• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alaskajoe
    Bench Warmer
    • Jan 2009

Okudah?

Now that we are off the winless side of things, we are at this point in the #5 to 10 range for the draft. This puts us out of contention for the tackle Thomas or either of the QBs. Do we reach for another tackle? Or do we grab the next 1st round Ohio St. corner? Or Bud Deprit? I tried shoe horning a MLB at this spot but i couldnt find one.
    I need more Oline, please and thank you
  • Kyousukeneko
    Football Immortal
    • May 2010

Originally posted by Alaskajoe View Post
    Now that we are off the winless side of things, we are at this point in the #5 to 10 range for the draft. This puts us out of contention for the tackle Thomas or either of the QBs. Do we reach for another tackle? Or do we grab the next 1st round Ohio St. corner? Or Bud Deprit? I tried shoe horning a MLB at this spot but i couldnt find one.
    Grant Delpit
    Jake Fromm
    Joe Burrow

hopefully Wirfs Declears cause he is worth a high pick. i may also look the price to trade up to be honest for like a OT like thomas or trade down. it really depends on how the draft plays out
    sigpic
    oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

Comment

• Joshecalpoly
      Starter
      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
      Grant Delpit
      Jake Fromm
      Joe Burrow

hopefully Wirfs Declears cause he is worth a high pick. i may also look the price to trade up to be honest for like a OT like thomas or trade down. it really depends on how the draft plays out
      Yeah crossing my fingers Wirfs graduates early because he has said he wants his degree first. That would be the most ideal player to me.
      2016 Draft: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...aft-Watch-list

Comment

• the0rangecrush
        Captain
        • Apr 2009

Grant Delpit
        Jake Fromm
        Joe Burrow

Only problem is Wirfs has been primarily a RT. It would be a big gamble to take a guy that high who has never really played LT(he did finish a game there after an injury this year). This year we should go big on OL.

Cut Leary
        Sign Schreff
        Draft a LT
        Trade back up for Tyler Biadasz
        What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
        I don't know and I don't care

Comment

• mozzerpete
          All-Pro
          • May 2008

If OL is out, then a DL defender who
          can create a push up the middle.

Derrick Brown
          Raekwon Davis
          or ?

Comment

• Kyousukeneko
            Football Immortal
            • May 2010

Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
            Only problem is Wirfs has been primarily a RT. It would be a big gamble to take a guy that high who has never really played LT(he did finish a game there after an injury this year). This year we should go big on OL.

Cut Leary
            Sign Schreff
            Draft a LT
            he has all the talent to be a LT in the nfl and great traits
            sigpic
            oakland raders gm
            latavis murray trade bait

Comment

• the0rangecrush
              Captain
              • Apr 2009

he has all the talent to be a LT in the nfl and great traits
              Oh I'm not denying he has the tools, he definitely does. However, I think it was Ryan Harris who said the difference between playing LT and RT is like wiping your butt with the opposite hand. It's just a bit of a gamble to do when picking that high, especially when James was paid top dollar at RT. We do have Munchak though, so it can be done.
              What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
              I don't know and I don't care

Comment

• HDbroncos02
                Football Immortal
                • Sep 2012

In all the mocks I've done on TDN, Okudah is consistently available where we are projected to pick.

He’s getting a ton of hype in the draft community and from former Ohio State defensive staff that worked with him.

If the top OTs are gone by the time we pick, if Okudah is somehow available, he’d be perfect.

Comment

• fraguela09
                  Byner of Buckner?
                  • Oct 2006

Cecil posted article saying early buzz is DEN looking at this kid... replace CHJr.

“ Top-Five Twist

If the draft were to be today, the Broncos would have a top-five pick. That may change as we have more than a few weeks left of the regular season, but with a 3-8 record, a lot of fans are turning their attention to the 2020 NFL Draft. This is a great draft class at three different positions – offensive tackle, wide receiver and quarterback.

The good news for the Broncos is that they have a big need at each one of those positions. The talent of this class lines up with some of the Broncos biggest needs. However, that is not the way they may go with their premium first-round pick.

