Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Noah Can't Play

Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    They're all rooks tho
    Heck with the tradition. Letís go for the 11 amigos lol.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketArm006 View Post
    Heck with the tradition. Let’s go for the 11 amigos lol.
    I see that and I call. 53 amigos + 10 practice amigos + 1 possible international practice amigo.

The fact that there is still negativity around the Fant pick is crazy. He dropped 2 or 3 balls early and everyone decided he couldn't be great and was likely a bust. People don't want to let go of those drops despite all he's done since.

Quote Originally Posted by maaskesr View Post
    The fact that there is still negativity around the Fant pick is crazy. He dropped 2 or 3 balls early and everyone decided he couldn't be great and was likely a bust. People don't want to let go of those drops despite all he's done since.
    Similar situation to the Chubb thread that emerged early in the season last year.

Tight end Noah Fant posted the second 100-yard receiving game of his rookie season against the Texans to become just the sixth rookie tight end in NFL history to have multiple such games.

Quote Originally Posted by maaskesr View Post
    Why does everything have to be so far to either extreme ? People rightfully ripped on his soft and poor performance throughout this season, that is fair, he had them. People have supported him after his big games where he was an impact player, he had those games too. It's his rookie year, there has been some good, some bad, about an equal amount in my opinion, and I think everyone has been right in critiquing him and supporting him. I don't understand being so far one way or the other in either camp, everyone has been right to make their judgements both ways based on the mixed bag of performances Fant has produced.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    Tight end Noah Fant posted the second 100-yard receiving game of his rookie season against the Texans to become just the sixth rookie tight end in NFL history to have multiple such games.

TE stats ranking: Noah #12, TJ #24...

Great Job Elway!
    [

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    Why does everything have to be so far to either extreme ? People rightfully ripped on his soft and poor performance throughout this season, that is fair, he had them. People have supported him after his big games where he was an impact player, he had those games too. It's his rookie year, there has been some good, some bad, about an equal amount in my opinion, and I think everyone has been right in critiquing him and supporting him. I don't understand being so far one way or the other in either camp, everyone has been right to make their judgements both ways based on the mixed bag of performances Fant has produced.
    This is the way I feel pretty much. I have no problem giving him props and I sincerely hope he pans out. There's a ton of expectations that go along with getting picked that high. And a TE getting picked that high makes it even MORE expectations.

My biggest concern is Fant playing his size. Usually it seems to me that physicality comes day 1. If you're a physical player you're a physical player. The display of finesse and intricacies of an offense for a rookie TE come later, so I don't expect Gronk or Kittle with Fant. I expect more Julius Thomas but hopefully tougher. I just wish at his size and draft pedigree, he played a little angrier. But he has to be who he is. If he can produce like Julius did when he produced well, I have no problem with him...........pretty much
    Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

Yeah - it's funny how people want to box you into a corner when you lean to one side of the fence. It's not binary.

I probably should have been more clear with the title of this thread. When I made this thread it was reported that "Noah Fant can't play" (practice) because he cut his foot. I think it was late in the week and I may have assumed he wouldn't be ready for Sunday but I don't recall.

I should have titled it "Noah can't practice" Because that's all I was meaning to say in the title. Now in that OP I levied some critique on Fant and I stand by what I said. But I still have hope that he pans out. That play where he got the ball ripped out of his hands by a tiny DB still makes me cringe. That can NEVER happen again. On the other side of the coin, he's been a real weapon in some of our drives. And now with a fearless arm at QB -- the future could be very bright.

I would caution fans not to expect the kind of physicality you see in Kittle or Gronk. It's just not in the cards. I just hope that if he's not going to be that impactful physically, that he can show up with finesse and cleverness and speed etc.

He's been playing better and he's starting to look more comfortable. I'm encouraged
    Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

I think it's ok to be critical when he had some drops earlier, but to continue to act like he's still not a great value for where he went in the draft seems a little crazy. When was the last time a TE had this good of a rookie season, for any team, let alone with the QB failings we had this year?

Every indication is it was a great pick. He struggled a bit early, and they kept trying to do the stupid jet sweep with him which always failed (but wasn't his fault) but he has done as much as one can to be called a "hit" so far. Obviously that can still change, as it can for any young player. But I just keep seeing "yeah, he had a pretty good game, but I still don't know. He drops too many balls."

Edit: Maybe its just we've been burned on so many TE's in the last few years. Or that he's a first round pick. I just don't understand the continued pessimistic view towards him.
    Last edited by maaskesr; 12-11-2019 at 02:12 PM.

Because many people make the wrong comparisons and compare Fant to experienced TEs. The comparisons should be to other rookie TE seasons. As stated before, TE is the hardest position for rookies to learn. They are in both the receivers room and the OL room, two totally different skill sets, and their heads are swimming and "softness" may be more a case of indecision than being "soft".

Shannon Sharpe barely played as a rookie. Another Hall of Fame TE (and there aren't many of them) Tony Gonzales really struggled his first two years.

Everything is relative, and in relation to other rookie TEs Fant is doing well. If he gets better or not, we don't know. But any judgement about his performance should be judged fairly.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    Yeah - it's funny how people want to box you into a corner when you lean to one side of the fence. It's not binary.

I probably should have been more clear with the title of this thread. When I made this thread it was reported that "Noah Fant can't play" (practice) because he cut his foot. I think it was late in the week and I may have assumed he wouldn't be ready for Sunday but I don't recall.

I should have titled it "Noah can't practice" Because that's all I was meaning to say in the title. Now in that OP I levied some critique on Fant and I stand by what I said. But I still have hope that he pans out. That play where he got the ball ripped out of his hands by a tiny DB still makes me cringe. That can NEVER happen again. On the other side of the coin, he's been a real weapon in some of our drives. And now with a fearless arm at QB -- the future could be very bright.

I would caution fans not to expect the kind of physicality you see in Kittle or Gronk. It's just not in the cards. I just hope that if he's not going to be that impactful physically, that he can show up with finesse and cleverness and speed etc.

He's been playing better and he's starting to look more comfortable. I'm encouraged
    The ball being ripped out had little to do with physicality. He had the ball away from his body and the CB got his hand in between the ball and Fantís body, the CB had more control of the ball at that point. It was just sloppy technique that led to it. Either way itís semantics.

But that play has directly led his long TD against the Browns as everyone was ripping at the ball and the long play where Roby went after the ball last week. As long as he maintains 3 points of contacts or at least 2 when he or the defender is initiating contact he will be fine.

Can someone post the play of Fants touchdown against the Browns for the people that claim Fant is soft.

Which one? The one against the Texans https://youtu.be/4LqO5hIpdms
    Or the one against the Browns? https://youtu.be/0B9RiTCjOpg

Thanks! All he did was bulldoze the safety then break two more tackles on his way to the house! Thats not soft.