Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

The Broncos' Playoff Chances Are Much Improved

The AFC is struggling. Outside of the division leaders, and a few of the sidekicks, the playoff race is far, far from decided!

On Thursday The Broncs can make a huge step forward in that race by knocking off a surprisingly beatable KC team. I thought KC would run away with this division, but 2 straight losses, a porous D, and a QB that might not be very mobile, make this team kind of beatable again (more so than I thought anyway), for the moment. Seems like everyone is saying it.... Indy had the blueprint, and The Broncos not only have a D, but also the RBs to pound and ground, all night long!

And a Broncos win leaves just 1 game separation in the standings!! Therefore the division is definitely in play. Having said that, this is a must game, because a loss might be too much to overcome in terms of first place.

But lets think even more realistically....Wild Card. In The AFC there are just 3 teams ahead of The Broncos - Buffalo (4 and 1), Indy (3 and 2), and Oakland (3 and 2). That's it! Now, lets not get lulled into thinking that other teams will stay in their current funk, like Pittsburgh, Cleveland, The Jags and The Chargers. With the way schedules go, some of these teams will win a number of games, in spite of what we do. And divisional games may bolster one team over another, if they are too strong a match within their respective divisions.

Regardless, The Broncos only need to put a few wins together to already be considered a wild card team. My gut tells me that Buffalo will be one of the two, so it's up to our coaching/players to find the way and the will to get it done....and Thursday is the perfect day to prove their intentions. Those back to back victories will no doubt give them the motivation, if they need any.

I am not going to point out the issues I see with this team, in this post. Others may, and that is fine. But this time I want to shine a positive light on the current situation, the importance and possibility involved with this week's game, and the improved likelihood of a playoff bid.

Go get it, Broncos!

Iíll wait until Thursday night to get my hopes up.

But if we do beat the Chiefs then maybe some of the games after we all assumed were un winnable might actually be games that could propel us into a winning record.

We always stink in Indy but they are a very beatable team. And the Browns at home after is also very winnable now.

But again before I get my hopes up too much letís make sure we arenít 2-5 Friday morning first.

We still have 4 division games left and are currently 1-1 in the division.

We control our own fate.

Posted this in other threads but want to post it again...I just want to see improvement every week and no regression. It may not show up on the final score but we need lots of improvement around here.
    All I want for Christmas is a Bronco QB controversy

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    I’ll wait until Thursday night to get my hopes up.

But if we do beat the Chiefs then maybe some of the games after we all assumed were un winnable might actually be games that could propel us into a winning record.

We always stink in Indy but they are a very beatable team. And the Browns at home after is also very winnable now.

But again before I get my hopes up too much let’s make sure we aren’t 2-5 Friday morning first.
    DB....I've been a bit down on this team so far, and like you, I need some proof. But this AFC is not exactly kicking it just yet, and who would've thought that The Raiders would be in wild card position....I know it's early. Maybe Gruden and Mayock are changing things, because they lost AB (hmmm...maybe that was the turning point!), and one of their first rounders is out for the season.

Regardless, teams look beatable again.....and yes to those who have supported them much kinder than I, with a bit of luck/timely plays, this team could be 3 and 3, maybe 4 and 2. But not going to get deep into "what ifs". lets do it the way it counts....on the scoreboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    We still have 4 division games left and are currently 1-1 in the division.

We control our own fate.

Posted this in other threads but want to post it again...I just want to see improvement every week and no regression. It may not show up on the final score but we need lots of improvement around here.
    You are right...look forward. Add value. Learn from mistakes. And if some players can't get into that approach, find ones who can.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    DB....I've been a bit down on this team so far, and like you, I need some proof. But this AFC is not exactly kicking it just yet, and who would've thought that The Raiders would be in wild card position....I know it's early. Maybe Gruden and Mayock are changing things, because they lost AB (hmmm...maybe that was the turning point!), and one of their first rounders is out for the season.

Regardless, teams look beatable again.....and yes to those who have supported them much kinder than I, with a bit of luck/timely plays, this team could be 3 and 3, maybe 4 and 2. But not going to get deep into "what ifs". lets do it the way it counts....on the scoreboard.
    I think itís important to focus not on the what if but that had a couple things gone our way like:
    - no roughing vs Chicago
    - somebody tackles Fournette or Minshew doesnít have the ball bounce right back to him on Chubbs strip.

The point is that has been the difference not blowouts where we just didnít show up or couldnít compete.
    We are close in games, even the Packer game the turnovers killed us, but we were hanging with them, no way to overcome turnovers inside the 20 vs ARod.
    All things to build on.

Quote Originally Posted by 58Miller View Post
    I think it’s important to focus not on the what if but that had a couple things gone our way like:
    - no roughing vs Chicago
    - somebody tackles Fournette or Minshew doesn’t have the ball bounce right back to him on Chubbs strip.

The point is that has been the difference not blowouts where we just didn’t show up or couldn’t compete.
    We are close in games, even the Packer game the turnovers killed us, but we were hanging with them, no way to overcome turnovers inside the 20 vs ARod.
    All things to build on.
    True. The Broncos have been competitive. That's what matters, not the, "lost on a bad call", or "a bad bounce". Those things happen pretty much every game. And you never want the team to think along those lines, sort of like whiners (not saying anyone here is). You know the deal, people who never get a break, or only see the negative side.

So to continue with that thought....I don't mind if the team uses the bad calls/bad breaks to their advantage. As in, we know we got this. And we will be the benefactors of officiating and good breaks at some point. Things tend to even out.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    The AFC is struggling. Outside of the division leaders, and a few of the sidekicks, the playoff race is far, far from decided!