There is some early buzz that the Broncos would go with a twist in the first round and select Ohio State cornerback Jeffrey Okudah.

Taking a cornerback is a direction that many fans will not want them to go. Most Broncos fans I talk to in person or on social media want nothing more than an upgrade at the left tackle position, while others want them to find a true franchise quarterback.

Going with a tall, physical corner like Okudah would mean the team is likely moving on from veteran corner Chris Harris Jr. I like the idea of trying to keep Harris around with a contract that makes him a “Bronco for Life,” but that is more wishful thinking than it is reality. The draft is after free agency, so we should have clarity on which direction the Broncos go in the first round at some point in mid-March.”

I’m all for adding a big, dynamic CB... I’m just opposed to building a team from the outside in. Too many holes in the trenches to go grab a luxury item in round 1. No CB, no WR... go OL or DL!
                  Last edited by fraguela09; 11-25-2019, 11:30 PM.

Comment

• fraguela09
                    Byner of Buckner?
                    • Oct 2006

Jay LaPrete/Associated Press
                    Matt Miller's Scouting Notebook: Jeff Okudah Is Top CB Talent Since Jalen Ramsey

MATT MILLER
                    OCTOBER 11, 2019
                    What if I told you there was a Jalen Ramsey-type cornerback prospect roaming the halls at Ohio State? That's what NFL scouts believe the Buckeyes have in junior Jeff Okudah.

"Pat Pete. Ramsey. Whoever you want to compare him to, go ahead," said one area scout tasked with scouting Ohio State. "He's better than any dude that's come out of there."

That's high praise for a school that rightfully claims the DBU title.

Since 2014, Ohio State has had at least one defensive back drafted every year. Most years they've had a first-rounder: 2014 (Bradley Roby), 2016 (Eli Apple), 2017 (Marshon Lattimore, Malik Hooker, Gareon Conley) and 2018 (Denzel Ward). But Okudah, a "mature, humble, hardworking" 6'1", 200-pound junior who flashed in his breakout 2018 season, has a chance to be the best of them all.

What makes Okudah so special? It's partially his athleticism and size, both of which are ideal for an outside cornerback who plays in man coverage. But one Ohio State staffer said he's "the most mature and self-motivated cornerback out of the recent ones" they've had. Mature and self-motivated are two words not often used to describe cornerbacks, who can be high-maintenance and attention-seeking.

"We're talking about a kid who enrolled early and was a scholar athlete as a true freshman," said the area scout. "At most schools he starts right away, but [Ohio State] had Denzel Ward and Kendall Sheffield in there. He's the most naturally gifted cornerback I've seen since Ramsey—but he's not going to worry you with his mouth."

Justin Casterline/Getty Images
                    The Ramsey comparisons are common among scouts. Both had roles as true freshmen at schools where defensive backs are legendary. Ramsey saw more action in his frosh year at FSU, but Okudah's quiet leadership and toughness on the field caught eyes in his sophomore season. There aren't many college cornerbacks with his combination of size—bigger than Ward (5'11", 190 lbs)—speed, football IQ and smoothness in transitions.

Scouts have noticed; which is why there are Patrick Peterson and Ramsey comparisons.

Following a 2019 class with just one cornerback (Deandre Baker) drafted in Round 1, Okudah has a chance to be a top-three pick, besting his former teammate Ward (2018 No. 4 pick).

"I was there for Ward and Marshon. Okudah is what would happen if you combined their positive traits," said a former Ohio State assistant coach.

Comment

• Alaskajoe
                      Bench Warmer
                      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
                      Jay LaPrete/Associated Press
                      Matt Miller's Scouting Notebook: Jeff Okudah Is Top CB Talent Since Jalen Ramsey

MATT MILLER
                      OCTOBER 11, 2019
                      What if I told you there was a Jalen Ramsey-type cornerback prospect roaming the halls at Ohio State? That's what NFL scouts believe the Buckeyes have in junior Jeff Okudah.

