Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    Simmons has been ballin.
    Arguably the Broncos' best player on Thursday night.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootleg View Post
    Arguably the Broncos' best player on Thursday night.
    Ya him, Purcell, AJ, and Von were all very good.

After breaking down 4 of the sacks, the line wasnít as poor as I thought. A lot of the issues fall back on Flacco.

Sack 1 - Wilkinson could have done better however he managed to move the rusher outside. Flacco could have climbed the pocket to avoid the sack. Freeman didnít help Wilkinson but it looked like he was there to cover the inside. Not sure why this play wasnít designed to have Freeman release for a check down. This sack was mostly on Flacco for not stepping up.

Sack 2 - Wilkinson got the rusher to the outside. Lindsay was assigned to help and missed. Once again Flacco failed to climb the pocket. Although Wilkinson and Lindsay could have done better, Flacco failed to move. There was a clean area in front of him.

Near end of 1st quarter Hamilton ran a short route and he was wide open. Flacco saw him but didnít make the throw. Hamilton had room for YAC. Instead Flacco scrambled right and tried to hit Fant. That was the PI call picked up by the refs. Again, Flacco needed to hit the easy throw to Hamilton for a 1st down.

Sack 3 - KC showed blitz. Lindsay picked up one defender and there was a 2nd coming through free. Flacco should have thrown the ball away. Instead the ball was stripped for scoop and score. The line ended up with a free blocker. They either didnít communicate or Flacco didnít adjust protection pre-snap.

Sack 4 - Delayed blitz by KC. The line and Lindsay did a solid job. Heuerman was wide open and Flacco held onto the ball. No excuse for Flacco, easy completion. The delayed blitz never gets home if Flacco makes the pass to Heuerman for the 1st down. Heuerman had room for YAC.

Iíll look at the other 5 sacks later. Although the line could have played better, a lot of the sacks were on Flacco. On those plays Wilkinson wasnít great but a good quarterback steps up to avoid the sack.
    Last edited by Fantaztic7; 10-19-2019 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Killer is the one who pounded the table to draft Gotsis. Gotsis was benched and replaced by Mike Purcell, UDFA. Kollar has no business deciding who the Broncos should draft.
    Not entirely accurate. He was replaced by Shelby Harris and Purcell moved in to the starting NT position.

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    Not entirely accurate. He was replaced by Shelby Harris and Purcell moved in to the starting NT position.
    Good clarification. Make no mistake, he was benched because heís been a healthy scratch since week 5.

After breaking down 4 of the sacks, the line wasnít as poor as I thought. A lot of the issues fall back on Flacco.

Sack 1 - Wilkinson could have done better however he managed to move the rusher outside. Flacco could have climbed the pocket to avoid the sack. Freeman didnít help Wilkinson but it looked like he was there to cover the inside. Not sure why this play wasnít designed to have Freeman release for a check down. This sack was mostly on Flacco for not stepping up.

Sack 2 - Wilkinson got the rusher to the outside. Lindsay was assigned to help and missed. Once again Flacco failed to climb the pocket. Although Wilkinson and Lindsay could have done better, Flacco failed to move. There was a clean area in front of him.

Near end of 1st quarter Hamilton ran a short route and he was wide open. Flacco saw him but didnít make the throw. Hamilton had room for YAC. Instead Flacco scrambled right and tried to hit Fant. That was the PI call picked up by the refs. Again, Flacco needed to hit the easy throw to Hamilton for a 1st down.

Sack 3 - KC showed blitz. Lindsay picked up one defender and there was a 2nd coming through free. Flacco should have thrown the ball away. Instead the ball was stripped for scoop and score. The line ended up with a free blocker. They either didnít communicate or Flacco didnít adjust protection pre-snap.

Sack 4 - Delayed blitz by KC. The line and Lindsay did a solid job. Heuerman was wide open and Flacco held onto the ball. No excuse for Flacco, easy completion. The delayed blitz never gets home if Flacco makes the pass to Heuerman for the 1st down. Heuerman had room for YAC.

