Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Bench Lock!

Quote Originally Posted by GMTD View Post
    We can say what we like (that's the purpose of a discussion board!) However, if Allen plays lights out for the rest of the season (he probably won't but you never know) it would be hard to subsequently bench him for Lock.

In my view in that premise we simply say that Lock is a project QB who will start when he is ready but that there is no need to change a winning team.
    You called us a winning team

Lock should play some meaningful football soon, there is no reason not too.

What I saw from Lock in the preseason was a QB who progressed each week. I saw a QB who was every bit as good as Josh Allen, Kyler Murray, Kyle Allen, and they all are succeeding currently.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    The thing with Lock is, in a close game like yesterday, his aggressive nature could have hurt us in some of those situations. Lock does lack a bit of awareness that Allen looked like he has, especially in terms of pocket presence, understanding when to take a sack, when to take your shots, etc. Not saying Allen is better than Lock, I just think he is a safer player who is a little more polished in his mental game, which makes sens considering Lock is a first year player compared to Allen being a fourth ? I don't know if we win with Lock yesterday as I think he probably has a turnover or 2, but I also don't see Allen being able to do anything that Lock couldn't, if you know what I mean.
    I'm not sure the game plan would allow him to throw the ball that much anyway. Allen only through the ball 20 times, I don't think Lock being in there would change much.

Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

I really like what we saw yesterday from Allen. And I'm eager to see him play more games.

I'm a Mizzou alum, and I'm also eager to see what Lock can bring to the table in the NFL. I watched every game he played in college. He has a very strong, very accurate arm, and throws a pretty nice deep ball.

He hasn't had a chance yet to show what he can do. A couple of quarters in a couple of preseason games isn't nearly enough. Before he was injured he didn't look bad by any means, and despite my lack of the faith in the Broncos FO, they're in no way dumb enough to throw him out on the street after just that little play time.

Now, if his thumb injury is serious enough that his throwing strength and/or accuracy is permanently impacted and he just can't throw like he used to, then that's a different discussion altogether. I've heard nothing like that though. If he's back to 100%, and has no lasting affects from the injury, he'll be well above average when it comes to making every throw on the field.

Whether he'll be able to process what he's sees before and during plays, and is able to translate all that into success in the NFL? Who knows. A lot of QB's have been high draft picks over the years, and just didn't have the ability to do it in the NFL. I'm hoping he'll be able to.

I like Allen but it's one game and I don't want to bench Lock without ever having seen him play in a real game or two, seems premature.

ok...Allen has studied the game for four years....and he finally got his first start. No wonder he looked calm , cool and prepared..This is why I felt Lock needed to sit. He needs to develop the foot work and mental aspect of being a professional QB1. However....if he starts for the Buffalo game, I would be ecstatic. I'll be there !!! :-) Go Bronco's !!!

Wow....what a stupid thread.
    http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...amp69/asdf.jpg
    And yes it is a scheme problem.
    Adopted player Lindsey

This thread is a little bit dramatic, and Lock will get playing this time this season. I love the story with Allen, and I was more excited after yesterdays win than I have been in a long time, but Allen isn't going to be the long-term starter here, he just isn't. I assume Fangio will stick with Allen after the win, you can't not, but I would imagine he will struggle and we will lose convincingly to the Vikings, and the Bills game won't be much better in my opinion, and Lock will be turned to by the first week of December.

I will say though, for those who were concerned about turning it over to a young quarterback, I think with the way this team is built, terrible offensive line, and the way Scrangerello likes to play offense, having an athletic inexperienced player, is better than having an immobile Joe Flacco, and I think we seen that against the Browns. I hope I am wrong about Allen and Lock, and I hope Allen just emerges as our Tony Romo, but I don't see that happening, and I see Lock playing at least 3 games this season down the stretch.
    The thing with Lock is, in a close game like yesterday, his aggressive nature could have hurt us in some of those situations. Lock does lack a bit of awareness that Allen looked like he has, especially in terms of pocket presence, understanding when to take a sack, when to take your shots, etc. Not saying Allen is better than Lock, I just think he is a safer player who is a little more polished in his mental game, which makes sens considering Lock is a first year player compared to Allen being a fourth ? I don't know if we win with Lock yesterday as I think he probably has a turnover or 2, but I also don't see Allen being able to do anything that Lock couldn't, if you know what I mean.
    When the Broncos signed Allen off waivers I went back and watched some of his college and preseason games. His play at Arkansas is somewhat similar to Lock at Missouri, as far as improving each year. Lock has more arm talent, but Allen came into the league with enough arm talent to make every throw. He was effective running bootlegs and rollouts.

Under pressure he had a tendency to move eyes down vs looking for receivers. He would also stare down receivers giving defenders more chances to make plays. His release is quick enough and we saw that yesterday - he avoided a few sacks by getting rid of the ball. Bolles whiffed his block on the throw to Fant for the 75 yard touchdown - on that play you can almost guarantee Flacco would have been sacked.

Allen reminds me of Jared Stidham, Trevor Siemian and maybe Chad Kelly, although Chadís arm talent is probably better. Allen has four years in the league, even though his first start was yesterday heís gained experience in camps and preseason action.

Before the game I said he would probably play better than most fans expected. I think he could have some long term potential as a quality backup. If he was overlooked and could develop into a long term starter then heís a gift from the football gods.

Realistically, not another QB battle. If the past teach's us anything, the front office will give a high draft pick opportunities to strut his stuff.

They do not want to show that yet another pick is a bust, Lock will be back, and we all will wear those rose colored glasses once again.

Quote Originally Posted by skeeter01 View Post
    ok...Allen has studied the game for four years....and he finally got his first start. No wonder he looked calm , cool and prepared..This is why I felt Lock needed to sit. He needs to develop the foot work and mental aspect of being a professional QB1. However....if he starts for the Buffalo game, I would be ecstatic. I'll be there !!! :-) Go Bronco's !!!
    I feel the same about the Minnesota game, cause I'll be at that one LOL

Drew Lock should sit until he earns a shot. Allen is the starter and after yesterday he's earned the role.

Lock should not be handed QB1 just because of where he was drafted. He hasn't practiced at all this season. Unless Allen melts down, Lock should not be starting any games this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon30 View Post
    Drew Lock should sit until he earns a shot. Allen is the starter and after yesterday he's earned the role.

Lock should not be handed QB1 just because of where he was drafted. He hasn't practiced at all this season. Unless Allen melts down, Lock should not be starting any games this season.
    They said the same for our #72 the last few years, and yet he is still with us. One must understand who is running this team !

Lock WILL Play this year...

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon30 View Post

Completely disagree, Lock won't be handed the starting gig if they do play him. It's just simply the matter of seeing what he has to offer. How can we go into the off-season without knowing that?

He needs to be showcased to all other teams as well. If Denver all of a sudden has 2 young men that can play that is a ton of trade power. If they don't play him nobody knows how good he is or isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    13 first downs is nothing to write home about.
    First downs arenít the only statistic that matters.

All 3 touchdowns were on plays that covered over 20 yards but in the stat sheet do not count as first downs.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    First downs arenít the only statistic that matters.

All 3 touchdowns were on plays that covered over 20 yards but in the stat sheet do not count as first downs.
    Average yards per play was the highest since the last game of the 2015 regular season vs Chargers.