Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Bench Lock!

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon30 View Post
    It's possible Allen is on a short leash, but I don't think they intend to play Lock this year. They didn't have to put Lock on IR. They did. They could have taken him off IR once Flacco went down. They didn't. I believe they think Lock is a project and are treating him as such. It would be difficult to make a case for Lock starting this year considering he has missed more than half a season of practice with his teammates.

Unless Allen completely botches his next start or two or gets hurt, Lock probably won't get to play this year. And he probably shouldn't.
    You and I are reading similar things for the Lock situation BUT for different reasons. I think that the Broncos FO realizes that they have shot themselves in the foot with the Offensive line. Fangio has masked their D-Line mishap with Purcell. So IMO I think they are trying to prevent the Sam "I See Dead People" Darnold issues from occurring in Denver with Lock. I hope we see a major Lineman push this off-season (LT & RT). Draft the BPA at either NT, LT or RT in round 1 and start to fix this team. I also hope that we stop our previous trends of drafting as many guys as we can and shift to drafting fewer players but better players for the team. This would include moving up more in the draft and getting more 1st or 2nd Round picks. I'd like to see us trade back into the 1st or trade up in the top of the 2nd to grab a top shelf OG or NT.

Bench anybody who plays for this OL. Lamar Jackson couldn't survive this mess. Hard to understand how our line problems weren't dealt with first.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoFanDK View Post
    I guess you don't understand context!
    Lock in on the Broncos team, as are our other QBs and you go with the best no matter what you paid Flacco or the draft status of Lock.
    Our coaches can assess the actual player every day, and that is the basis of their decisions.

Do you REALLY think that anyone outside of the Broncos think higher of Lock after the preseason than they did during the draft?
    Without seeing him play his draft point is a basis of assessment, but he will have to earn his role, and attacking Allen does not make Lock better, and talking about all the great things that Lock can do when he hasn't done any of them is ridiculous.
    Letís get this straight, you said in the previous post you donít play a guy based on draft status. Now youíre saying you use draft position as basis of assessment when he hasnít played?

I donít care how other teams view Lock after preseason. You said the coaches are the only ones who can assess a player, yet you believe you know based on Lockís preseason play?

You might not recall Lock was moved to #2 during preseason. The coaches disagreed with your opinion of his play based on moving him to #2.

Allen hadnít played a regular season game before last Sunday. Where was the proof before that game? I used Allenís preseason and college film to assess how I thought he could run the offense.

Lock demonstrated the ability to run the offense in preseason whether you agree or not. There wasnít a play Allen made on Sunday Lock couldnít make. Thatís not to take anything away from Allen, just with respect to the talent needed to run those plays. Before Sunday you didnít have the hindsight of seeing Allen play in a regular season game.

Hereís a post you may have missed before Sundayís game:

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Allen wasnít in Broncos camp but he has been in camps and preseason for four seasons. He is comfortable under center and plays best with bootlegs and rollouts, which fits with Scangarelloís offense (Flacco wasnít suited for the offense). He can make all the throws and has a quick release. He reminds me of Chad Kelly. I believe heíll play better than most fans anticipate.
    I donít recall you predicting Allen would exceed expectations.

Weíll see how Allen does over the coming weeks. With respect to Lock and Allen we cannot really assess either until we have more snaps from each. Allen exceeded expectations vs Browns (which I predicted) but itís only one game against a bad team.

It would be a poor decision by the Broncos to not activate Lock and prepare him to play. As we saw from the poor play by Bolles, Allen could have had a quick exit on the 75 yard TD play to Fant. The Broncos need to know what theyíre working with going into 2020, Lock included.
    Last edited by Fantaztic7; 11-05-2019 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BR0NCOFANATIC View Post
    I really don't understand the hype behind Allen. He had an average game. If Noah doesn't break that tackle or if Sutton doesn't make a great catch his numbers look totally different. Yes, he made a play with his legs once or twice but the offense still stalled in the 4th quarter like it did with Flacco. I didn't see anything special. That's just my opinion though.
    1) some people have become so emotionally invested in crapping on Flacco that they were waiting to gush over anything positive that a different QB could do

2) some people have become so frustrated over another season of our Broncos playing like garbage that even a win against another garbage team like the Browns makes them giddy

3) some people either don't watch the games or don't understand what they see when they watch it

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon30 View Post
    What part of "after yesterday," confused you? As long as Allen is executing the offense and the team is winning, QB1 is Allen's. Lock has not practiced at all. Why should he get a shot so long as Allen is performing? If Lock wants to start, he should earn it. It shouldn't just be handed to him. Especially when you consider he has not had a single rep with his teammates in more than 8 weeks.

