Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Bench Lock!

Quote Originally Posted by BroncosIsLife View Post
    Hasn't been able to or not allowed to? Dudes been healthy enough to practice for a short while now. They refuse to let him do so.

My worst fear is we will not get a big enough sample size, that Lock plays in two throwaway games and has a Matt Flynn-esque ridiculous pair of games and we end up passing on a QB with the top whatever pick Denver ends up with and then halfway through next season he is looking like trash.
    he hasn't been able to as of yet, for whatever the reason...and as far as that Fangio stated activating lock last week would be no help because the team doesn't practice this week

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Lock hasn’t received favors and earned the #2 job. Brandon Allen was only signed because of Lock’s injury. Allen started only because of Flacco’s injury. That’s not to take anything away from Allen. He worked hard and hung around the league for four years before being cut by the Rams. If he improves and continues winning games the Broncos won’t likely play Lock this season. Lock has the higher ceiling regardless of one regular season game with Allen. If Elway and the coaches believe they know enough about Lock without playing him this season, we’ll know based on whether or not they draft another quarterback.
    I do think we will see lock this year, I think we will play allen four more games , Vikings, bills, chargers and Texans and depending on how he does maybe the chiefs...this is dependant on allen retaining some resemblance of a nfl qb

and then see lock for KC, Detroit and Oakland,

then in 2020 they will have a camp battle

Quote Originally Posted by arapaho View Post
    I do think we will see lock this year, I think we will play allen four more games , Vikings, bills, chargers and Texans and depending on how he does maybe the chiefs...this is dependant on allen retaining some resemblance of a nfl qb

and then see lock for KC, Detroit and Oakland,

then in 2020 they will have a camp battle
    Seems like a good possibility he’ll play some. Here’s a report on Lock starting the final two games:

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/201...ames-of-season

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Lock hasn’t received favors and earned the #2 job. Brandon Allen was only signed because of Lock’s injury. Allen started only because of Flacco’s injury. That’s not to take anything away from Allen. He worked hard and hung around the league for four years before being cut by the Rams. If he improves and continues winning games the Broncos won’t likely play Lock this season. Lock has the higher ceiling regardless of one regular season game with Allen. If Elway and the coaches believe they know enough about Lock without playing him this season, we’ll know based on whether or not they draft another quarterback.
    It is indeed debatable whether Drew Lock had "won" the #2 job. At the time of his injury it was not clear. Without Lock being available Hogan played himself out of a job and Allen was signed to be the #2 guy. With regards to Lock it seems unusual that a jammed thumb is a three month recovery project, and that might speak to other stuff that we are not privy to.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoFanDK View Post
    It is indeed debatable whether Drew Lock had "won" the #2 job. At the time of his injury it was not clear. Without Lock being available Hogan played himself out of a job and Allen was signed to be the #2 guy. With regards to Lock it seems unusual that a jammed thumb is a three month recovery project, and that might speak to other stuff that we are not privy to.
    It is a absolutely not debatable, unless you're the kind of person who is into debating whether or not 2+2=4. Lock outplayed Hogan from day one of camp, and the game he was injured in saw him come in as number 2. The week of practice leading up to that he also took the number two reps. He was the backup. There is no arguing that and any attempt to do so can only be seen as willful ignorance on your part.

The only thing it speaks to is the front office's hubris, inability to properly assess or manage QBs, and general ineptitude. This is the FO that proudly proclaimed they "got their guy" in Keenum and Joe "in his prime" Flacco. They ignite recent history and thoroughly expected Flacco to be both productive and healthy all year, likely next year as well, thus unnecessarily putting Lock on IR was seen as no big deal in their eyes- Flacco was gonna be great!

