View Poll Results: What "Role" Would You Fix First???

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • GM

20 35.71%
  • Coach

1 1.79%
  • QB

6 10.71%
  • Oline

29 51.79%
  • Interior D

0 0%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    For years fans complained how Mike Shanahan couldn't produce a super bowl winning team post Elway. Oh how tides have changed. Mike had 2 sub 500 seasons after winning back to back super bowls and was fired after finding a new franchisee QB and an 8/8 record.

Broncos deserve some dark times for their mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by rst08tierney View Post
    For years fans complained how Mike Shanahan couldn't produce a super bowl winning team post Elway. Oh how tides have changed. Mike had 2 sub 500 seasons after winning back to back super bowls and was fired after finding a new franchisee QB and an 8/8 record.

I was actually pretty excited back in 07-08. The offense was looking pretty promising. We can only imagine how great that offense could have been under Mikeís tutelage.

The thing that was killing Mike was his mind blowing crazy moves with that horrific defensive. All those trades for ex-Browns, going through DCs like tissue paper, etc.

I loved Mike. We can only speculate how things would have gone if we just stuck with him through the remainder of his contract at the time - which I think was 2 years.

Alas. Here we are. Hereís hoping our young QB works out and we can fix the o-line in short order.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketArm006 View Post
    I was actually pretty excited back in 07-08. The offense was looking pretty promising. We can only imagine how great that offense could have been under Mikeís tutelage.

The thing that was killing Mike was his mind blowing crazy moves with that horrific defensive. All those trades for ex-Browns, going through DCs like tissue paper, etc.

I loved Mike. We can only speculate how things would have gone if we just stuck with him through the remainder of his contract at the time - which I think was 2 years.

Alas. Here we are. Hereís hoping our young QB works out and we can fix the o-line in short order.
    The browncos took us to the AFCCG..... Which was mind blowing

Shanahan was awful his last couple years here. We had no choice but to move on. Under Shanahan's guidance, our defense was the worst in the league. The only defense that was comparable was the Lions defense which was so bad the Lions went 0-16.

And the Broncos have made 2 Super Bowls since firing Shanahan while Shanahan is out of the league. The league past up Mike Shanahan. We were right to move on.

The browncos took us to the AFCCG..... Which was mind blowing
    Haha. Truly mind blowing. That 08 defense was historically bad, though.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy22jeff View Post
    1. Fire current coach and staff
    2. O-line, O-line, O-line
    3. Trash Flacco and evaluate if Lock is the answer

On paper we look good. Offense: Lindsey, Freeman, Sutton, Sanders, Janovich Defense: Miller, Chubb, Harris, Reed, Jackson, Simmons.

Our weak points are HUGE weak points: QB, O-line, and coaching. Until these are addressed, we will be an armpit of a team
    First off - we need to put these coaches and their staff into perspective.

1. Did we expect Alexander Johnson to be who he is now? - I thought he had potential but even what he is doing now is incredible. We cannot slam these coaches but then go gaga over players that they develop. The coaches had something to do with that

2. Dalton Risner - again much like Johnson wow has he ever turned into a great player for us.

3. We are running on fumes for our CBs. In fact our primary starting CB has yet to see the field for our team in a meaningful game. We have continued to develop backup CBs and they are looking pretty good. Not great but pretty good. The one guy who is NOT looking good is Elway's pick - Yiadom....

4. DL/DT- We never did truly address our NT/DT spot. I'd be very curious where a player like Da'Ron Payne might cost in a trade?

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    You know, even though I do not see someone firing Elway, I do agree that a rebuild of the nature many of us speak, where we load up on draft capital, and replace players that just don't fit/cut it, is not something Elway is good at. So, if he does the smart thing, to at least hire the right person for the GM job...which is something that does worry me, given his personnel moves in the past, he must stay far away from the scene. Because we do not want him influencing the details of a rebuild, or mini rebuild....whatever we call it.

You see, I am more down on this team than I should be, but when folks here talk about the changes that would help us, I get pumped to some degree. Why? Because it's achievable. We could muster up a load of draft capital with some trades. Heck, Jalen just went for 2 firsts and a 4th!! Even if we don't get that lucky, in terms of desperation trades, we can move some quality players and fatten up our draft wallet. AND if the right person is in charge, we can take care of the deficiencies most of us agree on.

Imagine that, a younger team with so much promise! And potentially a team with a whole new direction.
    There was a GREAT video I saw on the NYJ GM getting fired and I saw this narrative come out by the various TV pundits. Their general comments were "Why would you have the GM continue a team rebuild in the off-season - then fire him". I agree. Why fire a guy you are having rebuild your team after he has sunk a bunch of cash into players who your new GM may well hate...Also those same players may hinder that new GMs ability to build the team the way they'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by 58Miller View Post
    So what Qb do you guys want.
    Herbert, Fromm, Love, Tua, ?
    Don't know...what's Cutler, Tebow, Simms, Osweiler or Lynch up to these days?
    Utah Bronco Freak

Iím pretty much in the same boat. For the short term, Iím just hoping to have something to be excited about for the remainder of the season. Also, I think seeing Lock is crucial to assessing the upcoming draft/offseason.
    Seeing him play should definitely help assess the draft/off season. I think someone said the Broncos wonít draft a quarterback after drafting Lock. I think we draft a quarterback if weíre near the top 5, maybe 6-8. Even if Lock plays fairly well thereís no reason to not go after a top prospect. The Broncos could trade Lock or keep both and let them compete for the starting job. If we pile up draft picks with trades weíll have the capital to move up.

Quote Originally Posted by mozzerpete View Post
    OK, but if he gets hurt due to poor line play
    then you will have some explaining to do.