The starting job belongs to Allen. Until Allen proves he can't handle it, Lock has no business being discussed as the starter.
    Nothing about it confused me. The job was Allen's because of injury. I highly doubt he is our franchise QB, and the team isn't going anywhere this year. So you can best believe that the organization will want to use this time to see if the QB we drafted can show signs of being the long term solution. Not sure what part of that confuses you.
    Last edited by cirehawk; 11-05-2019 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BR0NCOFANATIC View Post
    I really don't understand the hype behind Allen. He had an average game. If Noah doesn't break that tackle or if Sutton doesn't make a great catch his numbers look totally different. Yes, he made a play with his legs once or twice but the offense still stalled in the 4th quarter like it did with Flacco. I didn't see anything special. That's just my opinion though.
    An opinion I share as well. I'm always happy for a win, but my excitement level isn't high over Allen.

Quote Originally Posted by orange crush75 View Post
    The only reason Lock isnt playing right now is because of the IR status. It would have been Lock starting against the Browns if he never hurt his thumb. Let's not try and read too much into that.
    Exactly. I will be very surprised (and highly disappointed to be honest) if Lock doesn't get the start when he's healthy. The only way he doesn't is if we are on a win streak and Allen is seeming like our "Tom Brady" (low pick that turns out to be great), but I doubt that will be the case.

I would hope Elway knows how to handle this. We've been down this road before already with Siemian and Lynch. Allen played well and I hope he continues to do so, but there is a very real possibility that now that there is game film on him the Vikings will put the blueprint out on how to shut him down. Lock should be the priority until there is tangible evidence that he isn't a franchise player.

As long as were not mathematically out of the POs and Allen is getting it done, then Lock should sit. But, Lock has a 99% chance of starting this year as we have a 99% chance of not making the PO's. Maybe the last couple games so that he has all off season to recover from our O-line.

I'm not taking anything from Allen. He did a good job . Sutton made an amazing catch in the endzone that was not the best throw and could have been intercepted. Allen did his job but I'm not gonna go as far to say we've found our guy and we dont need to look at the QBs in the upcoming draft . That being said you dont leave a 2nd rounder that you moved up to get who you said was a top 10 pick sitting on the sidelines while you play a Qb who was on a practice squad . Lock must start by the chargers game . If not it's a massive failure to add to the front office . Maybe if that happens that means they've already decided hes not ready and that in itself is a massive failure on evaluating the Qb position again. Your not gonna tell what a guys career will be with 5 games but you'll know the potential. You will see the tangible things he can and cant do . Leave no stone unturned and Lock should be one of those stones.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Let’s get this straight, you said in the previous post you don’t play a guy based on draft status. Now you’re saying you use draft position as basis of assessment when he hasn’t played?

I don’t care how other teams view Lock after preseason. You said the coaches are the only ones who can assess a player, yet you believe you know based on Lock’s preseason play?

You might not recall Lock was moved to #2 during preseason. The coaches disagreed with your opinion of his play based on moving him to #2.

Allen hadn’t played a regular season game before last Sunday. Where was the proof before that game? I used Allen’s preseason and college film to assess how I thought he could run the offense.

Lock demonstrated the ability to run the offense in preseason whether you agree or not. There wasn’t a play Allen made on Sunday Lock couldn’t make. That’s not to take anything away from Allen, just with respect to the talent needed to run those plays. Before Sunday you didn’t have the hindsight of seeing Allen play in a regular season game.

Here’s a post you may have missed before Sunday’s game:

I don’t recall you predicting Allen would exceed expectations.

