Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Allen's Success: Good or Bad Development?

So it sounds like Brandon Allen will be the Broncos' starting QB for the next few games, at least. Hypothetically, let's say he starts 4 games, wins 3 of them, and finishes with a completion rate around 60% and a strong TD/INT ratio. What would that mean for the Broncos moving forward? Should they keep starting Allen and leave Lock on the bench? Are you comfortable at that point thinking Allen might be the answer at QB? And what would happen to Lock in that scenario? In a way, Allen's success (and potential success) could actually make things difficult for the franchise. Or do you think Lock is going to get a solid chance no matter what?

This is a great question for sure. I've wondered the very same a few times myself. What if we do go 3-1 with Allen? Then what?
    Former Colorado resident, stuck in Texas. Broncos fan since 1987

I don't really consider his game against the Browns much of a "success". He was successful in the sens that he did not turn the ball over and we won the game, but his play was more lucky than good. If he builds off of it, that's another thing, and that can only be seen as a positive development.

However, if he plays against Minnesota and Buffalo like he did against Cleveland, he might lead the team in interceptions by December. His TD to sutton is a pick 99/100 times and the TD to Fant was simply a great play by the TE combined with awful tackling.

We can't really play the "if" game, but swing the Sutton play the other way and it drops his passer rating almost 50 points. If just that one play swings the other way, like it normally would, he's at 55% completion, 170 yards for the game. If Fant is tackled by the second defender who gets to him, Allen's yardage drops close to 100 yards for the game.

Allen has upside as a backup IMO, but we got best case scenario Allen last Sunday, and even that was nearly disastrous. If he doesn't make significant strides, he might not even make it to the Buffalo game.

Winning can't be the only judge of what we do with him going forward. We might go, for example 4-0 over the next 4 games with him.

We found a keeper if he is playing at a high level by sustaining drives, protecting the ball, and scoring.

If he does just enough, say protects the ball... while the D keeps opponents under 15 points a game... well then what do we have? IMO a great backup..
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

If Allen is playing good he keeps his job.

If Allen is playing poorly than we take a look at another young QB.

To me that is more important than wins or losses.

For example if we winning by a score of 9-6 or 13-3 but the QB has a rating under 50 and more Ints than TDs than that Qb should be benched even if we are winning games due to great defense.
    All I want for Christmas is a Bronco QB controversy

Interesting question indeed.

I think that Allen is a 4th year backup "waived" player for a reason, though not saying he can't progress. But unless someone has strong credentials from the get go, you put them into action with a goal to develop/mentor...but not just hand the job to.

Lock was drafted where he was, to compete for the starting job. Just because another backup wins a game, even two, should not grant him the job. Say Allen plays lights out for 3 or 4 games, if nothing else you think, "good, we have competition"! Lets be clear, Allen beat a team that seems to be imploding, and as mentioned, he got some help with those TD passes. But he did throw them.

If I can be positive, I would say that Allen might be solidifying his role as a backup next year. It will be up to him if he deserves the starter role, but at this time, I feel it is far too early to think about it.

Whereas Lock needs to play, this season. Lets develop 2 QBs. My assumption is that Lock will win the job for next season, but he too needs to prove himself.

Conversely, we need to know that at least one of them has enough to become our starter. If not, the offseason hunt begins yet again.

Let them both play!

If we win the next 4 games undoubtedly Allen will have played a role in it. If our team can beat the Bill's and Vikings there probably shouldn't be any changed made to the starting lineup

Imo, it really depends on his play in crunch time. Say on 3rd downs and the red zone. Those would've, could've, should've ints and missed tackles happen every game in the NFL. But, if he can keep drives rolling with his feet and quick passes for third down conversions, then he should get a chance to play until he hits his ceiling and that is what were looking for. Just exactly how good can BA play. The Viking game should give us a good indication as to his future with the Broncos.

Allen playing good and making the 'Decision 2.0' a thing for next offseason would be better to me rather than having questions still at QB and the Broncos doing their usual "let's add Mariotta, Winston, Newton," or any other mid level vet to have the job because we're still in win now mode. If Allen plays well, they know what to build on for the off season while hopefully developing Lock.

