Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Noah Can't Play

Pretty sure heís the top rookie TE in the league. Even the INT, to me, looked like a veteran move Iíve seen Witten do hundreds of times. The S had inside leverage and broke off his route expecting Allen to read the inside leverage and throw it back shoulder. Unfortunately that didnít happen.

Fant is showing some flashes, but heís making some rookie mistakes. I think he has a chance to develop, but heís obviously a bit raw. He makes some nice plays up the seam and that play against the Browns was very encouraging. Still, he definitely needs to improve his blocking game and needs to develop more consistency in his route running. Definitely not a bust IMO, but he has some development to go through.

Keep in mind he came into a brand new offense ........new OC ........ new QB's now. Not exactly going to play for Tom Brady.

But he's showing improvement from his shaky start. Saw both good and bad today.
    Red 98

The early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese

Fant is about where he is expected to be for a rookie tight end, if not moving at a faster rate. By next season I expect him to be a consistent TE1. The front office is doing what we need for new rookie high draft picks - playing them. If only that philosophy could be applied at another position.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Right now he's been doing about as well as I expected which is good with spots of bad, if you think a rookie TE was going to come in here on day 1 and be on fire then you have the wrong perception about him. Now next year He should be noticeably better. Oh, and don't hold those jet sweeps against him today, that's just really weird playcalling.

Fant already has the Broncos rookie TE receiving record, heís also leading all rookie TEís (including Hockenson) in yards and receptions.

Heís had struggles, but thatís standard with pretty much all rookie TEs

Quote Originally Posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
    Fant already has the Broncos rookie TE receiving record, heís also leading all rookie TEís (including Hockenson) in yards and receptions.

Heís had struggles, but thatís standard with pretty much all rookie TEs
    Our first 2 picks from 2019 look pretty good so far.

Fant has pleasantly surprised me.

That 70 yard TD catch and run showed what
    he'll become once he grows into a NFL TE.

He needs to mature both physically and mentally,
    but we may have the next Gronk.

I wouldn't use him as a running back, though,
    because he doesn't seem agile enough.

I would love to draft WR Jerry Judy and line him up opposite
    Sutton, leaving the center field open for Fant and Lindsay.

Coaches need to talk to him about the last play of the game today. Even if he caught that TD pass it would have been called back. That was the most blatant Offensive PI I have ever seen. He literally shoved the defender away from him. Needs to do better.

That being said, the kid is coming along well. Ever since Sanders left he is getting a chance and I like what I am seeing.
    Going on record saying I love our off season coaching hires.

When I watch him block...

I just can't help but conclude he's giving about 70-80% effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsam View Post
    Coaches need to talk to him about the last play of the game today. Even if he caught that TD pass it would have been called back. That was the most blatant Offensive PI I have ever seen. He literally shoved the defender away from him. Needs to do better.

That being said, the kid is coming along well. Ever since Sanders left he is getting a chance and I like what I am seeing.
    I agree completely. I'm rooting for him and hoping he develops, but my biggest concern with him is that he doesn't want the physicality of playing in the NFL. I don't want to say he's soft, but he appears that way sometimes. Allen likely scores if Fant is holding his block on that late scramble at the end of the game. On the interception before halftime, Fant kind of gave up on the route and allowed a clear path for the safety to intercept the ball.

At this point, I say just use him to the best of his ability, and that's just create routes for him to get mismatches vs LBs and throw it to him if he's wide open. I don't know why we continue to try to hand him the football on these trick plays, it hasn't worked once this year. I really feel like Scangarello is trying to force him the ball to get him rolling. I don't know how he led the team in targets with Sutton and Tim Patrick making plays the way they were. He's got a lot of potential, but I don't think we're using him correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    Noah Fant continues to display the kind of softness you should be able to detect BEFORE the draft. It was known there was a rumor about this

...... now he cut himself removing tape after practice. I think he's scared to fail. Actually I could only hope he cares that much
    OP looks a little silly now, isn't he still ahead of Kittle in rookie yardage?

If anyone is soft, it's Juwan James, but this game takes all sorts. Soft can be a positive too
    Denver Broncos Fan from UK

Quote Originally Posted by marktippins1981 View Post
    OP looks a little silly now, isn't he still ahead of Kittle in rookie yardage?

If anyone is soft, it's Juwan James, but this game takes all sorts. Soft can be a positive too

Kittle isnít a rookie... you mean hockenson
    Last edited by arapaho; 11-28-2019 at 08:06 AM.

Fant is on pace to have slightly better stats than Kittle (5th round pick) had in his rookie season - 44 receptions vs 43 and 544yds vs 515yds receiving, 3tds vs 2tds... although Kittle did quite a bit better running the ball in his rookie season even though he did not run the ball. Fant has 3 runs for -12yds so far this season.

So far this season for rookies, Fant's stats - receptions and yards - are better than all 1st round rookies full seasons since 2013 except for Evan Engram and David Njoku but Fant's projected stats would be better than Njoku too (Fant needs just 3 catches and 9yds to have a better season than Njoku) ... The only 1st round TE that had a better rookie season in stats is Evan Engram. There are more taken after the 1st round that maybe had a better rookie year (Hunter Henry, Gronk).
    Now Fant's blocking is not very good at this time but I don't think the Broncos drafted him for his blocking ability. I have seen Hockenson play some, not much, and his blocking hasn't been much better and he WAS supposed to be the complete TE, his stats are similar to Fant's but Fant does have the edge over the top 10 pick in the 2019 draft (8th).

Fant will be solid in 2-3 years. Its not like this team can win now so whats the rush?