Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Brady?

Quote Originally Posted by DevilSpawn View Post
    I hear the Chargers are re-signing Rivers. I can't see a scenario of Brady leaving the Pats for another team because I can't see the Pats letting that happen.

All of the remaining teams in the playoffs can beat New England, which hasn't been the case in the past.
    Depends who gets final say. If Belichick gets the last word I think Brady is absolutely gone. If Kraft overrules him (due to sentimentality) then I think they keep Brady.

Brady is absolutely in decline, everyone can see it. He's not going to get any better, I can't see Belichick wanting to continue down this road knowing that it's only got one way that it ends.

I could see McDaniels signing Brady if he does finally leave.

Lmao!!!
    2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones

Well....this may not be Brady's last game, or last game as a pat, but it is definitely his last game this year.

But I do feel like he could leave the pats (to another team), and if nothing else, he will think hard about things for the next month.
    Last edited by CanDB; 01-04-2020 at 10:06 PM.

Tom Brady

I'm calling my shot right now:
    Tom Brady will be a Dallas Cowboy next year and Josh McDaniels will be his Head Coach.
    Dallas is the only playoff-ready with Super Bowl ambitions team, that plays in a garbage division.
    Brady has had the luxury of being in the AFC East all his career, the weakest division in all of football since the turn of the Century. He will want to continue that trend by moving to the NFC.
    Dallas is the most obvious choice IMO.
    Last edited by Broncodoodle; 01-04-2020 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Update

Brady ain’t playing anywhere else..and MCD is a horrible fit with Jerry..
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

Quote Originally Posted by Broncodoodle View Post
    I'm calling my shot right now:
    Tom Brady will be a Dallas Cowboy next year and Josh McDaniels will be his Head Coach.
    Dallas is the only playoff-ready with Super Bowl ambitions team, that plays in a garbage division.
    Brady has had the luxury of being in the AFC East all his career, the weakest division in all of football since the turn of the Century. He will want to continue that trend by moving to the NFC.
    Dallas is the most obvious choice IMO.
    Why is Dallas the most obvious choice? That puts them in a very precarious position. No QB for the future on the roster and very little if any cap room to add pieces to the roster and they still have to do extensions for I believe Cooper and Byron Jones.

I think Chicago makes a ton of sense. Great young combo RB in montgomery, great receiving threat in Cohen, solid TEs in Burton and Shaheen, pretty good WR and Robinson and possibly Miller, a dangerous defense despite a down year compared to the previous season. And on top of all that a huge question mark with a young QB that might really benefit from a veteran presence. Trubisky started one season in college, he hasnít played a lot of football in general, this could potentially revitalize his caree if Brady doesnít play to 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Houshmazode View Post
    Lmao!!!
    Watching the Titans burn 1:46 off the clock while Billy had a meltdown was priceless.
    [

In their division, Buffalo has a solid future and even the Dolphins and Jets have something to build on. The gaps will slowly close and they could see more than a Dolphin upset during the season. Still, I see them going no worse than 4-2 in their division, as of now. The draft and free agency might change my thinking.

Our division probably has 3 teams fighting for a playoff spot.

The South has 2 strong teams in the Titans and Texans, and perhaps the Colts.

And Brady won't miraculously get better at 43 or 44.

So if he comes back, it will be his most difficult path to another ring. Going from 32 to 33 vs 42 to 43 is a world of difference. Diet and offseason training are great linemen, but Father Time's blitz packages can't be schemed against.

And another problem is, Baltimore and KC aren't going away in the next two years, so he's likely looking at more Wild Card appearances.

Regardless, I think Brady stays in New England for 1 more year. He'll love the challenges and as a competitor, he won't retire until he can't physically do it anymore. The Patriots are still good enough to win their division and won't be worst than 10-6. But they're not the class of the AFC anymore, at least not at this very minute. As with the other teams, free agency and the draft could change that and give Brady a better chance to thrive.
    Last edited by DevilSpawn; 01-05-2020 at 07:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilSpawn View Post
    In their division, Buffalo has a solid future and even the Dolphins and Jets have something to build on. The gaps will slowly close and they could see more than a Dolphin upset during the season. Still, I see them going no worse than 4-2 in their division, as of now. The draft and free agency might change my thinking.

Our division probably has 3 teams fighting for a playoff spot.

The South has 2 strong teams in the Titans and Texans, and perhaps the Colts.

And Brady won't miraculously get better at 43 or 44.

So if he comes back, it will be his most difficult path to another ring. Going from 32 to 33 vs 42 to 43 is a world of difference. Diet and offseason training are great linemen, but Father Time's blitz packages can't be schemed against.

And another problem is, Baltimore and KC aren't going away in the next two years, so he's likely looking at more Wild Card appearances.

Regardless, I think Brady stays in New England for 1 more year. He'll love the challenges and as a competitor, he won't retire until he can't physically do it anymore. The Patriots are still good enough to win their division and won't be worst than 10-6. But they're not the class of the AFC anymore, at least not at this very minute. As with the other teams, free agency and the draft could change that and give Brady a better chance to thrive.
    Tom messed up by not retiring after the SB last year. He's never going to win the SB again - with any team.

