Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    CHJ will be another year older next season. If he gets hurt again, then his new contract would hinder the team. I'm all for continuity if were winning. But, if were rebuilding and it looks like that's the case, then we should draft a top CB and give the money to a top FA OT.

Quote Originally Posted by jflee66 View Post
    CHJ will be another year older next season. If he gets hurt again, then his new contract would hinder the team. I'm all for continuity if were winning. But, if were rebuilding and it looks like that's the case, then we should draft a top CB and give the money to a top FA OT.
    Iíd rather save the money while paying a portion of it to Justin Simmons who still has not hit his ceiling, rather than giving it to somebody whoís already peaked and now spiraling down.

Harris isn't a number 1 corner. He's a very good corner when he's playing the opposition's 2nd and 3rd best receivers, but he's had a miserable time the last couple of years when he's been matched up against the number 1 receiver.

He's going to want #1 corner money (as he should) but Denver would be crazy to give it to him. Let someone else make that contract mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by CheyennePress View Post
    If you trust the PFF rankings, Harris has been the #3 CB in the league for several years running and top 10 in 5 of 8 years in the league but was at #12 through game 8 this year. He isn't the lockdown corner that he seemed to be in the past, either, by the eye test lately and has been getting burned.
    PFF rankings provide a data point, but certainly not the end all be all. While heís still a good player I believe his antics on the field are a negative for the defense. Throwing his hands up and ripping teammates once in a while isnít a huge deal. The problem is that he almost always blames others. In some instance it might be justified, but it can also be detrimental. Consider how many times the defense failed to close games. Itís hard to prove heís negatively affected the confidence of other players. IMO he does more harm than good.

CHJ is a top 5 corner in the league, easily. He deserves to get paid like he's one of the best at his position. If the Broncos don't pay him, someone else will. That's the business. It will be a huge loss if he goes. Look how much they've wasted on Brice Calahan.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    I donít have the stat on targets per game for all No. 1 CBS, do you? Harris Jr. played most of his career/snaps in the slot, so itís hard to compare him with Champ - whatís the snap rate outside/slot for Harris Jr. vs Champ? His catch rate is over 65% and 15.6 yards per reception when adding in the last two games (98% outside).
    Heís the 2nd least targeted CB in the NFL right now for targets per route defended. Generally when you see a lack of targets completion percentages tend to go up because QBs are only throwing when their guy is wide open which is why Champ Bailey had multiple seasons with similar numbers as to what CHJ is posting now.

Chris is 18th in receptions allowed with 28, less than 3 a game and 44th in yards allowed which is boosted by the 2 big TDs, without them heís right on par with Stephon Gilmore on the year. With the 2 TDs in there heís on par with Jalen Ramsey. Harris has allowed 1 more TD than him, 7 more yards, 9 less receptions, 2 more pass breakups. And ramsey has played 3 fewer games.

Odell Beckham is really the only WR that has had a good overall game against him. Hill had 57 yards on the one play, 27 on the other 4 catches. Diggs only had the 54 yard TD on him which was a blown coverage on the backend not because of CHJ, he was only targeted 1 other time against CHJ. Hilton had a big catch on an extended play but you canít ask any CB to cover that long. Those are the only 4 WRs to go over 50 yards.

And no Hill did not stop or slow down and wait for that ball, he probably ran about 70% until it was thrown and then Moore led him up the field and he took off, Harris gave him a free inside release which created too much separation for Harris to overcome and then he actually slowed down looking to pass him off to Simmons but Simmons came down to take the RB who was probably his assignment but was 7 yards behind the LoS after chipping Von. Harris was beat as soon as he gave him a free release to the inside, no CB can recover against Hill if they do that. Harris is one of the smartest CBs in the game, Iím willing to bet he went into the play looking to pass him off which is why he gave him that release and if Simmons stayed where he was, he wouldíve been in position to take over Hill while Harris wouldíve been able to come up and take the RB. This was actually to how Bailey got burned by Smith except Bailey didnít slow down to pass him off, he just gave him a free inside release and didnít turn and run quick enough with Smith.

Ultimately the Hill TD is why I always say that elite Safeties are more valuable than an elite CB. CBs INT/TDs allowed numbers are heavily dependent on their safeties

Quote Originally Posted by Narco View Post
    CHJ is a top 5 corner in the league, easily. He deserves to get paid like he's one of the best at his position. If the Broncos don't pay him, someone else will. That's the business. It will be a huge loss if he goes. Look how much they've wasted on Brice Calahan.
    Thatís the catch though, this is a team that is (or needs to be rebuilding), you donít pay big money to an aging player. You give it to a guy coming off his rookie deal while bargain shopping for vets with good leadership and still have some solid play left in them. Jackson is a decent enough example of this, heís been great for the most part but heís still slightly overpaid to be on a team thatís rebuilding.

