Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Bench Lock!

I'm okay with Allen starting but Drew Lock should be suited up, on the sidelines, being the second Stringer above Rypien. He shouldn't be in street clothes just hanging out. He should have his uniform on, his helmet close by, just in case they have to put him in once in awhile, just to take a snap, or to do some mop up. He's going to get soft standing on the sidelines in street clothes. He's going to get used to just hanging around on the sidelines and not getting hit and not playing football, and he could get lazy, hanging around, having a million dollars in the bank.

I think lock should come off IR, if nothing else because he needs to practice.

I don't think we'll take lock off it. It's entirely possible we see rypien start before we see lock start.

It's a little suspect that a number two draft pick would be in street clothes, on the sideline, with a boo boo thumb?

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    I think lock should come off IR, if nothing else because he needs to practice.

I don't think we'll take lock off it. It's entirely possible we see rypien start before we see lock start.
    Sure. Bring him off, have him practice and start him when he's considered ready. IIRC Tim started the last three games of 2010 in order to get a realistic evaluation. Getting at least one regular season start for Drew would more clearly inform off season plans and decisions. Scangarello does well with young QBs. They need to know if the three they have adequately address the position and if they can release Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Sure. Bring him off, have him practice and start him when he's considered ready. IIRC Tim started the last three games of 2010 in order to get a realistic evaluation. Getting at least one regular season start for Drew would more clearly inform off season plans and decisions. Scangarello does well with young QBs. They need to know if the three they have adequately address the position and if they can release Joe.
    Of course they can release Joe. He has nothing left. He has no value as an NFL QB. They need to spend the next few weeks evaluating Allen. If we keep winning, they should stick with Allen. We can't play musical chairs with the QBs and expect any of them to develop.

If Allen really stinks it up, then start Rypien or Lock. But if he keeps the team moving forward, they shouldn't bench him just to get a look at the other guys.
    Last edited by Megalodon30; 11-07-2019 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    I saw Allen do nothing Lock could not.

Allen played well above my expectations, and I'm interested in his prospects as a long term backup, but his best moments were more so great plays by the rest of the team. The TD to Sutton, for example, is a pick 99 times out of 100. Thankfully Sutton is a freak with supreme confidence and went for the grab over Ward.

Lock, in the preseason, looked better than Allen with far worse talent around him. If we're being honest, Allen's game yesterday gives me even more hope for Lock. If Allen was able to produce an average game out of the gate, Lock should look at least that good.
    an average game right outta the block...in his 4th year in the league vrs a rookie that hasn't been able to practice since preseason

im all for playing lock this year...but after he gets a few weeks of practice

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jack View Post
    I'm okay with Allen starting but Drew Lock should be suited up, on the sidelines, being the second Stringer above Rypien. He shouldn't be in street clothes just hanging out. He should have his uniform on, his helmet close by, just in case they have to put him in once in awhile, just to take a snap, or to do some mop up. He's going to get soft standing on the sidelines in street clothes. He's going to get used to just hanging around on the sidelines and not getting hit and not playing football, and he could get lazy, hanging around, having a million dollars in the bank.
    so you wanna suite up three qbs...ok which player in the regular 46 should sit so we can...our swing tackle? nickle back? special teamer?

Quote Originally Posted by arapaho View Post
    an average game right outta the block...in his 4th year in the league vrs a rookie that hasn't been able to practice since preseason

im all for playing lock this year...but after he gets a few weeks of practice
    Hasn't been able to or not allowed to? Dudes been healthy enough to practice for a short while now. They refuse to let him do so.

My worst fear is we will not get a big enough sample size, that Lock plays in two throwaway games and has a Matt Flynn-esque ridiculous pair of games and we end up passing on a QB with the top whatever pick Denver ends up with and then halfway through next season he is looking like trash.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncosIsLife View Post
    Hasn't been able to or not allowed to? Dudes been healthy enough to practice for a short while now. They refuse to let him do so.

My worst fear is we will not get a big enough sample size, that Lock plays in two throwaway games and has a Matt Flynn-esque ridiculous pair of games and we end up passing on a QB with the top whatever pick Denver ends up with and then halfway through next season he is looking like trash.
    He hasnít been able to, even though heís been healthy enough to practice he canít practice until heís in his window to return from IR

Quote Originally Posted by arapaho View Post
    so you wanna suite up three qbs...ok which player in the regular 46 should sit so we can...our swing tackle? nickle back? special teamer?
    Bryce Callahan?

Bryce Callahan?
    I don't think he really exists.

Bryce Callahan?
    Who is that? I've seen no evidence that such a person actually exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    I don't think he really exists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Who is that? I've seen no evidence that such a person actually exists.
    That's why there's a question mark. Pop Quiz: What was the hit song by Question Mark and the Mysterians?

That's why there's a question mark. Pop Quiz: What was the hit song by Question Mark and the Mysterians?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7uC5m-IRns

Great work on the Hammond Organ.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoFanDK View Post
    You are absolutely right that I did not and do not expect Allen to be a major success, and neither do I Lock. The fact is that if a QB is not drafted in the first third of the first round of the draft, chances are in the single digit percentage that they will match even Andy Dalton level.

What Allen has right now that Lock does not is a win in the NFL, and some mode of proof that he could belong. Minchu has been the great story this season but it seems to have run out of steam, and Allen's success likely will. Before Sunday's game the outside projection for Lock should be higher than for Allen, but for the time being the job as starting QB for the Broncos is Allen's job to loose. We are in the same situation as with Siemian and Lynch - Lynch should have bene the better of the two, but he could not perform the job as well.

Lock deserves no favours - he has to win the backup job and if he can take Allen's job. He should not be given it to appease Lock fanboys.

Btw. the worst that could happen for Elway is to play Lock and have him stink up the place. If he goes out and has 5 int games like Haskins then Elway's seat will suddenly become very hot
    Lock hasnít received favors and earned the #2 job. Brandon Allen was only signed because of Lockís injury. Allen started only because of Flaccoís injury. Thatís not to take anything away from Allen. He worked hard and hung around the league for four years before being cut by the Rams. If he improves and continues winning games the Broncos wonít likely play Lock this season. Lock has the higher ceiling regardless of one regular season game with Allen. If Elway and the coaches believe they know enough about Lock without playing him this season, weíll know based on whether or not they draft another quarterback.