Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 221

Thread: Tom Brady?

  1. #181
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hampshire,england
    Posts
    12,902
    I thought he would be back at the Pats, I was wrong.

    I still think if NE and Brady want to win the next SB then he should be playing there. I don't see how it helps either side, I see both struggling.

    Someone make a fair point though in this thread that he may want a new challenge and change of scenery before he retires so thats fair enough.

  2. #182
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    35,985
    Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    It’s actually about as good a spot as possible for him to be successful. As the arm continues to wear down it’ll be less noticeable playing in a conference that features 2 domed teams and 2 warmer climates.
    Hey beast.....do you agree, they will likely win 10 or 11 games this season?

    The problem though, is he is now in the mighty NFC, so going far will be difficult.

    And will you folks, who I think are my buds, disown me for good if I kind of root for him a little?? Tom Brady not with The pats, including BB, seems like a different person to me. And I will be honest, his choosing a team partly at least due to family, including his son from his relationship with Michelle Monaghan, is a pretty nice thing indeed. I believe family was a big factor, because I had The Chargers pretty much a lock, based on a number of factors.

  3. #183
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hampshire,england
    Posts
    12,902
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    As to his value? I will assume I got this right, and I will admit that he too has a very real effect on their performance. Sure, they could make the playoffs again this year, with a decent replacement QB. Belichick is one of the best, so I do not pretend they are in a deep hole. But I don't see many replacements who could win the way Brady did, even with BB and good teams. I see them as a small threat and nothing more. These are times for me to admit that Brady worked some magic for them that few others could.
    NE will find out like every other team in history that you cannot just replace a HOF QB and carry on winning, they will go through a period of transition.

  4. #184
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    215
    Here's an interesting stat about Brady. In his career with that Patriots, he threw more than two interceptions in a playoff game 10 times. He went 6-4 in those games.

    It's interesting to compare this to some of the other quarterbacks who get mentioned in the debate: (Montana, Bradshaw, Elway, Marino, Manning)

    Montana was 4-1 in such games. Bradshaw was 4-5 Both of these guys won 4 Super Bowls

    Mannng was 2-5 in such games (coincidentally, both the wins came in his first Super Bowl season. Elway was 1-3. Both of these guys won 2 Super Bowls.

    Marino, who never won a Super Bowl, was 1-8 in such games.

    I guess maybe other factors besides quarterback play determine your team's success.

  5. #185
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    35,985
    Quote Originally Posted by dolphinsneu View Post
    Here's an interesting stat about Brady. In his career with that Patriots, he threw more than two interceptions in a playoff game 10 times. He went 6-4 in those games.

    It's interesting to compare this to some of the other quarterbacks who get mentioned in the debate: (Montana, Bradshaw, Elway, Marino, Manning)

    Montana was 4-1 in such games. Bradshaw was 4-5 Both of these guys won 4 Super Bowls

    Mannng was 2-5 in such games (coincidentally, both the wins came in his first Super Bowl season. Elway was 1-3. Both of these guys won 2 Super Bowls.

    Marino, who never won a Super Bowl, was 1-8 in such games.

    I guess maybe other factors besides quarterback play determine your team's success.
    Now that Brady is officially a non pat.....it's something I sometimes do when players move that I do not cheer for....but I instantly have a much less negative feeling toward him. In fact, right now I am a bit positive, given he had the guts and the wherewithal to leave. With him, BB , Kraft, the boastful ex's on NFL.com and the sometimes nauseating fans, I actually now realize that he singularly was not my point of contention. It was an overall attitude and way of playing, the Pats way. Some arrogance in my opinion.

    But now that he is gone I will say more good things about him. And the truest praise you can give a player is that he scared me in big games, with close scores, to the point I expected him to comeback. He was actually quite good in the 2nd half SB loss to The Eagles. Had them ahead against The Giants late in both SB losses (haha...I still love Eli for that!!), and the brain fart win over Seattle. The Atlanta "choke of the century" (sorry, but I hardly ever say the choke word, but when your coaches lose sight of the obvious, it's a choke)….in which Brady had to make that comeback, including 2 pointers. Not many QBs would have won that game. That one hurt the most, for me, because not only did Atlanta do everything possible to lose it, but Brady made that comeback. Lets just say I had a bad few days afterward.

    But Brady will be considered The GOAT or one of the top 3 in history. I admit it. I prefer Montana, coolest cat that ever walked the field. And his health has also amazed, given how good he looks for his age. I do think he might be the only human I know that actually sold his soul, because it seems unearthly what goes on in his world!!

    Do I love him....not there yet. But as I mentioned elsewhere, if he chose Tampa to be closer to his family, including his son in NYC, good on him!
    Last edited by CanDB; 03-20-2020 at 09:14 AM.

  6. #186
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    14,326
    A huge test for the New England coaching staff and their reputations and legacies. I am interested to see what Josh McDaniels produces without Brady as his quarterback, as he has been behind terrible offenses everytime he hasn't had Brady by his side. I think he might look back and regret not taking any of those head coaching roles in recent years because after he fails, like he did every time he hasn't had Brady by his side, I don't see them offers ever coming again. Especially after the Broncos mess he created and the slimey act he made towards the Colts. Happy Brady moved on, looking forward to seeing how Tampa come together.

  7. #187
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Madison,WI
    Posts
    19,055
    The story behind the split of Tom Brady, Bill Belichick and the Patriots
    Great read:

    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...chick-patriots

  8. #188
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    35,985
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
    Thx Brent! When this whole thing began, I started imagining what it was like for him, how things seemed less fun, how people were writing him off as a player, how Belichick's shadow is almost too prevailing, how Brady did not get the weapons he felt he needed...in fact, how excited he seemed when they were on the verge of signing Brown. I believe he was feeling a bit lost in the system. The Belichick system. And he had little to prove, if anything.

