Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Bench Lock!

Quote Originally Posted by False Start View Post
    When he comes back from IR, hand him the clip board.
    During preseason, Lock looked to me like a bust. In accurate throws, fast heart rate.

Allen looks like the lesser of all the evils at QB going forward.

Nothin like a win though.
    Jake, you make me tired all over when you talk like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon30 View Post
    Drew Lock should sit until he earns a shot. Allen is the starter and after yesterday he's earned the role.

Lock should not be handed QB1 just because of where he was drafted. He hasn't practiced at all this season. Unless Allen melts down, Lock should not be starting any games this season.
    Earned the role? You mean Allen beat out Flacco and earned a shot at the starting QB? Oh wait! Flacco got injured and Lock was already on the injured list. When Lock is healthy he SHOULD play and probably WILL play. SMH at some of the logic here.

Quote Originally Posted by cirehawk View Post
    Earned the role? You mean Allen beat out Flacco and earned a shot at the starting QB? Oh wait! Flacco got injured and Lock was already on the injured list. When Lock is healthy he SHOULD play and probably WILL play. SMH at some of the logic here.
    What part of "after yesterday," confused you? As long as Allen is executing the offense and the team is winning, QB1 is Allen's. Lock has not practiced at all. Why should he get a shot so long as Allen is performing? If Lock wants to start, he should earn it. It shouldn't just be handed to him. Especially when you consider he has not had a single rep with his teammates in more than 8 weeks.

The starting job belongs to Allen. Until Allen proves he can't handle it, Lock has no business being discussed as the starter.
    Last edited by Megalodon30; 11-04-2019 at 11:07 PM.
    Eternal Broncos Optimist

What part of "after yesterday," confused you? As long as Allen is executing the offense and the team is winning, QB1 is Allen's. Lock has not practiced at all. Why should he get a shot so long as Allen is performing? If Lock wants to start, he should earn it. It shouldn't just be handed to him. Especially when you consider he has not had a single rep with his teammates in more than 8 weeks.

The starting job belongs to Allen. Until Allen proves he can't handle it, Lock has no business being discussed as the starter.
    And with a couple tough defenses coming up after the bye week, I predict Lock will be playing by the first week of December. I don't think Allen will play terribly, I just think that he will be on a short leash given the circumstances of the football team and the lost season we are currently in. Meaning, Lock will get his shot probably before he deserves, but it would be silly not to when we are sitting there at 3-8.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    And with a couple tough defenses coming up after the bye week, I predict Lock will be playing by the first week of December. I don't think Allen will play terribly, I just think that he will be on a short leash given the circumstances of the football team and the lost season we are currently in. Meaning, Lock will get his shot probably before he deserves, but it would be silly not to when we are sitting there at 3-8.
    It's possible Allen is on a short leash, but I don't think they intend to play Lock this year. They didn't have to put Lock on IR. They did. They could have taken him off IR once Flacco went down. They didn't. I believe they think Lock is a project and are treating him as such. It would be difficult to make a case for Lock starting this year considering he has missed more than half a season of practice with his teammates.

Unless Allen completely botches his next start or two or gets hurt, Lock probably won't get to play this year. And he probably shouldn't.
    Eternal Broncos Optimist

It's possible Allen is on a short leash, but I don't think they intend to play Lock this year. They didn't have to put Lock on IR. They did. They could have taken him off IR once Flacco went down. They didn't. I believe they think Lock is a project and are treating him as such. It would be difficult to make a case for Lock starting this year considering he has missed more than half a season of practice with his teammates.

Unless Allen completely botches his next start or two or gets hurt, Lock probably won't get to play this year. And he probably shouldn't.
    I feel like I could make a very convincing case for Lock to play, but everyone has their own opinion. I wont disagree though that the plan might be for Lock to not see the field, which would be another dot point in the long list of reasons why I think John Elway has been completely inept in his role as of late, but that is a discussion for another day.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    I feel like I could make a very convincing case for Lock to play, but everyone has their own opinion. I wont disagree though that the plan might be for Lock to not see the field, which would be another dot point in the long list of reasons why I think John Elway has been completely inept in his role as of late, but that is a discussion for another day.
    I don't really know. Going by how the staff has handled Lock so far this year, it seems like there's no intention to play him. There's certainly time enough that he could get a few starts at the end of the season, but I think the season would have to go downhill more to convince the staff to give him a shot as a rookie.
    Eternal Broncos Optimist

2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones

I really don't understand the hype behind Allen. He had an average game. If Noah doesn't break that tackle or if Sutton doesn't make a great catch his numbers look totally different. Yes, he made a play with his legs once or twice but the offense still stalled in the 4th quarter like it did with Flacco. I didn't see anything special. That's just my opinion though.
    Go Hard or Go Home

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoFanDK View Post
    No, you don't go with a guy because of draft status, how much you are paying him or or some other funny metric. You might get rid of them over pay, but draft status is like putting all your chips on black - if it comes up red you have to live with it!

Once a player is on the team you go with the player that produces. Shanahan cut a blue chip draft pick of his when he saw how well Rod Smith played and McDaniels was mature enough to admit his errant evaluation of Aldolpo Smith and trade him away. Elway cut Paxton Lynch after 4 starts.

Lock looked very unimpressive compared to Paxton Lynch in preseason and Lock will not get to play if Allen continues to be "lucky".
    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoFanDK View Post
    When have you ever seen Lock play against a 1st string NFL defense that game plans against him?
    Lets not forget that NFL teams think less of Lock than they did Osweiler and Lynch!
    Do you realize the contradiction in these two posts? In the first post you said not to use draft status. In the second post you used how teams viewed Lock, meaning where he was drafted, as the way to assess his potential.

Lock will need to play at some point, though I fear by week 17 it will be too late to know what kind of player he is. If Allen keeps winning games then we may not have a high enough pick anyways for a QB. Both the Vikings and Bill's have a top 10 defense, so we'll see what Allen has in him.

The only reason Lock isnt playing right now is because of the IR status. It would have been Lock starting against the Browns if he never hurt his thumb. Let's not try and read too much into that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Do you realize the contradiction in these two posts? In the first post you said not to use draft status. In the second post you used how teams viewed Lock, meaning where he was drafted, as the way to assess his potential.
    I guess you don't understand context!
    Lock in on the Broncos team, as are our other QBs and you go with the best no matter what you paid Flacco or the draft status of Lock.
    Our coaches can assess the actual player every day, and that is the basis of their decisions.

Do you REALLY think that anyone outside of the Broncos think higher of Lock after the preseason than they did during the draft?
    Without seeing him play his draft point is a basis of assessment, but he will have to earn his role, and attacking Allen does not make Lock better, and talking about all the great things that Lock can do when he hasn't done any of them is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by orange crush75 View Post
    The only reason Lock isnt playing right now is because of the IR status. It would have been Lock starting against the Browns if he never hurt his thumb. Let's not try and read too much into that.
    Exactly, he would have been the back up had he not got injured. Seems pretty simple, and now that heís healthy they will work him back in, starting next week.

Once Lock starts practicing, then it will be 100% on him, he needs to make it clear in practice he is better than Rypien ( not just physically but knows the playbook, and can come in a game at the drop of a hat).

Iím rooting for him to win the job, but itís up to him to earn it.

It would be helpful to see what Drew Lock could do with a start before the end of the season. Whether we see him start this year will probably depend on how he does in practice.