That's the worst O-line play I've seen in a decade, from any team.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • the0rangecrush
    Captain
    • Apr 2009

McGovern is a low end starter in the league, although he has Not been nearly the liability I thought.
    What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
    I don't know and I don't care

Comment

• 58Miller
      Football Immortal
      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
      Billy Turner allowed zero sacks and 1 QB hit in his last 7 starts in Denver (4th most snaps of 32 teams those 7 games). This season he’s been rated one of the top pass blocking guards in the league, winning 98% of his pass blocking matchups.

You’re missing the point about Wilkinson. The guy improved every year and earned his way into the roster. Struggling some at RT doesn’t mean he cannot play guard, nor does it mean he cannot improve at tackle. Wilkinson is coachable and works hard - kind of guy Munchak can develop.
      He cannot play tackle, guard is his last chance
      Should get a shot at RG.
      sigpic

Comment

• Kyousukeneko
        Football Immortal
        • May 2010

I feel like we need to make a move in this next draft to make sure we walk away with andrew Thomas he is to me the only surefire way to fix this line
        sigpic
        oakland raders gm
        latavis murray trade bait

Comment

• the0rangecrush
          Captain
          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
          I feel like we need to make a move in this next draft to make sure we walk away with andrew Thomas he is to me the only surefire way to fix this line
          Andrew Thomas or Tristan Whirfs would get my vote. Then trade back into it for Tyler Biadasz the OC from Wisconsin. Release Leary, and overpay for Schreff.

Comment

• Kyousukeneko
            Football Immortal
            • May 2010

Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
            Andrew Thomas or Tristan Whirfs would get my vote. Then trade back into it for Tyler Biadasz the OC from Wisconsin. Release Leary, and overpay for Schreff.
            i don't know i like the overpaying any one, you pay them what they are worth. we need multiple new starters it may also be expect to trade back in we should not give a top pick next year to trde back in
            sigpic
            oakland raders gm

Comment

• the0rangecrush
              Captain
              • Apr 2009

i don't know i like the overpaying any one, you pay them what they are worth. we need multiple new starters it may also be expect to trade back in we should not give a top pick next year to trde back in
              Bad teams overpay that's just how it is. We currently have 2 3rd rounders, and rumor is we might pick up a 3rd if we move Sanders, that's enough to move back into it without giving up a 1st the following year.

Comment

• Kyousukeneko
                Football Immortal
                • May 2010

Bad teams overpay that's just how it is. We currently have 2 3rd rounders, and rumor is we might pick up a 3rd if we move Sanders, that's enough to move back into it without giving up a 1st the following year.
                the best option is to build it threw the draft you can get stud gaurds and centers in the second and third. look at Erik Mccoy or Elton Jenkins this year. we need to draft alot of o-line and some speed for our LB core.
                sigpic
                oakland raders gm

Comment

• the0rangecrush
                  Captain
                  • Apr 2009

the best option is to build it threw the draft you can get stud gaurds and centers in the second and third. look at Erik Mccoy or Elton Jenkins this year. we need to draft alot of o-line and some speed for our LB core.
                  Right now the key should be protecting the young QB whether it be Lock or future draft pick. I agree, we should draft OL, take them early and often. However, you need some Veteran presence there as well.

Comment

• Kyousukeneko
                    Football Immortal
                    • May 2010

Right now the key should be protecting the young QB whether it be Lock or future draft pick. I agree, we should draft OL, take them early and often. However, you need some Veteran presence there as well.
                    jawuan james should be a good guy for a vet presense. i also disagree you need it. the great oline dallas has had was all developed through the draft it took multiple years, but it was all done through the draft.
                    sigpic
                    oakland raders gm

Comment

• the0rangecrush
                      Captain
                      • Apr 2009

jawuan james should be a good guy for a vet presense.
                      One iOL and one OT is a good way to go. Munchak should be a good selling point for OL in FA, take advantage of it. Right now you have to protect the young QB, that's what it boils down to.

Comment

• the0rangecrush
                        Captain
                        • Apr 2009

jawuan james should be a good guy for a vet presense. i also disagree you need it. the great oline dallas has had was all developed through the draft it took multiple years, but it was all done through the draft.
                        They had veterans who were eventually replaced, they also lucked into La'el Collins. Ideally, you have veterans that can eventually be replaced with talented young players. However, we probably don't have that time. The cowboys had Romo to offset some issues while young guys developed. We could be looking at 3 new OL members next year, with a young inexperienced QB.

Comment

• Fantaztic7
                          Banned User
                          • Dec 2015

Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
                          After breaking down 4 of the sacks, the line wasn’t as poor as I thought. A lot of the issues fall back on Flacco.

Sack 1 - Wilkinson could have done better however he managed to move the rusher outside. Flacco could have climbed the pocket to avoid the sack. Freeman didn’t help Wilkinson but it looked like he was there to cover the inside. Not sure why this play wasn’t designed to have Freeman release for a check down. This sack was mostly on Flacco for not stepping up.

Sack 2 - Wilkinson got the rusher to the outside. Lindsay was assigned to help and missed. Once again Flacco failed to climb the pocket. Although Wilkinson and Lindsay could have done better, Flacco failed to move. There was a clean area in front of him.

Near end of 1st quarter Hamilton ran a short route and he was wide open. Flacco saw him but didn’t make the throw. Hamilton had room for YAC. Instead Flacco scrambled right and tried to hit Fant. That was the PI call picked up by the refs. Again, Flacco needed to hit the easy throw to Hamilton for a 1st down.

Sack 3 - KC showed blitz. Lindsay picked up one defender and there was a 2nd coming through free. Flacco should have thrown the ball away. Instead the ball was stripped for scoop and score. The line ended up with a free blocker. They either didn’t communicate or Flacco didn’t adjust protection pre-snap.

Sack 4 - Delayed blitz by KC. The line and Lindsay did a solid job. Heuerman was wide open and Flacco held onto the ball. No excuse for Flacco, easy completion. The delayed blitz never gets home if Flacco makes the pass to Heuerman for the 1st down. Heuerman had room for YAC.

I’ll look at the other 5 sacks later. Although the line could have played better, a lot of the sacks were on Flacco. On those plays Wilkinson wasn’t great but a good quarterback steps up to avoid the sack.
                          Sack 5 - Line made a clean pocket and the defender on the stunt was shielded. Flacco stepped up but instead of hitting Freeman on the crossing route, he pulled the ball down and took the sack. Other option was to step around the defender.

Sack 6 - Line made a clean pocket. What happened? Flacco held the ball too long and didn’t step up in the pocket. When the pocket started to collapse all he had to do was dump the ball off to Freeman.

Not going to break down the other sacks. Although the line wasn’t perfect, at least 80% of the issues were on Flacco.

Comment

• FlaccoTruther
                            Practice Squad
                            • Sep 2019

Flacco is the cause for many of these issues. He doesn't slide protection and shows zero awareness of recognizing who the blitzer is. Qb's got to help their oline out.

Comment

• Senses Fail
                              Jedi
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by FlaccoTruther View Post
                              Flacco is the cause for many of these issues. He doesn't slide protection and shows zero awareness of recognizing who the blitzer is. Qb's got to help their oline out.
                              I’ve been standing up for Flacco, but I agree. He has terrible mobility and awareness in the pocket. Especially on 3rd downs and he gets sacked taking Denver out of FG range.

Comment

• Rich_C
                                Captain
                                • Aug 2012

Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
                                He cannot play tackle, guard is his last chance
                                Should get a shot at RG.
                                Do we remember Schofield? He SUCKED at RT....then he was moved to LT and looked quite good. Not all OT's can play the right side. SOme are best suited for the left side. I also tend to agree that Wilkinson is that guy. HE works his tail off and can be coached. With better coaching now I expect him to keep getting better. Maybe on the left or maybe even on the right. What will be interesting is if we keep Leary in at RG once James gets back. That will tell us if Leary is covering for poor RT play or the other way around.

Comment

Working...
                                X