Iíll look at the other 5 sacks later. Although the line could have played better, a lot of the sacks were on Flacco. On those plays Wilkinson wasnít great but a good quarterback steps up to avoid the sack.
    Itís really more of the same. Last year we had Keenum running into pressure, the year before Siemian was drifting back, now we got Flacco firmly entrenched where heís at. Looks like the dline is out there doing pass rushing drills sacking a dummy. His pocket awareness and his pocket mobility is utterly garbage. I get that he isnít fast but neither is Brady, he needs to manipulate the pocket and help out his linemen.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Itís really more of the same. Last year we had Keenum running into pressure, the year before Siemian was drifting back, now we got Flacco firmly entrenched where heís at. Looks like the dline is out there doing pass rushing drills sacking a dummy. His pocket awareness and his pocket mobility is utterly garbage. I get that he isnít fast but neither is Brady, he needs to manipulate the pocket and help out his linemen.
    Agree. Iím not saying the line hasnít had issues. They made mistakes on Thursday night. Itís interesting to go back and watch the plays. If Flacco would have completed some quick passes to wide open receivers the defense would have likely backed off those blitzes.

After breaking down 4 of the sacks, the line wasn’t as poor as I thought. A lot of the issues fall back on Flacco.

Sack 1 - Wilkinson could have done better however he managed to move the rusher outside. Flacco could have climbed the pocket to avoid the sack. Freeman didn’t help Wilkinson but it looked like he was there to cover the inside. Not sure why this play wasn’t designed to have Freeman release for a check down. This sack was mostly on Flacco for not stepping up.

Near end of 1st quarter Hamilton ran a short route and he was wide open. Flacco saw him but didn’t make the throw. Hamilton had room for YAC. Instead Flacco scrambled right and tried to hit Fant. That was the PI call picked up by the refs. Again, Flacco needed to hit the easy throw to Hamilton for a 1st down.

Sack 3 - KC showed blitz. Lindsay picked up one defender and there was a 2nd coming through free. Flacco should have thrown the ball away. Instead the ball was stripped for scoop and score. The line ended up with a free blocker. They either didn’t communicate or Flacco didn’t adjust protection pre-snap.

I’ll look at the other 5 sacks later. Although the line could have played better, a lot of the sacks were on Flacco. On those plays Wilkinson wasn’t great but a good quarterback steps up to avoid the sack.
    I keep telling people our line is not as bad as they think....Joe's is a statue not hard to call a defense on that. Just think KC has had one of the worst def in the league. We played the bears, titans, gb, jags and did we give up 9 sacks vs the superior defenses???? But we play k.c. and give up 9 and its because of out oline. People think about that.

K.C came in the division game and said flacco is gonna bet us and was gonna sell out every time to sack them. Not bc they thought out oline was bad but bc they dont fear flacco. Kc only had six sacks coming Into that game. One day some will see the light.

Flaccoís poor play doesnít negate the issues on the line. Bolles had 3 holding calls - 7 in two games this season (8 if officials would have called the right number in one of those games). Wilkinson is not a starting caliber RT. McGovern has issues with snaps. Leary has had too many holding calls and played poorly.

It was shocking on Thursday and we looked awful, to be honest even in our 2 wins the offense looked bad.

I do think that we have some positives on offense at the skill positions, even if ES moves on soon we have Sutton who looks very good, I like Hamilton as a slot receiver from the glimpses we have seen, Fant has only played a few games and it will take him time but he could be a weapon....... I loved the way he beat the corner Thursday and a good pass would have been a walk in TD.

Plus we have a pretty good 1-2 punch in Lindsay and Freeman.

As well as seeing what the 3 TE's look like next season when they are back from injury.

The trouble is when you have a really bad OL and a statue at QB then the offense will not move and it will get messy, so we can't really see if these young weapons can flourish or not.

Mase made a good point in that it took Munchak 3 years to get an elite Pitts OL, he was a great hire but he can't do much with the trash that we have, quite simply the talent is shocking. Bolles and Wilkinson should not be on an NFL roster, let alone starting. We need 2 investments in the OL in the off-season and I would throw Lock in week 9/10 just to get him some experience. It will be tough behind the OL but hopefully the experience helps.

