Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Noah Can't Play

Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    That's fair

...but in the meantime, it's also fair to point out the significant shortcomings that fail the eye test. I sincerely hope he shows some kind of effort and desire and passion. Because till now, it's been lacking. Rookie having a slow start is not surprising but don't let it be because you're scared or because you're not engaged.

On the other side of the same coin you have a guy like Lindsey who came in as a rook and ran like he was as big as Noah. Physical player.

Noah was drafted for his size and speed. USE THEM BOTH

If he just looked like he was trying as hard as he could, I wouldn't bring up lack of production. And like I said production isn't what my point is about.
    We constantly hear “Tight ends need time to develop” as the excuse for Fant. Catching a ball shouldn’t require 2-3 seasons of development. When Shannon Sharpe was asked about Fant he said speed and bad hands aren’t a good combination. The excuses for Fant are similar to what we heard about Bolles during his rookie season. Is it possible for Fant to turn things around, sure. When I think about the players we could have drafted at #10, it makes it even worse.

When it comes to Fant I don't have high expectations. He's a first round pick, he's going to play regardless of current skill level. It's just how it is, you invest in playing time now so that in the next few seasons he'll eclipse what Heuerman or Fumagalli can do now.

However there are signs showing up now that he wasn't worth a first round pick, such as avoiding contact and dropping balls. We would have been better off trading for another tight end in the offseason with a mid round pick for this season.

I think the main point of all of this is development is part of the overall game. Some rooks come in a light it up right away. Others struggle for a while. All of them, however, develop over time and gain valuable game experience. It’s fair to say Fant is struggling a bit, but he’s gaining that valuable game experience. How much he develops is an entirely different thing. Only time will tell.

The thing is, the idea of development through game time experience should be applied to all young players and positions IMO. Fant is looking like he isn’t quite “ready”, but he’s still getting the chance to work it out - mostly due to his draft status. There’s a chance he will start to show flashes of development. I sort of wish we could apply the same concept to other key positions as well.

To keep the thread on task, I personally think Fant isn’t quite ready, but I’m not giving up on him yet. He has a chance and I enjoy watching young players develop.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    We constantly hear “Tight ends need time to develop” as the excuse for Fant. Catching a ball shouldn’t require 2-3 seasons of development. When Shannon Sharpe was asked about Fant he said speed and bad hands aren’t a good combination. The excuses for Fant are similar to what we heard about Bolles during his rookie season. Is it possible for Fant to turn things around, sure. When I think about the players we could have drafted at #10, it makes it even worse.
    Sharpe had 7 catches his rookie year, 22 his second, and he had Elway at QB. Both Jerry Rice and Tony Gonzales struggled in their first year and they are the two leading pass catchers of all time. Fant may not work out, but it's way too early to judge a TE. They have to be in both the receivers room and the OL room, two totally different skills.

Quote Originally Posted by lvbronx View Post
    Sharpe had 7 catches his rookie year, 22 his second, and he had Elway at QB. Both Jerry Rice and Tony Gonzales struggled in their first year and they are the two leading pass catchers of all time. Fant may not work out, but it's way too early to judge a TE. They have to be in both the receivers room and the OL room, two totally different skills.
    It's only too early to judge if he's a bust. He can and will be judged each and every week. He's a ginormous 1st round pick and certain things are expected -- not icing on the cake. At his size, I expect him to be physical and run people over. I expect him to protect the ball when it's in the air if he can't catch it. I expect a guy who LOVES to play football and shows passion on the field. And if I don't see it, you'll be hearing from me and others
    Red 98

The early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese

Quote Originally Posted by lvbronx View Post
    Sharpe was a 7th round pick and only started 2 games. Although Gonzalez was a 1st round pick he didn’t start in any games his first season. The fact is that Fant has struggled with drops, blocking, penalties and a turnover at a critical point. Add in the boneheaded self-inflicted injury and he’s had a horrible start. Only time will tell whether or not he makes it. Given Elway’s history with 1st round picks the odds are not in Fant’s favor.

In the off season Elway was asked about rebuilding after a 6-10 season. He said the Broncos were “two to three players” from being back in the playoffs. He made the trade for Flacco and signed James, Jackson and Callahan. If we accept TEs take 2-3 years to develop, why would Elway use a 1st round pick on one? If you’re in a “win now” mode as Elway professes, why draft players who can’t help you win now? Just another example of Elway being totally lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Sharpe was a 7th round pick and only started 2 games. Although Gonzalez was a 1st round pick he didn’t start in any games his first season. The fact is that Fant has struggled with drops, blocking, penalties and a turnover at a critical point. Add in the boneheaded self-inflicted injury and he’s had a horrible start. Only time will tell whether or not he makes it. Given Elway’s history with 1st round picks the odds are not in Fant’s favor.
    Since he is on the field today and already had a 17 yard reception I think it’s time people get over the cut removing tape. It obviously wasn’t that big of a deal.

I mainly see lack of confidence. IN EVERYTHING.

One thing all great tight ends in this league share is confidence. If you're a big, fast mismatch you have to understand how scary you are to a defense and go in there with intentions on making it hell for the other team to limit you.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Since he is on the field today and already had a 17 yard reception I think it’s time people get over the cut removing tape. It obviously wasn’t that big of a deal.
    When your HC says it was the most bizarre injury he’s heard of, it’s a big deal. It’s an indication of why he struggles on the field.

Noah Fant shoeing why Elway took him at #20
    Glad team didn’t give up on him

Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
    Ah jeez....

He can't catch.

Poor blocker.

He can't even remove TAPE from his ankle properly.
    How’d you like that play?
    ; )

75 yard rd catch and run!!!
    Last edited by 58Miller; 11-03-2019 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 58Miller View Post
    Noah Fant shoeing why Elway took him at #20
    Glad team didn’t give up on him
    It’s been a long time since we had a TE who could do that. He has more upside than JT did.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    It’s been a long time since we had a TE who could do that. He has more upside than JT did.
    Yes sir, he’s got a very high ceiling.

As of right now Fant is only 17 yards behind Hockenson