Quote Originally Posted by Narco View Post
    There's no way he's currently a top 5 Corner, and at his best he was better because he was Robin, not Batman (Talib) which isn't a knock on him, just the reality of what made him great.

He'll ask for top 5 money, and someone will pay him top 5 money, but they'll be paying him for what he did in 2015/16 with the Broncos, not what he'll do in the future for the team that signs him. Hopefully Denver isn't that team, because that contract will get bad quickly.

Iíve seen enough of Chris Harris Jr. Let another team pay him to be burned by young quarterbacks like Josh Allen.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Iíve seen enough of Chris Harris Jr. Let another team pay him to be burned by young quarterbacks like Josh Allen.
    Yep, Iíve been saying it all season, signing Justin Simmons is the more logical move to make!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    Yep, Iíve been saying it all season, signing Justin Simmons is the more logical move to make!
    Iím not certain Simmons will want to sign with the Broncos. I would put the odds on him signing with another team. Elway will need to put a legitimate offer on the table, otherwise heíll be gone. Harris Jr is about to have a rude awakening when teams wonít cave to his demand for $60 million.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Heís the 2nd least targeted CB in the NFL right now for targets per route defended. Generally when you see a lack of targets completion percentages tend to go up because QBs are only throwing when their guy is wide open which is why Champ Bailey had multiple seasons with similar numbers as to what CHJ is posting now.

Chris is 18th in receptions allowed with 28, less than 3 a game and 44th in yards allowed which is boosted by the 2 big TDs, without them heís right on par with Stephon Gilmore on the year. With the 2 TDs in there heís on par with Jalen Ramsey. Harris has allowed 1 more TD than him, 7 more yards, 9 less receptions, 2 more pass breakups. And ramsey has played 3 fewer games.

Odell Beckham is really the only WR that has had a good overall game against him. Hill had 57 yards on the one play, 27 on the other 4 catches. Diggs only had the 54 yard TD on him which was a blown coverage on the backend not because of CHJ, he was only targeted 1 other time against CHJ. Hilton had a big catch on an extended play but you canít ask any CB to cover that long. Those are the only 4 WRs to go over 50 yards.

And no Hill did not stop or slow down and wait for that ball, he probably ran about 70% until it was thrown and then Moore led him up the field and he took off, Harris gave him a free inside release which created too much separation for Harris to overcome and then he actually slowed down looking to pass him off to Simmons but Simmons came down to take the RB who was probably his assignment but was 7 yards behind the LoS after chipping Von. Harris was beat as soon as he gave him a free release to the inside, no CB can recover against Hill if they do that. Harris is one of the smartest CBs in the game, Iím willing to bet he went into the play looking to pass him off which is why he gave him that release and if Simmons stayed where he was, he wouldíve been in position to take over Hill while Harris wouldíve been able to come up and take the RB. This was actually to how Bailey got burned by Smith except Bailey didnít slow down to pass him off, he just gave him a free inside release and didnít turn and run quick enough with Smith.

Ultimately the Hill TD is why I always say that elite Safeties are more valuable than an elite CB. CBs INT/TDs allowed numbers are heavily dependent on their safeties
    Chris Harris Jr was beat badly today. He bit on the move so hard and was slow to recover. Another thing I noticed about him last week and today was not getting off blocks to make tackles. Receivers easily push him back out of the play. He doesnít get targeted as often because coordinators can target guys like Yiadom. If he were targeted more often we would see him burned more like today. If he always needs help on the backend, heís really not an elite cornerback.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    Yep, I’ve been saying it all season, signing Justin Simmons is the more logical move to make!
    I was not a fan of this idea but as the season has progressed, I believe you are right and I was wrong on this. However, I'm not so sure he wants to sign here.
    My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Quote Originally Posted by FL BRONCO View Post
    I was not a fan of this idea but as the season has progressed, I believe you are right and I was wrong on this. However, I'm not so sure he wants to sign here.
    He keeps playing like this and there aren't going to be many teams lining up to sign him either.

I saw a highlight of CHJ getting beat. Did he actually get beat? Or was it "another guy who messed up his assignment?"