. Didn't matter, it was a hard fought victory.

By the way, Happy Thanksgiving!
                              Thx my friend!

As for Yankee Stadium....we liked how easy it was to get there from downtown! But yah, when I visit other cities, I want to experience the older, famous stadiums/arenas. That stadium is fabulous, but it takes time for places to get some well deserved reputation. The Yankees have such an amazing history, therefore a new building will need some catching up time. Felt the same way when I visited Montreal, and saw an NHL game at their then relatively new arena. Big, new, and great concessions, but The Montreal Canadians "Forum" was packed with history. One of the most iconic buildings in sport. So yeah, I like the history when I visit.

Hey DS....do you still think about how crazy the dimensions were at the old Yankee Stadium? Down the lines were chip shots, but straight center was something like 454 feet!!! They say Mantle hit a lot of homers that turned into long fly balls in deep center. Mind you, as a switch hitter with power, he got a lot of easy ones down the lines as well. The year that Maris broke the record with 61 HRs, Mantle hit 54.....my gut tells me Maris hit more down that right field line than Mickey did (either line).

As you can tell, I was a huge Yankee fan as a kid! I can still name most of the roster in those years....Mantle (my fav back then), Maris (though he was younger, and not a long term star there), Berra (another fav), Richardson, Skowron, Kubek, Boyer, Howard, Ford...and on and on. I literally cried when I came home from school when Bill Mazeroski hit the game winning homer to beat The Yankees in the '60 world series. They used to play afternoon games.

Such history! Tough to replicate in the new buildings....have to give it some time.
                              Last edited by CanDB; 10-14-2019, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X