We’ll see how Allen does over the coming weeks. With respect to Lock and Allen we cannot really assess either until we have more snaps from each. Allen exceeded expectations vs Browns (which I predicted) but it’s only one game against a bad team.

It would be a poor decision by the Broncos to not activate Lock and prepare him to play. As we saw from the poor play by Bolles, Allen could have had a quick exit on the 75 yard TD play to Fant. The Broncos need to know what they’re working with going into 2020, Lock included.
    You are absolutely right that I did not and do not expect Allen to be a major success, and neither do I Lock. The fact is that if a QB is not drafted in the first third of the first round of the draft, chances are in the single digit percentage that they will match even Andy Dalton level.

What Allen has right now that Lock does not is a win in the NFL, and some mode of proof that he could belong. Minchu has been the great story this season but it seems to have run out of steam, and Allen's success likely will. Before Sunday's game the outside projection for Lock should be higher than for Allen, but for the time being the job as starting QB for the Broncos is Allen's job to loose. We are in the same situation as with Siemian and Lynch - Lynch should have bene the better of the two, but he could not perform the job as well.

Lock deserves no favours - he has to win the backup job and if he can take Allen's job. He should not be given it to appease Lock fanboys.

Btw. the worst that could happen for Elway is to play Lock and have him stink up the place. If he goes out and has 5 int games like Haskins then Elway's seat will suddenly become very hot

Having him sit on IR will probably help him lose some game skills, and he will definitely get rusty.
    (Nobody likes a rusty Lock)

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoFanDK View Post
    You are absolutely right that I did not and do not expect Allen to be a major success, and neither do I Lock. The fact is that if a QB is not drafted in the first third of the first round of the draft, chances are in the single digit percentage that they will match even Andy Dalton level.

What Allen has right now that Lock does not is a win in the NFL, and some mode of proof that he could belong. Minchu has been the great story this season but it seems to have run out of steam, and Allen's success likely will. Before Sunday's game the outside projection for Lock should be higher than for Allen, but for the time being the job as starting QB for the Broncos is Allen's job to loose. We are in the same situation as with Siemian and Lynch - Lynch should have bene the better of the two, but he could not perform the job as well.

Lock deserves no favours - he has to win the backup job and if he can take Allen's job. He should not be given it to appease Lock fanboys.

Btw. the worst that could happen for Elway is to play Lock and have him stink up the place. If he goes out and has 5 int games like Haskins then Elway's seat will suddenly become very hot
    The temperature of Elway's seat will be significantly higher if he doesn't play Lock rather than Lock struggling. Everyone should expect Lock to struggle initially.

By the way, Lock already won the backup job, back in August. He is, by all rights, ahead of Allen on the depth chart. There is no "appeasing fanboys", Lock earned it, he has a higher ceiling, there is more invested in him, and he is the better talent. He just has to get worked up to speed over the next few weeks before he regains his rightful spot on the field, ahead of both Rypien and Allen.
    Last edited by Papa-pwn; 11-07-2019 at 05:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    The temperature of Elway's seat will be significantly higher if he doesn't play Lock rather than Lock struggling. Everyone should expect Lock to struggle initially.

By the way, Lock already won the backup job, back in August. He is, by all rights, ahead of Allen on the depth chart. There is no "appearing fanboys", Lock earned it, he has a higher ceiling, there is more invested in him, and he is the better talent.
    The game plan had training wheels. Lock could have likely played as well or better than Allen did.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post

By the way, Lock already won the backup job, back in August. He is, by all rights, ahead of Allen on the depth chart. There is no "appeasing fanboys", Lock earned it, he has a higher ceiling, there is more invested in him, and he is the better talent. He just has to get worked up to speed over the next few weeks before he regains his rightful spot on the field, ahead of both Rypien and Allen.
    I'm sorry to burst your fantacy bubble, but Brandon Allen and Drew Lock never competed in the off season for the backup spot, as Allen was not with the team. Brandon Allen has been the #2 for as long as he has been with the team, and so far it does not seem like anyone in charge of the team is desperate to get Lock on the field.