    So why not? He is if nothing else, a fierce competitor, and that late round draft chip seems to stay firmly on his shoulder.

    I did not know for sure he'd leave, but I saw the reasons why he might. I actually felt for him. He just wanted to have fun, be treated with the respect he deserves, and show everyone that he can still be a game changer.

    This is the most I've liked Tom Brady as far back as I go. I did not mind him in those early days, like when he beat our rivals - The Raiders, on that snowy day, on what was a terrible call by the refs! Should've known then that this guy was going to be a winner. But something happened for me and The Pats...mostly Belichick I believe. So I am happy for Brady now. I had picked him to line up with The Chargers back in January....I was close, but he made the family decision, and I respect him for that.

    Thanks again Brent. Like having you around here more!


  9. #189
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    the gulf of mexico
    Posts
    16,504
    Heard on Pat McAfee’s show today that apparently Tom Brady wanted to go to the Colts. That would’ve made the most sense to me, I’m guessing the Colts organization had too much respect for Manning to do that

  10. #190
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    35,985
    Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Heard on Pat McAfee’s show today that apparently Tom Brady wanted to go to the Colts. That would’ve made the most sense to me, I’m guessing the Colts organization had too much respect for Manning to do that
    Interesting. Do you buy it 100%? I guess I'm asking, is it solid source?

    Because it makes some sense. They have a quality team overall, minus a receiver or two. That would have been a priority in FA/The Draft. But they have one solid Oline, and some good backs. And it's indoor. And it's a short flight to family.

    I could see that team with a good QB and another receiver or two, being a winner.

  11. #191
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    the gulf of mexico
    Posts
    16,504
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Interesting. Do you buy it 100%? I guess I'm asking, is it solid source?

    Because it makes some sense. They have a quality team overall, minus a receiver or two. That would have been a priority in FA/The Draft. But they have one solid Oline, and some good backs. And it's indoor. And it's a short flight to family.

    I could see that team with a good QB and another receiver or two, being a winner.
    Tough to say for sure but the move would’ve made a lot of sense and even though Brady’s play dipped he was still better than Rivers and I think the Colts personnel is closer to matching what Brady has become accustomed to than the Bucs. I don’t think Mike Evans is going to benefit as much from Brady as some do, same with Howard. I do think Brate and Godwin will thrive with him however and the RB with the name I’m not even going to try and spell will probably surprise a lot of people. But ultimately I feel the Bucs and Colts got things mixed up.

    I wonder if Rivers is going to drive back and forth from Indy to his new residence in Florida. I jest but I think the time away from his family will take a bigger toll than all the back and forth did for him last season, this will definitely be his last season.

  12. #192
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    35,985
    Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Tough to say for sure but the move would’ve made a lot of sense and even though Brady’s play dipped he was still better than Rivers and I think the Colts personnel is closer to matching what Brady has become accustomed to than the Bucs. I don’t think Mike Evans is going to benefit as much from Brady as some do, same with Howard. I do think Brate and Godwin will thrive with him however and the RB with the name I’m not even going to try and spell will probably surprise a lot of people. But ultimately I feel the Bucs and Colts got things mixed up.

    I wonder if Rivers is going to drive back and forth from Indy to his new residence in Florida. I jest but I think the time away from his family will take a bigger toll than all the back and forth did for him last season, this will definitely be his last season.
    I am actually taking note of what The Bucs are doing in FA and then in The Draft, to make Brady even happier. I could see an Oliner pretty early. I have not been a big fan of their backfield, but maybe they will be more effective now, given the different type of O that will be in place. If you got good hands, you are going to be good! And as you say, it's an opportunity for some to shine brighter.

    As for Rivers...he will have a better Oline in Indy. But he sure seemed like a liability last season. Hey, different place, different faces...might have a mini resurgence.

  13. #193
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    35,985
    I have a new take on this topic. I think The pats made a mistake, because Brady (even though less effective of late) could still win them another SB, with a weapon or two. He was their best chance going into the coming season. And whether it's Stidham or whoever, they are not the same threat.

    By passing this by, they may have just saw their SB ring collection go on hold, for many. many years. One more was doable, if they showed Brady more respect. Not a guarantee, but they had a much better chance with him. Is Stidham or some other mediocre QB going to win games from behind, with little time on the clock? Or give them big leads? I doubt it.

  14. #194
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hampshire,england
    Posts
    12,902
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I have a new take on this topic. I think The pats made a mistake, because Brady (even though less effective of late) could still win them another SB, with a weapon or two. He was their best chance going into the coming season. And whether it's Stidham or whoever, they are not the same threat.

    By passing this by, they may have just saw their SB ring collection go on hold, for many. many years. One more was doable, if they showed Brady more respect. Not a guarantee, but they had a much better chance with him. Is Stidham or some other mediocre QB going to win games from behind, with little time on the clock? Or give them big leads? I doubt it.
    yea good point. I thought they would stay together because it made the most sense, but I can understand that Brady wanted a new challenge before he hangs em up.

    NE would have had a chance with Brady next season, they needed to give him a little more help on offense and he would have had more time to work with new receivers such as Neal and Sanu.

    I think the Pats will learn what every other team has has to, that its tough replacing a franchise QB.

  15. #195
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    35,985
    https://nypost.com/2020/04/08/tom-br...-our-marriage/

    Good on Brady to open up about his marriage, and how Gisele wasn't satisfied with things a couple of years back. As in, when are you going to do your part for the family.

    He will gain more respect for this, and I would not rule it out as a factor with his leaving NE. It was probably more of a family decision.

    Good on you TB! I am liking you more every day!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •