Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by swingarm View Post
    I'm happy about Allen but there's the elephant in the room. If Allen starts the next game and he has a better performance that's good but people have been clamoring about starting Lock to see what he has. Even if we split starts is that enough games to get an idea? I hope to just avoid another QB controversy.
    People have been calling for Lock (I'm one) because Flacco has been so terrible. If Allen plays at a high level like that all or most of the time I'd be more than happy to get behind him. I just want a young QB to take over and be the guy here for a dozen years. I still want Lock to take the field at some point to see what we got there.

Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

I enjoyed watching Allen do his thing out there today. We should all just remember the Browns despite all their talent on that team is only a 2 win team going into this game..... Sandy Clough mentioned after the game -- it was nice he got to play his 1st against THIS team and not Texans or Baltimore or Minnesota etc.

I'm not going to let that keep me from enjoying that win. It was a dramatic exciting game.
    Red 98

The early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese

For his first start in an unusual situation, I thought Allen did very well.

My concern however is if he's just okay end to beat bad teams. I don't want to be doubting what needs to be done with the quarterback position in the off season.

Whatís crazy is Brandon Allen didnít start year 1 (or year 2-4) and had zero first team snaps until this week and was able to play and be effective.

Todayís Game was about HOPE !! Brandon Allen provides that indeed ! Great Win !!

One thing we all seen for sure is that he can RUN for a first down unlike Flacco . Doesn't matter what QB they decide on cause its better than washed up Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo0730 View Post

My concern however is if he's just okay end to beat bad teams. I don't want to be doubting what needs to be done with the quarterback position in the off season.
    We won't know unless we take the chance to develop him, that's how it'll be for any new QB we try. We will also need to make sure we keep a stable offense for atleast 3 years to allow all of the players to find their chemistry with one another.

Crawl before we can walk, patience is the key. The days of "Win Now" need to end.
    I believe.

Allen played hungry. Flacco kind of plays fed. I have to say Flacco did show some determination in a couple late comeback drives earlier in the season, but his lack of mobility just makes it hard on an OL that is already not the best in the world to start with. Mobility at qb could take pressure off the guys up front. Scangarello did a good job today too. He actually got in a nice play calling rhythm a couple times. It was the Browns, But they were trying to win too.
    Red 98

Quote Originally Posted by Murph2432 View Post
    My post game thoughts on just Allen.

Pro:
    - can move around in the pocket to extend plays.
    - bootleg can finally be established and was used well in the gm
    - took what the D gave him and made some nice throws (ex: Fant when double covered on the right side).
    - wasn't afraid to go deep and sometimes threw a 50/50 ball and let our big man( sutton) a chance.
    - didn't turn the ball over
    -loved the loud snap count. Not sure why Flacco never did this at home.

Con:
    -while the stats don't tell the whole story. He was 12/20 193 yards 2tds and more that half the yards were on two plays in the first.
    - threw the ball behind the receiver a few times.

He played a good game for his first ever start and I don't want to take anything away from him but I also dont want to overhype him either. First gm is out of the way. I fully expect him to improve next gm
    Thank you let's keep this in perspective. The browns are terrible. Allen stats were padded by poor tackling that turn a 15 yard play into a 71 yd td pass.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo0730 View Post

I agree.

Also, I don't think Allen did anything that Lock couldn't have done. He had several near-picks and his two TDs could both be classified as "lucky" more than anything else. The QB position is far from settled.

So hereís my take on the QB situation. Elway is a complete moron and will let Allen keep the seat warm until Joe is healthy. Joe will be the starter heading into next season with Allen as the backup, meanwhile our 2nd round draft pick will fade into oblivion. No matter what happened yesterday, Lock should be taken off IR and given 2 weeks to get ready for the Vikings after the bye week. But he wonít, Elway is a complete moron.

Who knows what happens after this, but at least for a game it felt good watching a QB who wasnít Flaccoziameenum. These last 3 years, rolling out QBs we know suck with no hope, it was kinda like watching these games in a blur. Itís nice to have hope again.

Allen will have to keep evolving and improving his game, as you can be sure that the Vikings are going to be watching the game tape closely. He'll have a huge test waiting for him after the bye, let's hope he spends it well preparing for the Minnesota defense

You know what I loved seeing and wondered why Vet Joe Flacco never did.................. hard counts

I couldn't believe we saw hard counts from the 1st time starter Brandon Allen. Kudos to the Offense and Scangarello for implementing that. It's a STRONG tool to keep the defense honest.

Why didn't vet Flacco use it? He could have really used it in KC game
    Red 98

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    Allen will have to keep evolving and improving his game, as you can be sure that the Vikings are going to be watching the game tape closely. He'll have a huge test waiting for him after the bye, let's hope he spends it well preparing for the Minnesota defense
    This is when we will find out if he's a 4th year "unknown" for a reason, or a guy that is starting to find his game. I hate to be a downer, but Cleveland has gone from being a potential playoff team (at least, it was in my opinion) to a shell of itself. They are ranked no better than us, which says a lot, given Mayfield was supposed to be a quality QB, and they built up the team on both sides. Is this a coaching/management issue yet again??

And Fant's TD was more terrible tackling than anything else....though he did his best to make it happen. And give credit to Sutton for that incredible TD catch! Then again, good players have to make good plays.