Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Drew Lock + 2020 draft + Playtime in 19

FWIW I don't see Drew Lock playing in 19.

Here is why:

1) Elway is business first. If he rolls out lock and he is garbage then teams will have us pegged for a QB, if he plays and is good, we lose trade leverage for teams below us in the draft.
    2) Our line is putrid, I doubt he risks damaging the future behind this and making him gun shy.
    3) We are still in the first year of a new offense and the season is lost. Why risk it?
    Going on record saying I love our off season coaching hires.

At the end of the day, when you weigh up the risk versus reward, it makes sense to play the young guy, and it's not even a question for me. I have asked the question a million times to those who oppose playing Lock "too early", with the question, when has the wait and develop on the sideline approach worked ? Mahomes and Rodgers are generational talents who I tend to believe succeed regardless, and outside of them 2 guys, you can't provide many more examples in what, the last 15 years ? Waiting for a perfect sequence of events to play a young quarterback isn't going to happen, especially when you consider the fact Elway has proven he cannot fix an offensive line to save himself. So, if we plan on waiting for that, Lock might never see the field.

Not playing Lock this year makes zero sense, no matter how you slice it. Our line isnít any worse than Arizonaís, or the Giants, and their rookie QBs are flourishing. Start Allen this week, and unless he absolutely lights it up, get Lock ready to start right after the bye.

We need to see what we have in lock cause this class is very strong at qb in 2020. We need to see if we need a qb or lock can be the guy moving forward

The team will eventually be forced to play Lock, even if only to fill seats.

Also..The 2020 QB class isn't very good, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    At the end of the day, when you weigh up the risk versus reward, it makes sense to play the young guy, and it's not even a question for me. I have asked the question a million times to those who oppose playing Lock "too early", with the question, when has the wait and develop on the sideline approach worked ? Mahomes and Rodgers are generational talents who I tend to believe succeed regardless, and outside of them 2 guys, you can't provide many more examples in what, the last 15 years ? Waiting for a perfect sequence of events to play a young quarterback isn't going to happen, especially when you consider the fact Elway has proven he cannot fix an offensive line to save himself. So, if we plan on waiting for that, Lock might never see the field.
    Not to mention pat had alex Smith in front of him playing at mvp level and rodgers had a freaking hall of Famer in front of him.

In today's nfl you DON'T take a qb in the high second round for him to sit 2 or 3 years. Elway made a mistake drafting lock. If he didn't he would let him practice. Who do you go from being a supposedly top 10 pick to being years away?

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    The team will eventually be forced to play Lock, even if only to fill seats.

Also..The 2020 QB class isn't very good, imo.
    I disagree about next year qb class. I'm not fond of this years class.

Quote Originally Posted by Ear2dastreets View Post
    I disagree about next year qb class. I'm not fond of this years class.
    I think we're talking about not liking the same class, 2020 is the one that happens in 5 months

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    I think we're talking about not liking the same class, 2020 is the one that happens in 5 months
    Yikes my bad yes. I dont like this years class. But 2021 I like a lot.

Lock will play this year and I think he gets his start at Minnesota. They will use the bye week to give him extra time to prepare, imo

At least that's my hope because I'm going to be at the game LOL

Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

Quote Originally Posted by Gsam View Post
    FWIW I don't see Drew Lock playing in 19.

Here is why:

1) Elway is business first. If he rolls out lock and he is garbage then teams will have us pegged for a QB, if he plays and is good, we lose trade leverage for teams below us in the draft.
    2) Our line is putrid, I doubt he risks damaging the future behind this and making him gun shy.
    3) We are still in the first year of a new offense and the season is lost. Why risk it?
    I doubt other teams pay attention to Elway as heís proven himself inept with drafting. As far as Lock goes it makes no sense to not play him in 2019. The line hasnít improved in 5-6 years and there will never be a perfect line. How would anyone define what that looks like? A decent quarterback with mobility would be able to play behind an imperfect line. If Lockís confidence is damaged from being under pressure then itís better to know now and move forward.

Can we pull the Elway bandaid off already?

When Lock is ready, they should play him. He's a 2nd rounder so its not like were throwing a top 10 pick into a pocket less offense. He needs to earn his way like the rest of the players and it won't be easy with the tackles we have starting. If he doesn't play well, then we'll be in position to go get a top 10 QB in the draft. It looks like we'll have to drop everything and fix the O-line and QB position. Herbert looks like the typical JE QB, might as well keep swinging if Lock can't cut the mustard.

If Lock's healthy, and can run the offense, he needs to get some games under his belt. I'm eager to see what Allen has to offer. But if they keep losing games and Allen is just looking mediocre, they absolutely should play Lock.

Only way Lock doesn't play this year is if Allen turns out to be very good, and the odds of that are not particularly high. Lock will more than likely be starting the last 2-3 games at least, if not more.