Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    You know what I loved seeing and wondered why Vet Joe Flacco never did.................. hard counts

I couldn't believe we saw hard counts from the 1st time starter Brandon Allen. Kudos to the Offense and Scangarello for implementing that. It's a STRONG tool to keep the defense honest.

Why didn't vet Flacco use it? He could have really used it in KC game
    Yes and Bolles didn't jump before their DL did it was at worst simultaneously. Look that was the first time we let our 6'4" WR try a catchable jump ball TD catch all year. Fant made a great individual play but the ball was perfectly to him in stride. At least 4 of Allen's incomplete passes were throw away to avoid sacks. I don't think you could ask for more from him. Balls get tipped at the LOS on every QB. Nothing Allen threw was egregious. If this was Drew Lock I would have been just as happy with his effort.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    This is when we will find out if he's a 4th year "unknown" for a reason, or a guy that is starting to find his game. I hate to be a downer, but Cleveland has gone from being a potential playoff team (at least, it was in my opinion) to a shell of itself. They are ranked no better than us, which says a lot, given Mayfield was supposed to be a quality QB, and they built up the team on both sides. Is this a coaching/management issue yet again??

And Fant's TD was more terrible tackling than anything else....though he did his best to make it happen. And give credit to Sutton for that incredible TD catch! Then again, good players have to make good plays.
    This is true, but in years past our receiver would have fallen down with that contact. At least Fant kept his feet and kept the play alive.

Quote Originally Posted by XterraRob View Post
    We won't know unless we take the chance to develop him, that's how it'll be for any new QB we try. We will also need to make sure we keep a stable offense for atleast 3 years to allow all of the players to find their chemistry with one another.

Crawl before we can walk, patience is the key. The days of "Win Now" need to end.
    I'm not disagreeing with most of what you said. But fans & media were ready to anoint Trevor Siemian after the Dallas game in 2017 and Mike Shanahan compared Brian Griese to Joe Montana circa 1999-ish.

James Merilatt said it best in that coaches who run this offense fall in love with the "whiteboard/chalkboard" quarterback, meaning the quarterback who studies and can pick up the offense mentally, versus the quarterback who is more raw but also more athletic and can be more prolific for you in the long-run. My stance on Brandon Allen is it was a nice win, he played well, but I still don't think he's the future. Now, if he goes out versus Minnesota and Buffalo, and completely lights it up AND we win, I might have a different opinion. But for me nothing has changed long-term. Allen will be the starter until December 1st, at which time the reins should be handed over to Drew Lock.

I will say, however, that it's pretty clear that if you have the right quarterback running this offense, it's efficient. Flacco clearly was the wrong guy.

Quote Originally Posted by darryn16 View Post
    This is true, but in years past our receiver would have fallen down with that contact. At least Fant kept his feet and kept the play alive.
    I understand. I did concur that Fant made the effort. My comment was more based on, this was a case of a good play by a TE that was poorly handled by a Cleveland team that seems doomed, all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo0730 View Post
    I'm not disagreeing with most of what you said. But fans & media were ready to anoint Trevor Siemian after the Dallas game in 2017 and Mike Shanahan compared Brian Griese to Joe Montana circa 1999-ish.

James Merilatt said it best in that coaches who run this offense fall in love with the "whiteboard/chalkboard" quarterback, meaning the quarterback who studies and can pick up the offense mentally, versus the quarterback who is more raw but also more athletic and can be more prolific for you in the long-run. My stance on Brandon Allen is it was a nice win, he played well, but I still don't think he's the future. Now, if he goes out versus Minnesota and Buffalo, and completely lights it up AND we win, I might have a different opinion. But for me nothing has changed long-term. Allen will be the starter until December 1st, at which time the reins should be handed over to Drew Lock.

I will say, however, that it's pretty clear that if you have the right quarterback running this offense, it's efficient. Flacco clearly was the wrong guy.
    Ditto!

Quote Originally Posted by WYBRONCO View Post
    Yes and Bolles didn't jump before their DL did it was at worst simultaneously. Look that was the first time we let our 6'4" WR try a catchable jump ball TD catch all year. Fant made a great individual play but the ball was perfectly to him in stride. At least 4 of Allen's incomplete passes were throw away to avoid sacks. I don't think you could ask for more from him. Balls get tipped at the LOS on every QB. Nothing Allen threw was egregious. If this was Drew Lock I would have been just as happy with his effort.
    Couldn't agree any more with everything you said here
    Red 98

The early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese

Quote Originally Posted by darryn16 View Post
    Thatís a tough tackle for any DB. Fant was almost at full speed and he lowered his shoulder. The dude is 255 pounds and runs like a gazelle. Thatís not the last time weíll see him truck somebody. Guys will just start going for his knees like they did with Gronk.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Thatís a tough tackle for any DB. Fant was almost at full speed and he lowered his shoulder. The dude is 255 pounds and runs like a gazelle. Thatís not the last time weíll see him truck somebody. Guys will just start going for his knees like they did with Gronk.

Let's hope that Fant realizes this or at least the coaches do.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Vontaze Burfict comes to mind, good thing heís suspended

As for Fant, he needs to slow his roll a bit. One big play with poor tackling doesn't overshadow ALL his mistakes this year. It gave us a glimpse of what he can do, but we need to see more. And please hold the ball with two hands running down the sidelines before you fumble it.......

there's a lot to be said about the lift a QB gives his team, the energy from Brandon was 180 degrees turned around from what Flacco was giving them.

I remember seeing Cutler sulk that way and it would bring the whole team down.
    [

Not sure if it was by design or just coincidence but I liked that Fumagalli and Booker got a look in the passing game as these are the guys heís likely been practicing with and has chemistry with. Hopefully we at least see more of Fumagalli in the coming weeks as Allen continues to try and build chemistry with the other starters.

Allen exceeded my expectations, for sure. Solid performance for a first time starter and he improved as the game went on. It was really a fun game to watch because there was a new found energy on the field. Talk about adding a much needed spark.

Also, Scangs definitely called a different game than we've seen so far. Not just in the passing game, but there were noticeable changes in the running game as well. Maybe Flacco was simply a bad fit for him.

I think the only thing I really take from this game and Allen's performance is that, regardless of what happened in 2014 under Gary Kubiak, Joe Flacco was and is just a terrible fit for this offense. I mean, it was 5 seasons ago so maybe Flacco's physical capabilities have just regressed that much in that span of time. But regardless if this is the offense they plan on running moving forward then Flacco shouldn't be the quarterback for this team.

I still stand by what I said before, though. The worst case scenario would be Allen plays just well enough to be 2-1 after Buffalo (with something like 5 touchdowns and 2 picks) and then the Broncos decide they're going to have an open competition at quarterback during the 2020 training camp. If he plays lights out and we're 3-0, winning on the road against Minnesota and Buffalo, then it's a different conversation. But my feeling is the plan should still be to start Lock against Los Angeles on December 1st and let him play out all of December as the starter, again barring some crazy win streak that I just don't see as being realistic. I'm really happy for Allen. I love the story. But I mean it was a home win against a bad Cleveland team and he played...okay. Better than you'd expect a perennial backup who had never played in 4 years in the NFL. But at the end of the day, still just okay. We need to start raising the bar of quarterback play around here, because Patrick Mahomes isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Looking forward to the game with the vikings in 2 weeks. Allen needs to become familiar with the rest of the Offense if we have a chance.

The defense played well enough to stop a top running game and when they execute this with the vikings, they will make it more competitive. Looking forward to this match.