I read somewhere, possibly in the Denver Post, that Lock is unlikely to start until we are mathematically eliminated from playoff contention. I don't know if there is any merit in this view, but it would tally with the Broncos management seemingly wanting Lock to play this season only in the least pressurised circumstances. Or at least where Lock is given the freedom to make mistakes.

From this I surmise that Allen will get at least two more starts, and will only get more if we are in the hunt for a playoff spot.

Quote Originally Posted by GMTD View Post
    I read somewhere, possibly in the Denver Post, that Lock is unlikely to start until we are mathematically eliminated from playoff contention. I don't know if there is any merit in this view, but it would tally with the Broncos management seemingly wanting Lock to play this season only in the least pressurised circumstances. Or at least where Lock is given the freedom to make mistakes.

From this I surmise that Allen will get at least two more starts, and will only get more if we are in the hunt for a playoff spot.
    I hope that's not the case. Two concerns arise:
    1) You don't want your future QB to have pressure??
    2) This should not be about the playoffs anymore. This team could theoretically get there, but we should be more concerned about the long term of this group, and part of that is serious assessment of who we have.....and IF we need to look for someone else this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    I don't really consider his game against the Browns much of a "success". He was successful in the sens that he did not turn the ball over and we won the game, but his play was more lucky than good. If he builds off of it, that's another thing, and that can only be seen as a positive development.

However, if he plays against Minnesota and Buffalo like he did against Cleveland, he might lead the team in interceptions by December. His TD to sutton is a pick 99/100 times and the TD to Fant was simply a great play by the TE combined with awful tackling.

We can't really play the "if" game, but swing the Sutton play the other way and it drops his passer rating almost 50 points. If just that one play swings the other way, like it normally would, he's at 55% completion, 170 yards for the game. If Fant is tackled by the second defender who gets to him, Allen's yardage drops close to 100 yards for the game.

Allen has upside as a backup IMO, but we got best case scenario Allen last Sunday, and even that was nearly disastrous. If he doesn't make significant strides, he might not even make it to the Buffalo game.

Not all of Allen’s plays were “lucky”. Fant’s 75 yard TD was also the result of a pass that hit his hands in stride. That’s part of the play and didn’t have anything to do with luck. Keep in mind he had to stand in the pocket knowing the defender was coming free to level him after Bolles missed the block. There was a first down even if Fant didn’t get to the end zone, so the drive would have continued for at least 3 more downs. Saying what his yards/rating would have been doesn’t account for other plays that would have been run.

The rush yards by Allen weren’t luck. One run put the offense in a manageable down and distance, another for a 1st down. The slant to Sutton wasn’t luck, it was a good pass for a 1st down. The pass to Sutton for the TD was off, Allen said so after the game. That’s not a pick 99 times because you’re putting Sutton against Ward. Do you think Ward wins a jump ball 99 times vs Sutton? In 100 attempts Allen wouldn’t put the ball inside and short.

While Cleveland is a bad team overall, their defense is #6 in pass yards/game allowed. All things considered he did about as well as anyone could ask. With one game behind him to get out the “jitters” and extra practice with the bye, we’ll see what he can do.

I think he’s a backup talent, nothing wrong with having a solid guy on the roster. If he’s been overlooked for four years, glad he landed in Denver.

Can't hurt to go into the bye week with some game tape on him so the coaches can work on areas of concern.

He's healthy, mobile and seems to elevate the players around him. His draft position and the fact that two teams passed on him the last couple of years means squat. He's here now and the sky is the limit. If we get James back, better yet. Not really sure why anyone would want to see Lock behind this O-line...

[

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post

We can't really play the what if game yet here you are playing the what if game. Calling his game "nearly disastrous" is such an incredible stretch.

Allen did what was asked of him in his first NFL start. He didn't set the world on fire but he played a good game. No mental gymnastics can take that away from him.

I don't think he is the future in any sense but I'm also not going to sit here and discredit his performance on Sunday by trying to take away his big plays from his stat line.

Even if Allen goes 3-1, I think you have to start Lock. The Broncos have to see what they have in him or at least get an idea.

If Allen is winning three out of the next four games, then let him keep the job for the starting job, as it is obviously working. I expect Lock to start practicing next week, so the problem may come to a head if Allen falters as the starter.