Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

The Reasons Why We Are Where We Are

1) Not bringing Manning back for the final year of his contract.

2) Not re-signing Brock before he left for Houston.

3) Hiring Vance Joseph.

4) Letting Wade Phillips Walk.

5) Bringing Elway back after last season.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo0730 View Post

3) Hiring Vance Joseph.

Heck, the first sign was the whole Dumervile debacle. Elway and CO have made consistent mistakes since the inception. Kudos for the Manning era, but that was obviously lightning in a bottle.

Manning? He was the lowest rated QB in 2015. His arm was DEAD!. As for Osweiler, he bounced around the league, proving he was not a legit NFL QB. Vance, yea, that was a stupid hire. Wade Phillip's defenses are good for one or two seasons then they just break down. I agree on Elway, dude needs to be gone

Quote Originally Posted by RocketArm006 View Post
    Heck, the first sign was the whole Dumervile debacle. Elway and CO have made consistent mistakes since the inception. Kudos for the Manning era, but that was obviously lightning in a bottle.
    But this team was still an elite team even after the Dumverville debacle.

But they lost too much leadership and savvy when they more or less forced Manning to retire.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel View Post
    Manning? He was the lowest rated QB in 2015. His arm was DEAD!. As for Osweiler, he bounced around the league, proving he was not a legit NFL QB. Vance, yea, that was a stupid hire. Wade Phillip's defenses are good for one or two seasons then they just break down. I agree on Elway, dude needs to be gone
    Manning bounced back very well in the playoffs, and could have been efficient (at least competent) in 2016 had they actually built the offense around him instead of forcing him in the Kubiak system.

He certainly was a better option than Siemian, even with a declining arm.

I narrow it down to questionable coaching selections, not finding a quality QB (for some time), and neglecting to put a decent Oline together....year after year.

But this team was still an elite team even after the Dumverville debacle.

But they lost too much leadership and savvy when they more or less forced Manning to retire.
    My main point being that there were signs of poor management early on. The Manning era was lighting in a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketArm006 View Post
    My main point being that there were signs of poor management early on. The Manning era was lighting in a bottle.
    Well, they seem to draft very well and were able to attract top-flight free agents too.

If you think about the talent we had from 2012-2015, it certainly wasn't bad management then.

We'll never know, but I still think Peyton Manning had another season in him, maybe even two, had he not been asked to play in Kubiak's offense. Greatly limited of course, but not to the extent that we saw under Kubiak.
    Adopted Poster
    AZ Snake Fan

Quote Originally Posted by BroncosDivision View Post
    We'll never know, but I still think Peyton Manning had another season in him, maybe even two, had he not been asked to play in Kubiak's offense.
    I believe that also. I also know that Elway & Kubiak didn't want Manning to come back, which certainly didn't help things and ultimately forced Manning to retire.

Well, they seem to draft very well and were able to attract top-flight free agents too.

If you think about the talent we had from 2012-2015, it certainly wasn't bad management then.
    They landed FAs because of Manning. I give Elway credit for landing Manning, but the windfall of FAs that occurred afterwards was due to Manning, not FO savvy.

I personally think drafting has been downright bad for the most part, so I guess Ill just agree to disagree on that one.

I'm sure when asked to return
    Manning was like, "Yeah, I'm good."

Didn't Brock just retire?

3) Hiring Vance Joseph.

Agreed.

Meh. I think LAR's D is overhyped.

Blasphemy!
    Response in bold.

i wouldnt say it was lightning in a bottle, id just say we had a successful enough team to attract one of the greatest QBs to ever take the field. Even with declining physical attributes he was a field general like no other. The team is a dumpster fire right now

IT all comes down to two things. Drafting and coaching.

Elite coaches and staff's never collapse the way denver does.
    Elite rosters never collapse the way Denver does.

Right now, we have neither an elite roster nor an elite coaching staff. I am willing to give the coaches time to gel, its a new group working together, but the drafting is inexcusable.
    Going on record saying I love our off season coaching hires.

Manning is the sole reason for all of that success. He was able to overcome a terrible o-line and masked Elways poor drafting. We won the SB with Schofield at RT for goodness sake.