As I have mentioned earlier, Brady seems less a pat this year than ever before. He has been ticked part of the season for decisions made internally, or so it seems. Last night, after the game, he did not use the "we" word when instead he used the "they" word. May just be small things. But when I try to imagine a person's situation, I try to put myself in their shoes....though my shoes are much smaller than his.

Let me begin with, although I am not a Brady fan, he is a great QB. And I take it he is a pretty decent guy off the field. So if I can be objective:
    1) As described, there are signs that he is less happy, and there have been rumours
    2) He has accomplished almost everything with the pats, and as the Beast noted, he is now compared only to the best, and some may diminish his greatness because of the "system" and the great HC he played in and for. Though I would even give him a pass on most of that. He made the plays.
    3) He might want a reboot, and I can see a place like LA Chargers, a place he is comfortable with in terms of living, and a team with excellent weapons. My goodness, 2 fabulous RBs, one excellent WR - Allen, and other good ones, along with a very valuable TE - Henry. He could make things happen with that crowd. And they have several studs on D, and with the right acquisitions, could be a very competitive D unit. Plus they lost a lot of close games, and Rivers was not exactly wonderful. Of course, what to do with Rivers? If he stays, I am barking up the wrong tree.
    4) Perhaps another team....the names I hear are Chicago, and get this, Denver. Hey, if Lock did not prove himself, I would have been cool with it, BUT, our Oline and weapons are not to his level of need, at this stage of his game.

Listen, he may not go anywhere. he may return to the pats, and win another SB. People say he looks motivated, big time. BUT....when I combine what I hear from him, what the rumours have said, what I observe, and what may make sense for a guy who has done it all, and wants to have a refresher....I can see it happening.
    Last edited by CanDB; 01-05-2020 at 09:46 AM.

Why does everyone keep talking like Stidham isnít currently on the Pats roster?

He was the second most impressive rookie QB in preseason behind Daniel Jones. Everyone including media is quick to dismiss it but I donít believe BB will be. Iíd be willing to bet he thinks he has his next 16 year starter already on the roster.

If Brady isnít back theyíll likely add a qb bit I donít think itíll be a first round qb. It might be a vet to give stidham another year of development but it could also be a late round qb to sit behind stidham. I could see Stidham getting a one year shot at it. He may not be the guy but Herbert hasnít shown me anything stidham canít do.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Why does everyone keep talking like Stidham isn’t currently on the Pats roster?

He was the second most impressive rookie QB in preseason behind Daniel Jones. Everyone including media is quick to dismiss it but I don’t believe BB will be. I’d be willing to bet he thinks he has his next 16 year starter already on the roster.

If Brady isn’t back they’ll likely add a qb bit I don’t think it’ll be a first round qb. It might be a vet to give stidham another year of development but it could also be a late round qb to sit behind stidham. I could see Stidham getting a one year shot at it. He may not be the guy but Herbert hasn’t shown me anything stidham can’t do.
    Good point. And even though it hurts to say it, with the right coaching (which they tend to have), The pats can make almost any decent QB fit their game plan. Lots of high % passes, maybe a good run game to support. Emphasis on solid D.

Meh. I don't think New England will amount to much once Belichik leaves.
    2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Why does everyone keep talking like Stidham isn’t currently on the Pats roster?

He was the second most impressive rookie QB in preseason behind Daniel Jones. Everyone including media is quick to dismiss it but I don’t believe BB will be. I’d be willing to bet he thinks he has his next 16 year starter already on the roster.

If Brady isn’t back they’ll likely add a qb bit I don’t think it’ll be a first round qb. It might be a vet to give stidham another year of development but it could also be a late round qb to sit behind stidham. I could see Stidham getting a one year shot at it. He may not be the guy but Herbert hasn’t shown me anything stidham can’t do.
    You never know but the chances of Stidham, a 4th round pick and mediocre college QB, amounting to anything are pretty low. History shows that when you lose a great QB it takes time to find another quality starting QB. I think they may look back and regret trading JG.

It obviously depends on who is available but NE really need to look at a round 1 or 2 QB and someone they really like to groom behind Brady who I think will play one more year.

I think Brady with a full offseason and TC with Harry, Sanu, and anyone else they bring in could make another run at it next year. IMO it would be crazy to let him go unless he really wants to leave which I just can't see happening.

Hang It Up Tom Brady, We've Seen Enough (title of this article)

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nfl...cid=spartandhp

This article spells it out pretty well. I agree with most of it, and if you have read my posts on the subject (primarily in Around The League) you will see that I have similar thoughts about where he would go, if he did leave the team, not the game. The Chargers make a lot of sense to me.

