Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
I thought Scangerello called a great game even if I do think it was about as easy a game to call as you could ask for. Clevelandís defense was way too aggressive and played undisciplined ball out there. Playaction resulted in LBs biting down a lot harder than you typically see in the NFL likely due to a young QB making his first start and anticipating a run heavy game plan. But the counter that Lindsay took to the house was the prime example, they bit on the counter incredibly hard and that was surprising considering itís been one of our better run plays all season long.

Which brings me to my next point, Scangerello is calling plays basically one handed. Someone mentioned it already but Munchak is more of a power blocking scheme type of coach whereas Scangerello comes from the zone tree. Iím seeing very few zone runs and it bleeds into the passing game because the bootleg is a staple in the passing offense and if you canít get that DE to bite on the run fake itís dead in the water. That bootleg play is the big shot play in this offense, thatís where you can hit a deep crossing route or a deep post or the TE runs past the LB and breaks loose for a big gain, or if everythingís covered the QB can take off and get a good gain on the ground.

Ultimately I think this could make Scangerello more effective in the long run as being able to execute both concepts seamlessly make it tough on defenses. Most teams run both blocking schemes anyway but few run the stretch play as often as the Shannahan tree. And in Denver in mile high itís a huge advantage to get the front 7 going sideline to sideline. If you can wear them out with power, traps, and counters, itíll be harder for them to get to the edge on stretches and sweeps. But the outside stretch run is the key to this offense.
The SB XXXII & XXXIII teams were 100% Alex Gibbs' Zone Series rushing attack. Against the Packers, Kubiak tried to put in Trap Pass, but it led to a pick. Schlereth told him that before calling Trap Pass, you need to run Trap.

As you say, zone challenges the conditioning of a defensive front while angle blocking challenges its toughness especially at POA.

Dave Magazu used both zone and angle about 50/50, and was especially good with influence which can only be used if you have a lot of angle blocking with pullers.

Counter is set up by plays like Off Tackle, G Power and Sweep. The best Counter Series was run by Joe Gibbs: Counter Gap; Counter Ace; Counter Deuce; Counter Trey. He said he stole it from Tom Osborne. The Zone Series equivalent of Counter is Zone Stretch Cutback.

The best Trap Series was run by the Steelers under Chuck Noll. The best Sweep Series was Lombardi's which used zone blocks which he also called area or do-dad blocks.

Dalton (aka "Route 66") has become quite the pulling Guard. The Counter on which Lindsey scored looked like Counter Ace. If they decided to give Janovich some rushing opportunities, they could put in Guard Hole Trap, but that play usually takes a lot of reps in practice to choreograph all the steps that take place quickly in a tight space.

The problem with drafting O-Linemen to run both zone and angle is that most FBS schools run Spread Option which is all zone, but not exactly the same as Gibbs' Zone Series. IMO it's easier to teach an angle blocker zone than the other way around. Angle has a bunch of different blocks, way more than zone. I'm very glad Mike Munchak and Chris Kuper are the O-Line coaches.