"Pat Pete. Ramsey. Whoever you want to compare him to, go ahead," said one area scout tasked with scouting Ohio State. "He's better than any dude that's come out of there."

That's high praise for a school that rightfully claims the DBU title.

Since 2014, Ohio State has had at least one defensive back drafted every year. Most years they've had a first-rounder: 2014 (Bradley Roby), 2016 (Eli Apple), 2017 (Marshon Lattimore, Malik Hooker, Gareon Conley) and 2018 (Denzel Ward). But Okudah, a "mature, humble, hardworking" 6'1", 200-pound junior who flashed in his breakout 2018 season, has a chance to be the best of them all.

What makes Okudah so special? It's partially his athleticism and size, both of which are ideal for an outside cornerback who plays in man coverage. But one Ohio State staffer said he's "the most mature and self-motivated cornerback out of the recent ones" they've had. Mature and self-motivated are two words not often used to describe cornerbacks, who can be high-maintenance and attention-seeking.

"We're talking about a kid who enrolled early and was a scholar athlete as a true freshman," said the area scout. "At most schools he starts right away, but [Ohio State] had Denzel Ward and Kendall Sheffield in there. He's the most naturally gifted cornerback I've seen since Ramsey—but he's not going to worry you with his mouth."

Justin Casterline/Getty Images
                      The Ramsey comparisons are common among scouts. Both had roles as true freshmen at schools where defensive backs are legendary. Ramsey saw more action in his frosh year at FSU, but Okudah's quiet leadership and toughness on the field caught eyes in his sophomore season. There aren't many college cornerbacks with his combination of size—bigger than Ward (5'11", 190 lbs)—speed, football IQ and smoothness in transitions.

Scouts have noticed; which is why there are Patrick Peterson and Ramsey comparisons.

Following a 2019 class with just one cornerback (Deandre Baker) drafted in Round 1, Okudah has a chance to be a top-three pick, besting his former teammate Ward (2018 No. 4 pick).

"I was there for Ward and Marshon. Okudah is what would happen if you combined their positive traits," said a former Ohio State assistant coach.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndica...amsey.amp.html

The Harris situation not withstanding (and I think he signs with a contender for a upper level contract...Green bay?) If we are in the top 3-5 Then Thomas has to be option 1a. if he doesnt make it to us that means either trade back or we go after Brown (DL) or Wirfs if he declares. If we are at that 6-9 range the Okudah has to be in play....Lock down corner for the next decade....hard to pass up the best corner this team would have since The Champ.....(based on initial coming out draft status)

Comment

• kerkhoff1
                        Practice Squad
                        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post

Cut Leary
                        Sign Schreff
                        Draft a LT
                        Do believe Wirfs played LT 3 1/2 games this year while Aleric Jackson was hurt. Who in his own right is very draftable. Jackson may not have the physical upside of Wirfs, but he would be a fantastic 2nd, 3rd round value.

Comment

• Alaskajoe
                          Bench Warmer
                          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by kerkhoff1 View Post
                          Do believe Wirfs played LT 3 1/2 games this year while Aleric Jackson was hurt. Who in his own right is very draftable. Jackson may not have the physical upside of Wirfs, but he would be a fantastic 2nd, 3rd round value.
                          Prince Wanagho is a good prospect for that early 3rd. what he could turn into with Manchuk developing him.....muhahahahaha, THOMAS round 1! Wanagho in 3!!

Comment

• HDbroncos02
                            Football Immortal
                            • Sep 2012

I’m all for Andrew Thomas, but today might just change my mind towards Okudah. It’s going to be tough if they’re both available at our pick.

Comment

• Joshecalpoly
                              Starter
                              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
                              I’m all for Andrew Thomas, but today might just change my mind towards Okudah. It’s going to be tough if they’re both available at our pick.
                              If we can get ahead of the Falcons and Washington then we might be able to be in that position. I think Washington will still fall in a spot that will be hard to do that. Still if they do continue to win we can steal Thomas from them
                              2016 Draft: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...aft-Watch-list

Comment

Working...
                              X