The only consistency they've shown the QB position is the ability to make poor decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoFanDK View Post
    No, it’s not debatable. Following the preseason game vs Seattle, Lock was moved to taking all the snaps with the 2s. Through the point of the injury Lock was completing 61% of passes in preseason action. Hogan was completing 51% of passes. He was passed by Lock and only got another chance because of injury. If the Broncos believed Hogan was the backup they would not have cut him. Prior to being cut they gave him a chance to win back the #2 role, not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    It is a absolutely not debatable, unless you're the kind of person who is into debating whether or not 2+2=4. Lock outplayed Hogan from day one of camp, and the game he was injured in saw him come in as number 2. The week of practice leading up to that he also took the number two reps. He was the backup. There is no arguing that and any attempt to do so can only be seen as willful ignorance on your part.

The only thing it speaks to is the front office's hubris, inability to properly assess or manage QBs, and general ineptitude. This is the FO that proudly proclaimed they "got their guy" in Keenum and Joe "in his prime" Flacco. They ignite recent history and thoroughly expected Flacco to be both productive and healthy all year, likely next year as well, thus unnecessarily putting Lock on IR was seen as no big deal in their eyes- Flacco was gonna be great!

The only consistency they've shown the QB position is the ability to make poor decisions.
    No, it's completely debatable, we're having a debate on it right now.

The depth chart is often in flux until week one of the regular season.

You could say he had a clear edge in the competition, but he got injured before the depth chart was finalized. He has also never competed with Allen who is for now starting.

Preseason was months ago. He doesn't just get handed anything based on preseason, he's going to have to come back and prove he deserves it. To do that, Elway is going to have to take him off IR, which I honestly don't see happening.

I kinda think Lock will be off IR, and suited up, after the bye week.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jack View Post
    I kinda think Lock will be off IR, and suited up, after the bye week.
    I dunno, the whole situation has been handled poorly.

There is really zero reason for him to still be in ir, I don't have faith in the teams ability to do the right thing and take him off.

He should have been practicing for weeks now.

Lock not being activated has more to do with the practice schedule of the bye week. I cant wait to watch him

Quote Originally Posted by Orangecrush21 View Post
    Lock not being activated has more to do with the practice schedule of the bye week. I cant wait to watch him
    Not sure if we get that chance, Elway seems to love aging quarterbacks. In fact he loves them so much that he locks them up for life and they don’t even have to honor or out live their contracts.

Case Keenum was paid a crap ton of money but then he was traded however he’s still on Denver’s payroll.

Joe Flacco was paid a crap ton of money on a team friendly deal and John said you know what “we’re going to extend you and count more time against our cap, then we’re going to place you on IR”.

Perhaps next season we’ll over pay the Panthers for Cam who can no longer run but hey as long as John says he’s in his prime, “in John” the loyalist will Trust!

Drew Lock playing a down for the broncos this season? need I say more.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    I dunno, the whole situation has been handled poorly.

There is really zero reason for him to still be in ir, I don't have faith in the teams ability to do the right thing and take him off.

He should have been practicing for weeks now.
    the nightmare scenario is that they keep playing Allen until week 15, play Lock the last two games and go 1-1 with him and finish the season out 6-10 or 7-9. On top of that, decide to skip on a QB on next year's draft and then it turns out neither Allen nor Lock are franchise starters while Burrow, Fromm, Herbert all go and ball out for Tampa Bay, Chicago and Miami.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    the nightmare scenario is that they keep playing Allen until week 15, play Lock the last two games and go 1-1 with him and finish the season out 6-10 or 7-9. On top of that, decide to skip on a QB on next year's draft and then it turns out neither Allen nor Lock are franchise starters while Burrow, Fromm, Herbert all go and ball out for Tampa Bay, Chicago and Miami.
    So. We'll be the front runner for Lawrence at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by skeeter01 View Post
    So. We'll be the front runner for Lawrence at that point.
    Doubt it, because we never embrace the tank. We'll win just enough next year too keep us out of reach to. It's a vicious cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Doubt it, because we never embrace the tank. We'll win just enough next year too keep us out of reach to. It's a vicious cycle.

Yes it is unreal.