If he survives with two workable thumbs
    then you can take all the credit.

When can he officially start?
    Meh, like Joe Ellis and John Elway Iím not accountable to anyone. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by mojo0730 View Post
    You absolutely cannot fire Fangio right now. That would be ludicrous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Houshmazode View Post
    Yeah, if everyone thinks the team now is a dumpster fire just wait until nobody will coach here any more.
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo0730 View Post
    I imagine that with only 32 positions available, the Broncos would be able to find someone to coach the team. It may not be a "hot", well-known candidate but they'd find someone.

The bigger issue is the fact that if you fire Fangio and hire someone else, that would be 4 head coaches in 5 seasons. You can't build anything sustainable nor retain credibility with players moving coaches in and out at that pace. You have to be patient with the coaching staff and give them at least 3 years to build this up. Look at how that's paying off in San Francisco.
    Fangio and his coaches have made mistakes however, no way would you fire them at this point. Despite the losses there are some talented young players on the roster. The coaching and development can continue. The players who care need stability.

From an accountability standpoint I do think itís important for Fangio to address guys like Bolles. He needs to make a move to get Bolles off the field when James returns. Keeping Bolles our there tells every young player that he gets special treatment for poor play. Fangioís message on death by inches will ring hollow if he lets a guy like Bolles continue starting.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Seeing him play should definitely help assess the draft/off season. I think someone said the Broncos won’t draft a quarterback after drafting Lock. I think we draft a quarterback if we’re near the top 5, maybe 6-8. Even if Lock plays fairly well there’s no reason to not go after a top prospect. The Broncos could trade Lock or keep both and let them compete for the starting job. If we pile up draft picks with trades we’ll have the capital to move up.
    Totally agree that QB isn't out of the question #1 in the draft, especially if they're in the top 5 - which is a distinct possibility. My main gripe is the FO has never committed to a young QB and built around him. Whether it's Lock or a high pick in the draft, let's finally commit to our young gunslinger and build around him. Enough trotting out old rentals. Let's build this team around our draft picks instead of stashing them on the depth chart behind subpar vet FAs - that goes for the entire team, not just QB.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    As for GM....I do think this is a big issue. I want badly for Elway to change the organization. He can be the President, but he should hire a talented GM by end of season, as early as a person can be hired....to get a step up on the '20 offseason. I will admit, I debate this one, because I see it as a top priority. But I am hoping that the QB situation is given a new life, once Lock returns. Then we can plan what to do beyond this season. If he doesn't have it, at least we can make that the big priority in '20, under a new GM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    If I were the owner I would bring in a personal consultant (much like Kubiak was) for Elway to help with drafting. I would let him fulfill his contract and if by the end of next season I don't see the progress I look for a different GM.
    We can't ignore that Elway's guidance resulted in 2 very different Super Bowl rosters over the course of a couple years. As the Broncos have struggled to duplicate talent acquisition success, I consider that the Broncos personnel department has consistently shrunk over the years. Just in the last few years ...

Tom Heckert was promoted to a senior position, replaced by his assistant (AJ Durso) to Dir of Pro Personnel. No Assistant Dir of Pro Personnel was hired and then Tom Heckert left the Broncos (and passed soon after).

Kubiak was in a senior position and left without being replaced.

Adam Peters left for the 49ers. Brian Stark was promoted from National Scout to Dir of College Scouting but seems no one replace him as National Scout.

I recall reading a couple years ago that the Broncos now had one of the smallest front office staffs in the NFL and that was prior to some of the above changes so, if anything, it may be even smaller now.

This leads me to wonder if Joe Ellis is a bigger cause of the Broncos struggles on the talent evaluation side. If he is tightening the purse strings, it is very possible he is telling Elway that he can't hire additional staff, particularly upper level, leaving the staff stretched too thin. It could even explain Elway's reliance on input from coaches (Garett Bolles, Adam Gotis) more than he should as he may be trying to get more voices involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    First off - we need to put these coaches and their staff into perspective.

1. Did we expect Alexander Johnson to be who he is now? - I thought he had potential but even what he is doing now is incredible. We cannot slam these coaches but then go gaga over players that they develop. The coaches had something to do with that

2. Dalton Risner - again much like Johnson wow has he ever turned into a great player for us.

3. We are running on fumes for our CBs. In fact our primary starting CB has yet to see the field for our team in a meaningful game. We have continued to develop backup CBs and they are looking pretty good. Not great but pretty good. The one guy who is NOT looking good is Elway's pick - Yiadom....

4. DL/DT- We never did truly address our NT/DT spot. I'd be very curious where a player like Da'Ron Payne might cost in a trade?

There was a GREAT video I saw on the NYJ GM getting fired and I saw this narrative come out by the various TV pundits. Their general comments were "Why would you have the GM continue a team rebuild in the off-season - then fire him". I agree. Why fire a guy you are having rebuild your team after he has sunk a bunch of cash into players who your new GM may well hate...Also those same players may hinder that new GMs ability to build the team the way they'd like.
    Add DeMarcus Walker. Although he was a 2nd round pick, Vance Joseph almost ruined his career.

Totally agree that QB isn't out of the question #1 in the draft, especially if they're in the top 5 - which is a distinct possibility. My main gripe is the FO has never committed to a young QB and built around him. Whether it's Lock or a high pick in the draft, let's finally commit to our young gunslinger and build around him. Enough trotting out old rentals. Let's build this team around our draft picks instead of stashing them on the depth chart behind subpar vet FAs - that goes for the entire team, not just QB.
    Agreed. Unless thereís a quarterback with only 4-6 years in the league, develop your guy. Teams with franchise quarterbacks usually keep them. Manning was a very unique situation.

O-line!!!!