Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Braden Mann

Braden Mann

This guy looks like a special punter. He has been prolific in college at Texas A&M. He won the ray guy. Set the record for most punts of over 60 yards and set the record for average punt yards in college with 50.9 overall I feel with our punting issues this is a guy Elway needs to look into.

oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

What pick would be comfortable spending on him assuming he's on the board? We need a punter badly, one that can flip a field, pin an offense, and do it constantly. That kind of player is valuable.

Punters are not relatively that valuable, the best punter this season in average yards per punt is WAS punter. Houston's punter is the only top 10 punter that is on a team that has qualified for the playoffs. Tennessee's Brett Kern is probably the best punter overall, the Titans might still make the playoffs? When looking at punts inside the 20 then things change quite a bit. 1st place is Brett Kern with 34 inside the 20, 5 punters in the top 10 are on playoff teams (10th is a tie between GB and NO) ... Wadman has 27 punts inside the 20, that is good enough for 7th best. Wadman has 43.8 average, 39.2 net... he is only 28th, 5.6 yards behind 1st; 29th net avg. 5yds behind 1st.
    Don't get me wrong, the Broncos should at least bring in some competition at the punter position but I don't believe using any draft pick above the 7th round is worth it. Brett Kern was not drafted, Logan Cooke has the highest net avg, he was a 7th round pick. Bryan Anger was a 3rd round pick by JAX in 2012; he played there through 2015 and then went to TB on a contract through 2021, he was released last off-season. He is 20th this season on punts inside the 20, 3rd in net avg.
    The best solution for punting is keep from having to punt .

Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    Punters are not relatively that valuable, the best punter this season in average yards per punt is WAS punter. Houston's punter is the only top 10 punter that is on a team that has qualified for the playoffs. Tennessee's Brett Kern is probably the best punter overall, the Titans might still make the playoffs? When looking at punts inside the 20 then things change quite a bit. 1st place is Brett Kern with 34 inside the 20, 5 punters in the top 10 are on playoff teams (10th is a tie between GB and NO) ... Wadman has 27 punts inside the 20, that is good enough for 7th best. Wadman has 43.8 average, 39.2 net... he is only 28th, 5.6 yards behind 1st; 29th net avg. 5yds behind 1st.
    Don't get me wrong, the Broncos should at least bring in some competition at the punter position but I don't believe using any draft pick above the 7th round is worth it. Brett Kern was not drafted, Logan Cooke has the highest net avg, he was a 7th round pick. Bryan Anger was a 3rd round pick by JAX in 2012; he played there through 2015 and then went to TB on a contract through 2021, he was released last off-season. He is 20th this season on punts inside the 20, 3rd in net avg.
    Your take is faulty due to it placing value on punters in a singular vacuum. The idea is for a kern level punter to flip the field and then in conjunction with a fangio level defense to win the field position battle drive after drive. A 6th ot 7th on a kern level punter has loads more value than the 3rd string mlb or more likely practice squad player.
    I need more Oline, please and thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    What pick would be comfortable spending on him assuming he's on the board? We need a punter badly, one that can flip a field, pin an offense, and do it constantly. That kind of player is valuable.
    If mann was there in the 7th I would take him just to make sure he comes here. I like going a punter in 6th or 7th ideally 7th. Late rounders are generally the best punters in the nation. We should be able to get a really good one with our high 7th.

I would say. A 6 th or 7th round pick at tops... and only if here is a huge need...like we have...
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    I would say. A 6 th or 7th round pick at tops... and only if here is a huge need...like we have...
    Especially when we have the late round draft capital to use on a punter

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskajoe View Post
    Especially when we have the late round draft capital to use on a punter
    That's the other thing with how loaded we are through the 3 and 4th rounds we should be able to sink a late round pick in a special punter

I was his older sister’s “baller” for volleyball (designated cheerleader), that’s pretty cool.

That aside, he’ll be able to flip the field from the goal line, considering he did it in Texas climate. I’d be comfortable with spending a 4th-5th rounder on him considering we have 3 3s.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    If mann was there in the 7th I would take him just to make sure he comes here. I like going a punter in 6th or 7th ideally 7th. Late rounders are generally the best punters in the nation. We should be able to get a really good one with our high 7th.
    He will NOT be around in the 7th, and probably not in the 6th. He has a special leg.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoooJohnson View Post
    He will NOT be around in the 7th, and probably not in the 6th. He has a special leg.
    you can say that i am just not sure i am comfortable taking a punter above the sixth 6th. he is should be able to develop into one of the better in the league. he was prolific in college his stats show that. but you can get ekite punters undrafted or really late rounds. i wouldn't use a high round pick on that or a kicker ever.

oakland raders gm

Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    You also left out that Anger has punted 40 times and the opposition has 44 return yards total this year. That's a valuable thing. Net Avg is also the best way to look at punters because that's how much yardage you're getting out of each punt.

It's also good to look at how many fair catches the punter has caused, because that's an indication of hang time, which is the most valuable thing a punter can give you. A punter that hammers it 50 yards every punt, but they're line drives, is less valuable than a punter who averages 45 yards per punt but gives you 4.5-5 seconds of hang time, because he's likely to end up with a better net average.

Denver needs to invest heavily in Special Teams this offseason. They need a new Coordinator (Joe DeCamillis would be my choice) they need to get a much better punter, even if it means signing a free agent for some decent money. And they need to get better in coverage players, especially gunners. Rounds 5-7 of the draft should be heavily weighted towards players that can step in on day 1 and provide valuable special teams reps on all 4 units.

Punter has long been an issue on this team. If this kid is available in the 5th I got no problem taking him if he will be a top 5 punter in the league for the next decade. A punter in Denver should be averaging close to 50 yards per punt, no excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by KWHIT97 View Post
    Punter has long been an issue on this team. If this kid is available in the 5th I got no problem taking him if he will be a top 5 punter in the league for the next decade. A punter in Denver should be averaging close to 50 yards per punt, no excuses.
    The one issue with this is we don't have a 5th

oakland raders gm

I'd take him with our 6th and if we somehow end up with a 5th I'd take him with it.
    My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter