Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Imagine if he decides to open up the playbook now to try and prove a point.

But like others have already stated, the offensive line is still an issue.
    Last edited by Bootleg; 10-28-2019 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    People want to give him grief for not throwing on third down, I get it. But, Flacco couldn't convert 3rd and 4 shortly before what makes you think he can do it on 3rd and 5? Running the ball and trusting a defense that was dominant was not a bad call in my opinion. In reality if they do let him throw the odds are actually greater that he gets sacked and the possibility of him turning it over
    Sorry, I have to disagree. This was a horrible call and showed no guts. The O line has been bad and so has Joe. But we're talking about 3rd and 5. We had a couple of 3rd down plays earlier that were flat out dropped (Freeman). Earlier this season, Fangio said we were struggling to get wins and he went for 2 instead instead of kicking the FG. We're in even worse shape now and had a chance to ice the game or possibly not get the first and stop the clock. It lacks any guts to me and reminds me of John Fox.

Quote Originally Posted by champ&dreallday View Post
    Sorry, I have to disagree. This was a horrible call and showed no guts. The O line has been bad and so has Joe. But we're talking about 3rd and 5. We had a couple of 3rd down plays earlier that were flat out dropped (Freeman). Earlier this season, Fangio said we were struggling to get wins and he went for 2 instead instead of kicking the FG. We're in even worse shape now and had a chance to ice the game or possibly not get the first and stop the clock. It lacks any guts to me and reminds me of John Fox.
    I get it and I can't really argue the call. I can make excuses sure but where was the offense all game? Why do we have to put the blame on scangarella for one call? first half the offense had a 17-play drive and a 13-play drive that both ended up in field goals is that scangarellos fault?

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    I get it and I can't really argue the call. I can make excuses sure but where was the offense all game? Why do we have to put the blame on scangarella for one call? first half the offense had a 17-play drive and a 13-play drive that both ended up in field goals is that scangarellos fault?
    I can't say it is. I see why they made the call they did. A play caller can't trust his QB if his QB has been failing to produce all game. Taking the ball out of Flacco's hands was the smart call, even though it wasn't the aggressive call.

Sorry I have to disagree. We have a qb who has more turnovers than touch downs and a left tackle who once again was getting beat a good part of the game. The Defense was the strength at that time. The offense was and has been the weak link. Pinning them Deep and making them use the TO was the right call imo. And it worked except that Von didn't make the play when he had it. If he makes the tackle we win. More often then not, bad things have happened when we have counted on the passing game in the clutch this year.
    My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Flacco wants the playcalling to be aggressive? Why? So he can immediately throw it to his RB instead of going through his reads? Flacco dumps the ball off before any one can get into a deeper route and when he does wait (which is rarely on 3rd down) he is completely oblivious to whatís going on around him in the pocket.

The playcalling is a microcosm of what the offense is. 2 tackles that canít hold their blocks long enough and a QB that is afraid to wait for deep routes to develop on any 3rd down play so he constantly throws short praying for YAC. Flacco talked about not enough plays for Sutton, that makes it sound like he has no input on the play. He should be able to check out of plays, if he canít he should still be able to make a pre-snap read and get the ball to an open WR. He could just look for Sutton if he has no faith in anyone else, which is what that sounds like to me.

Quote Originally Posted by FL BRONCO View Post
    Sorry I have to disagree. We have a qb who has more turnovers than touch downs and a left tackle who once again was getting beat a good part of the game. The Defense was the strength at that time. The offense was and has been the weak link. Pinning them Deep and making them use the TO was the right call imo. And it worked except that Von didn't make the play when he had it. If he makes the tackle we win. More often then not, bad things have happened when we have counted on the passing game in the clutch this year.
    Weíve lost two games prior to this with the defense just falling apart and giving up yardage and penalties that led to a FG winning kick by the other team. Thereís no way you take that chance again, third time isnít the charm. Iíve never been a Flacco fan but you have to pass the ball in that situation. It shows a lack of heart to the team, not just confidence IMO. Not to mention we gave up a FG at halftime in the same manner, letting them get in FG with about minute left in the half.

Weíve lost two games prior to this with the defense just falling apart and giving up yardage and penalties that led to a FG winning kick by the other team. Thereís no way you take that chance again, third time isnít the charm. Iíve never been a Flacco fan but you have to pass the ball in that situation. It shows a lack of heart to the team, not just confidence IMO. Not to mention we gave up a FG at halftime in the same manner, letting them get in FG with about minute left in the half.
    We were 2/12 on 3rd down. They're not gonna call a pass when they have zero confidence in the QB.

Still can't put it on Scangarello, offense is ranked near the bottom of the league in points per game for a reason and that reason is Flacco.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    Bruh Iíve been saying this all season about the zone blocking scheme vs the power blocking scheme however Iím just accused of hating the brass but Iím glad somebody else is finally saying the same.

I donít know what Elway was thinking but he shouldíve went with who Munchak wouldíve suggest and ran a more power blocking style since we signed Munchak first.
    Munchak is known as one of the best / the best OL coach in the league, but you have to think of the system and coaches as a whole. The quality of the OL coaches has not been an issue in Denver. Sean Kugler is also very respected and Chris Strausser is now coaching the Colts OL. I think Elway panicked with Bolles' bust status and tried Munchak as the ultimate move to save Bolles.

However, having an experienced and proven OC like Kubiak cannot be compared to the growing pains of an inexperienced OC like Scangarello. Kubiak + Dennison would have been on the same page and the offense would be playing better overall with a running game that matches the passing game. While Tom Nalen was working on the radio, he did not say Rick Dennison was a good OL coach, he said Dennison is a "brilliant" OL coach.

As an OC, yeah, I would not want that, but as a position coach working with Kubiak, Dennison is pretty good. I don't know if Scangarello has decided to change the running game concepts on his own but, after all the effort and time he spent learning Kyle Shanahan's system, it would not make any sense for him to run something so different.

If Scangarello is fired after the season, guess what, new playbook for everyone on offense, including Drew Lock, and we restart the cycle of lack of continuity for a young QB.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

I have mixed feelings on Scangaroo

I really do want him to succeed. I even like him in general.

We ALL knew there would be growing pains in year 1. And to add to that challenge you have an offense that is subpar across the board minus a guy here or there. And like Peerless pointed out, the combination makes it hard to tell exactly who is responsible for any single failure. I'm sure he would love to be calling different plays at times but has to take in consideration what kind of risk that goes along with that choice .......... This team has fallen into a nasty cycle of trying not to make any errors and not just playing football.......... which causes un-natural play ....... =errors. Lack of talent also has impact, sure. (I happen to think the officiating story that continues to get worse........also plays into the psychology) We're getting screwed on calls, and then trying not to get flagged .......so you're not playing all out. That's a different topic though.

But, I heard on 104.3 one of the hosts say that an unnamed coach on the staff said Scangaroo doesn't know what he's doing.

If for a moment Elway feels the same, maybe that's why he's reluctant to throw Lock in there.
    Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

Quote Originally Posted by Bootleg View Post
    Imagine if he decides to open up the playbook now to try and prove a point.

But like others have already stated, the offensive line is still an issue.
    Quarterback is still an issue though.

Brandon Allen hasnít taken a meaningful snap in the NFL however his preseason play looks like that of Case Keenum.

They are apparently running plays in the game that theyíve never practiced.

San Fran had the same talent level on O. Suffered until this season. Now look at them. We are building towards that.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    I have mixed feelings on Scangaroo

I really do want him to succeed. I even like him in general.

We ALL knew there would be growing pains in year 1. And to add to that challenge you have an offense that is subpar across the board minus a guy here or there. And like Peerless pointed out, the combination makes it hard to tell exactly who is responsible for any single failure. I'm sure he would love to be calling different plays at times but has to take in consideration what kind of risk that goes along with that choice .......... This team has fallen into a nasty cycle of trying not to make any errors and not just playing football.......... which causes un-natural play ....... =errors. Lack of talent also has impact, sure. (I happen to think the officiating story that continues to get worse........also plays into the psychology) We're getting screwed on calls, and then trying not to get flagged .......so you're not playing all out. That's a different topic though.

But, I heard on 104.3 one of the hosts say that an unnamed coach on the staff said Scangaroo doesn't know what he's doing.

If for a moment Elway feels the same, maybe that's why he's reluctant to throw Lock in there.
    I heard similar rumors and grumblings about Kyle Shanahan when he was offensive coordinator under his father in Washington and then in Cleveland.

I'm not saying I expect us to have a San Francisco turnaround. But for one, this offense takes time to implement and to really see the results. And two, he's a first time offensive coordinator and play caller in the NFL - there's going to be growing pains, just like there's been growing pains with Fangio.