On Thursday The Broncs can make a huge step forward in that race by knocking off a surprisingly beatable KC team. I thought KC would run away with this division, but 2 straight losses, a porous D, and a QB that might not be very mobile, make this team kind of beatable again (more so than I thought anyway), for the moment. Seems like everyone is saying it.... Indy had the blueprint, and The Broncos not only have a D, but also the RBs to pound and ground, all night long!

And a Broncos win leaves just 1 game separation in the standings!! Therefore the division is definitely in play. Having said that, this is a must game, because a loss might be too much to overcome in terms of first place.

But lets think even more realistically....Wild Card. In The AFC there are just 3 teams ahead of The Broncos - Buffalo (4 and 1), Indy (3 and 2), and Oakland (3 and 2). That's it! Now, lets not get lulled into thinking that other teams will stay in their current funk, like Pittsburgh, Cleveland, The Jags and The Chargers. With the way schedules go, some of these teams will win a number of games, in spite of what we do. And divisional games may bolster one team over another, if they are too strong a match within their respective divisions.

Regardless, The Broncos only need to put a few wins together to already be considered a wild card team. My gut tells me that Buffalo will be one of the two, so it's up to our coaching/players to find the way and the will to get it done....and Thursday is the perfect day to prove their intentions. Those back to back victories will no doubt give them the motivation, if they need any.

I am not going to point out the issues I see with this team, in this post. Others may, and that is fine. But this time I want to shine a positive light on the current situation, the importance and possibility involved with this week's game, and the improved likelihood of a playoff bid.

Go get it, Broncos!
    That's the kind of Sunshine we know and love from you.

Let's get another W!!!
    [

I am not saying the "P" word until we can get above 500.

If the defense keeps doing what it's doing the offense should improve over the year, it's not unthinkable for us to get on a real run here. Yes KC losing against Houston opened the door for us to really get back in the division race. We just need to walk through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post
    That's the kind of Sunshine we know and love from you.

Let's get another W!!!
    I'm trying to be a reflection of that dude "Taos"!!!

And even for those who may not feel great about this team, the facts are not exactly against The Broncos:
    - Two straight wins
    - Some close losses
    - The likelihood that the team will further "gel", given the newness of the coaching staff
    - KC lost 2 straight, and looks vulnerable
    - The Chargers are weaker than anticipated
    - The Raiders are in a wild card position (not sure which team would get in between them and Indy, but it's all prelim at this point), and I certainly don't see them as a contender this year
    - Broncos D is getting back to the level of expectation for many of us

There are other variables to consider, like health of the team, which will likely vary throughout the season. But if anyone would have told me a few weeks ago that we'd be one win out of a wild card position today, I'd have been a bit surprised. And that after Thursday, we could be one game out of the division lead (even if temporarily), I'd have been a bit shocked!

It's all good.....
    Last edited by CanDB; 10-15-2019 at 04:33 PM.

Let's be realistic here, we beat 2 terrible teams. We scored more than 17 points once(?, just off memory).

I'm excited about the defensive improvement over the past few weeks with AJ Johnson and Purcell performing well, and what seems to be more aggressive playcalling. That being said, our offense is complete garbage. The OL, even when not committing hold penalties, kills drives by the amount of pressure they're allowing on Flacco. The "pocket" is non existent and I'm impressed Flacco has even done as well as he has.

With 17 points, not going to beat KC twice, MIN, DET, IND, HOU.. probably even Oak or SD(twice). Sure, we'll win one or two of those games, but we'll still end up with 10 losses this year. Playoffs aren't happening.

I really hope I'm wrong. I might change my tune a bit if we could beat KC on Thursday but they've lost 2 in a row, the odds aren't in our favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylan View Post
    Let's be realistic here, we beat 2 terrible teams. We scored more than 17 points once(?, just off memory).

I'm excited about the defensive improvement over the past few weeks with AJ Johnson and Purcell performing well, and what seems to be more aggressive playcalling. That being said, our offense is complete garbage. The OL, even when not committing hold penalties, kills drives by the amount of pressure they're allowing on Flacco. The "pocket" is non existent and I'm impressed Flacco has even done as well as he has.

With 17 points, not going to beat KC twice, MIN, DET, IND, HOU.. probably even Oak or SD(twice). Sure, we'll win one or two of those games, but we'll still end up with 10 losses this year. Playoffs aren't happening.

I really hope I'm wrong. I might change my tune a bit if we could beat KC on Thursday but they've lost 2 in a row, the odds aren't in our favor.
    Some will say that KC is due for another win. Some of us are sayin that they may not have that swagger, losing two straight, and on the road against a team with 2 straight victories. Doubt can get in the way of confidence. Half this, half that.

This is a statement game. If we're any good, we'll hang in with the Chiefs, and maybe beat them?Being at home, if we are for real, we beat a division rival. If we lose it's the same ol' Broncos, can't win the big games.
    I will believe in this team, when I see it on the field.

This team is 2 plays and a few seconds from being 4-2. When they played @ the Chargers the Chargers weren't considered a bad team and they could turn it around this season. The Broncos not only beat the Titans, they SHUT THEM OUT!
    A lot depends on the next 3 games before the bye, the Broncos DO have a chance to turn this season around. They also play Buffalo and Houston this season, that helps the Broncos to be able to control their destiny... not to mention game twos against division teams.
    It will all have to start tomorrow night though.