All in all, yes....Brady's performance was not that noteworthy in '19. He too has a clock to live by, and within. He should really consider retirement, given what he has achieved, and how good his life is, minus playing the game.

~~~~~~~~~~

After 20 seasons, six NFL championships, nine Super Bowl appearances, three MVPs, 17 division titles, 14 Pro Bowl appearances and untold other individual accolades, the greatest of all time should retire.

During his post-game presser following Saturday nightís home wild-card loss to Tennessee, the Patriots' Tom Brady dismissed the idea of retirement, or at least branded it highly unlikely, yet admitted he wasnít entirely sure what his immediate future holds. All anyone knows for now is that his contract will void once the new league year begins in March, thus presumably touching off the biggest free-agent sweepstakes the league has seen -- at least one featuring a 42-year-old quarterback.

If Brady is willing to play until he literally must be dragged from the field, some team undoubtedly will accommodate him. And itís reasonable to figure he could physically withstand playing another year, or maybe even two. He has maintained that his goal is to play until he's 45, and heíll be 43 at the start of the 2020 season. But for the first time in his extended run in the NFL, itís evident that returns are diminishing.

Brady's 2019 stats were his worst in over a decade, and it was the first year he didnít make the Pro Bowl since 2008 -- the season he was knocked out for the season in Week 1 with a knee injury. There were deficiencies in the Patriots' offense beyond Brady in 2019, but for once it was clear the quarterback was part of the problem as well.

When to walk away is a well-worn argument in sports for which there is no correct answer. For every Andrew Luck, an athlete with immense talent who decides the rigors of sport aren't worth sacrificing other aspects of a rich life, thereís someone like Brady, for whom football is the alpha and the omega. Both are faithful to their own desires, and who are we to tell them theyíre wrong? After all, theyíve put their bodies on the line for our entertainment.

Still, there are compelling reasons for Brady to leave now. For starters, there has been public friction between he and his wife about his continued playing. In 2017, months after a spat in the media with her husband about his unwillingness to retire, Gisele Bundchen claimed that Brady suffered a concussion the season before that had not been reported and expressed concern about the toll further head injuries would take on him. The NFL and the NFLPA disputed the claim about that particular concussion, yet for all we know about the NFLís checkered past of obscuring head injuries, itís hard to completely dismiss that out of hand. Besides, whether her specific allegations were true or not, it showed a willingness on the part of Gisele to apply public pressure to her husband to consider leaving football.

Thereís also the matter of Bradyís temperament. An obsessive competitor, he can often be spotted screaming on the field and on the sidelines when the offense isnít running smoothly. Now that his abilities are on the wane, itís difficult to see him deriving anywhere near as much satisfaction from playing if his performance wonít be what he wants it to be.

Itís entirely possible that Brady, if he does return for Year 21, will be back in New England, the only home heís known in his pro career. There was no hint of bitterness toward the organization in his presser Saturday. ďI love the Patriots. It's the greatest organization,Ē he told reporters. ďPlaying for Mr. [Robert] Kraft all these years, and for Coach Belichick, there's nobody who's had a better career, I would say, than me -- just being with them. So I'm very blessed.Ē

The Patriots are not sentimentalists, however. One of the hallmarks of the Belichick era has been the ruthless tendency, even by NFL standards, to cut loose players once their peak has passed. If anyone could be the exception, itís Brady, and with no clear successor waiting in the wings, the 2020 season could be a nightmare for New England if Touchdown Tom retires or signs elsewhere. Then again, a tactical mind like Belichick might be willing to bite the bullet on one bad season if it sets him up for another contending run in 2021, rather than pour everything into a so-so year in 2020. The AFC East is looking like itís no longer a gimme. The Bills are ascendant, and with all the resources the Dolphins have to play with in the offseason, they could be considerably better than the team that beat the Patriots in Foxborough in Week 17.

On NBCís broadcast of the Seahawks-Eagles game on Sunday, Cris Collinsworth speculated that Brady would end up in Los Angeles playing for the Chargers next season. By no means is he alone in that guess, and itís a viable enough scenario. Chargers GM Tom Telesco said last week that every position on the roster is up for evaluation, including QB. Longtime L.A. starter Philip Rivers, who is coming off a rocky 2019 of his own, is 38. The Chargers, along with the Rams, are moving into their new shared stadium in Inglewood next season, and will be doing whatever possible to drum up interest in ticket sales beyond the novelty of new digs.

But is that really an alluring twilight for Bradyís career? Playing for a team that finished 5-11 in 2019 with a quarterback whose passer rating was actually better than Bradyís? Reduced to a big-name attraction to sell tickets for a team that is second banana in its own market? It conjures memories of another quarterback who limped away from the sport after a run of unquestioned greatness. In 1973, Johnny Unitas left the Baltimore Colts after 17 years to play for the Chargers. That season for Johnny U, his last in the NFL, ended up being a rather pathetic affair.

Forty-three-year-old Brady has a little more left in the tank than 40-year-old Johnny U did at that point, though you can mostly chalk that up to advances in player conditioning and rules to protect quarterbacks. The result, though, would more or less be the same: a legend waging a losing battle against time.