Flacco’s poor play doesn’t negate the issues on the line. Bolles had 3 holding calls - 7 in two games this season (8 if officials would have called the right number in one of those games). Wilkinson is not a starting caliber RT. McGovern has issues with snaps. Leary has had too many holding calls and played poorly.
    Leary, McGovern, Wilkinson, and Bolles are about as bad a 4 lineman as you will see in this league. Flacco is trash but whatever QB we have will do nothing behind this OL, and Munchak cannot perform miracles with them.

I do want to see Lock play to get him some experience, but am torn in that I don't want to destroy his confidence because it will probably be messy when he gets behind this OL.

Quite simply we need to make the OL priority number 1 in the offseason, use our high round 1 pick on the best OL available and sign a good young talent in FA if possible.

In all reality, we have this perfect storm of awful O-line play coupled with a QB who is immobile and holds on to the ball way too long way too often.

As many have pointed out, he has had several opportunities to step up in the pocket, check down, throw the ball away, scramble for a couple yards, whatever.

Iím certainly not giving the line a free pass. All Iím saying is our aged QB isnít really a good fit either. Looking forward to seeing Lock in a couple of games.

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    Leary, McGovern, Wilkinson, and Bolles are about as bad a 4 lineman as you will see in this league. Flacco is trash but whatever QB we have will do nothing behind this OL, and Munchak cannot perform miracles with them.

I do want to see Lock play to get him some experience, but am torn in that I don't want to destroy his confidence because it will probably be messy when he gets behind this OL.

Quite simply we need to make the OL priority number 1 in the offseason, use our high round 1 pick on the best OL available and sign a good young talent in FA if possible.
    I agree with most of your thoughts. Despite Wilkinson not being ready to start at RT he has shown tremendous growth as an UDFA. Heís shown the ability to improve every season. One of the reasons the Broncos have failed to build a solid line comes from moving on too quickly from some players. They let Billy Turner go and heís stepped up to help the Packers line. Schofield wasnít good at RT but heís played RG with the Chargers - better than Leary at a fraction of the price. We have to remember this is McGovernís first year at center. He would likely be better at RG given more time at the position. Just because a guy like Wilkinson struggled at starting RT doesnít mean he canít continue developing and contribute at another position.

I agree with most of your thoughts. Despite Wilkinson not being ready to start at RT he has shown tremendous growth as an UDFA. He’s shown the ability to improve every season. One of the reasons the Broncos have failed to build a solid line comes from moving on too quickly from some players. They let Billy Turner go and he’s stepped up to help the Packers line. Schofield wasn’t good at RT but he’s played RG with the Chargers - better than Leary at a fraction of the price. We have to remember this is McGovern’s first year at center. He would likely be better at RG given more time at the position. Just because a guy like Wilkinson struggled at starting RT doesn’t mean he can’t continue developing and contribute at another position.
    I am all for giving guys a chance but Wilkinson looks far too slow with his footwork to be a RT, and I don't think Turner or Schofield have looked particularly good. I certainly wouldn't want those 2 back.

The big problem is Elway, he keeps saying we are a win now team but we don't have a win now playoff reaching roster, so he overpays average FA's to plug holes but its always a poor short-term answer. He doesn't seem to understand that we are a rebuilding team and he needs to properly commit to that.

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    I am all for giving guys a chance but Wilkinson looks far too slow with his footwork to be a RT, and I don't think Turner or Schofield have looked particularly good. I certainly wouldn't want those 2 back.

The big problem is Elway, he keeps saying we are a win now team but we don't have a win now playoff reaching roster, so he overpays average FA's to plug holes but its always a poor short-term answer. He doesn't seem to understand that we are a rebuilding team and he needs to properly commit to that.
    Billy Turner allowed zero sacks and 1 QB hit in his last 7 starts in Denver (4th most snaps of 32 teams those 7 games). This season heís been rated one of the top pass blocking guards in the league, winning 98% of his pass blocking matchups.

Youíre missing the point about Wilkinson. The guy improved every year and earned his way into the roster. Struggling some at RT doesnít mean he cannot play guard, nor does it mean he cannot improve at tackle. Wilkinson is coachable and works hard - kind of guy Munchak can develop.