Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    The statistics wont matter, the eye test will. After game 1 the statistics would indicate Allen played really well, he didn't. I will say that he didn't ruin the game with silly turnovers like other young quarterbacks in the NFL are doing (Allen), but he didn't flash anything more than backup potential to me. What I think happens is Allen and the offense gets killed in the next 2 outings, we lose, and Lock is playing by the first week of December.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    The statistics wont matter, the eye test will. After game 1 the statistics would indicate Allen played really well, he didn't. I will say that he didn't ruin the game with silly turnovers like other young quarterbacks in the NFL are doing (Allen), but he didn't flash anything more than backup potential to me. What I think happens is Allen and the offense gets killed in the next 2 outings, we lose, and Lock is playing by the first week of December.
    Back-up potential? It was one start. You can't say whether he's just a back up on one start. Brady's stat line in his first start was similar to Allen's. 13/23 168 yards, no TDs, no INTs. Guess Brady is just a back up potential guy.

Let the kid show more than one game before we go saying for sure he isn't anything special.

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon30 View Post
    Back-up potential? It was one start. You can't say whether he's just a back up on one start. Brady's stat line in his first start was similar to Allen's. 13/23 168 yards, no TDs, no INTs. Guess Brady is just a back up potential guy.

Let the kid show more than one game before we go saying for sure he isn't anything special.
    Again, the eye test, I don't care for statistics. I like that he stepped in, remained calm, didn't put the team in any bad situations, and done just enough to not lose the game. I liked what I seen on 2 throws specifically which were flash kind of throws, but beyond that, I didn't see it. I always love the comparisons to a guy like Brady having mediocre statistics in his first start, what about all the other failed quarterbacks who have played and had bad stat lines in their first starts ? Guys who have amounted to nothing at all ? People always love the outlier. Anyway, Allen had me excited, but I didn't see anything which suggests anything more than capable backup, which he proved he can be in his one career start.

I'm not sure why fans think Brandon Allen can't be a legit starter. So what if he wasn't drafted in the 1st. I see he has much potential and has experience. The guy can throw and move. One man's trash can be another man's treasure.

If he wins the next 3 out of 4, keep him as the starter until we are mathematically out. Then try lock.

If he wins 4 out of 4, keep him as the starter for this year and next year. When I mean win, I mean legit wins, not the defense bailing out Tebow wins. Those don't count.

Interesting read on the reason we have QB problems.

yahoo.com/sports/john-elway-hall-fame-quarterback-090026535.html
    Last edited by colowoz; 11-08-2019 at 09:36 PM.

Brandon Allen showed that a quarterback with some mobility is essential in today's NFL. Offensive lines aren't what they used to be and quarterbacks today have to be able to move and make throws on the run.

While it's unclear whether he's a starter in the league, I think, at least, he's a legit backup who can fill in and help a team win some games.

I still want to see Drew Lock. And, I would not be opposed to bringing in another young, mobile quarterback, either via free agency or the draft. I don't want another older, immobile quarterback. We have to develop our own quarterback, not take unwanted castoffs from other teams.

I've heard the plan is to let Lock play the last 3 games of the season

It's not uncommon for a new quarterback to have unsustainable success his first 4-5 games (see Trevor Siemian, Gardner Minshew). Defenses don't have any tape on them, and they're not really amped to raise their game.

Once DCs have a decent amount of tape they often figure the new guys out and they never recover.

Allen didn't look all that great in his first game. The Browns just looked ill-prepared, poorly coached, and poorly disciplined. Throw in the altitude and road environment, and that was the difference.

Hoping Lock has been watching enough tape and studying the playbook enough to make a decent showing in the final six games.

Honestly, part of me wanted to lose out with Allen.

Denver would receive a higher draft pick for each round,
    Lock would have a year under his belt with newly acquired OL talent.

Instead we get this thread.

It was one game against one of the worst defenses in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by PunchDrunk View Post
    That's probably what the Ravens thought... Lots of talent on that team! Our D wrecked them and our O surprised them.

The timing of this QB change couldn't have come at a better time. The team looked inspired, the bye gives the offense a chance to fine tune and the defense a much needed rest. Let's go get a W in Minny!
    [

Quote Originally Posted by PunchDrunk View Post
    The Browns are actually ranked #6 against the pass this season.

However I agree, it is only one game. Hopefully he can continue his success, but the upcoming games will likely be tougher.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootleg View Post
    The Browns are actually ranked #6 against the pass this season.

However I agree, it is only one game. Hopefully he can continue his success, but the upcoming games will likely be tougher.
    Yeah no doubt they have a pretty serious secondary not to mention that they have Olivia Vernon and Myles Garrett pass rushing.

Especially going against a very weak Denver Broncos offensive line. Although Devante booker and Andy Janovich made some Key blocks last week but its too bad Devante booker is not the Running Back that Royce Freeman is because Royce Freeman does not have the blocking skills that Devante booker has.
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 11-10-2019 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny_Quest View Post
    It's not uncommon for a new quarterback to have unsustainable success his first 4-5 games (see Trevor Siemian, Gardner Minshew). Defenses don't have any tape on them, and they're not really amped to raise their game.

Once DCs have a decent amount of tape they often figure the new guys out and they never recover.

Allen didn't look all that great in his first game. The Browns just looked ill-prepared, poorly coached, and poorly disciplined. Throw in the altitude and road environment, and that was the difference.

Hoping Lock has been watching enough tape and studying the playbook enough to make a decent showing in the final six games.
    Lock better not be playing the final six games. He hasn't practiced once this season. Do you really expect him to go out having one week of practice and do anything at all?

He'll be completely rusty and have zero chemistry with anyone. You want him to start while having almost no reps with the team, he'll more than likely bomb this year and everyone will be ready to give him the boot sooner than we did with Lynch.

Setup for complete failure if they start him the last 6 games.
    Last edited by Megalodon30; 11-10-2019 at 01:04 PM.