Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Justin Simmons

Justin Simmons

He is playing at an elite level. He will make pro-bowl this year, I have no doubt. When are we locking him up? I'm starting to think that it will take Kareem Jackson's contract to extend him.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    He is playing at an elite level. He will make pro-bowl this year, I have no doubt. When are we locking him up? I'm starting to think that it will take Kareem Jackson's contract to extend him.
    Cecil Lammey reported last week that team officials have reached out to his agent. Whatever that means but hopefully it gets done sooner rather than later however it wouldn’t surprise me to see him hit the free agent market.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    The odds are higher he hits the free agent market. Elway should have negotiated a deal earlier this season after creating cap space. Simmons will command more than Kareem Jackson’s contract. The highest-paid safety in the league right now is Tennessee's Kevin Byard at $14.1 million per year. Next is Landon Collins at $14M. Kareem Jackson is currently the fifth-highest paid safety, earning an average of $11M. It will be difficult for the Broncos to have Jackson, Simmons, Callahan and Harris Jr in the secondary (especially with the huge contract awarded to Ja’Wuan James). The longer Elway waits the harder it will be to sign Simmons.

We are going to have the cap room to give him a good deal and I think we should. In Fangios system he can be a pro bowler every year

I’m not banking on him being back next year. This is a classic move of Elway’s. We’re going to go with Parks who isn’t the same type of Safety as Simmons, but since he’s hurt will be cheaper and that’s “good enough”.

I can’t see both Simmons and Harris walking. We can’t afford both... Simmons is a must tho, for he’s an ideal fit for Fangio’s scheme. I think team is close enough to competing, so I doubt he walks to go to a winning environment... money talks.

If the Broncos want to they can afford both Simmons and Harris for the 2020 season. Harris' cap # can easily be 3M less than this season and they can give him a contract of 4yrs 60M, 30M GTD ... give him 16-20M signing bonus. Simmons contract could be 5yrs 53M 25M GTD 15M signing bonus.
    Harris' contract can be structured for a cap hit ~10M the first season... he is currently ~13M cap hit. Simmons cap goes up substantially since he is less than 1M currently. His cap hit still could be ~6-8M in 2020.
    Even franchise tag in 2019 for a S in 2019 was 11.15M; 10.6M per year with 25M GTD is a good deal, these deals are doable IF the Broncos want to do it.

They won’t keep both Harris and Simmons. Simmons is just now hitting his prime and is one draft pick Elway actually nailed. Extend him ASAP!

Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    If the Broncos want to they can afford both Simmons and Harris for the 2020 season. Harris' cap # can easily be 3M less than this season and they can give him a contract of 4yrs 60M, 30M GTD ... give him 16-20M signing bonus. Simmons contract could be 5yrs 53M 25M GTD 15M signing bonus.
    Harris' contract can be structured for a cap hit ~10M the first season... he is currently ~13M cap hit. Simmons cap goes up substantially since he is less than 1M currently. His cap hit still could be ~6-8M in 2020.
    Even franchise tag in 2019 for a S in 2019 was 11.15M; 10.6M per year with 25M GTD is a good deal, these deals are doable IF the Broncos want to do it.
    Between callahan and Jackson they’ll count almost 19 million against the cap in 2020, Harris will command at least 16mil while Simmons will command 14mil.
    That is 30mil plus another 19mill which is basically 50mil towards the secondary! Yeah dude it’s not happening.

Callahan $8,333,333
    Jackson $11,000,000

I can't do Harris Jr anymore.
    I'm tired of his hand raising nonsense after he allows a catch.
    His contract timing pre-draft.
    Plus, his age.

I'd rather re-allocate Harris' salary to Simmons
    and draft a CB in R3a, Darnay Holmes UCLA and
    S Richard LeCounte III Georgia, R3b.

Darnay Holmes / Kareem Jackson / Isaac Yiadom
    Duke Dawson Jr. / Davontae Harris
    Kareem Jackson / LeCounte III
    Justin Simmons / Will Parks

Keeping Simmons is a no brainer. I would also keep Parks. He is a solid player as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mozzerpete View Post
    Plus, his age.

Vic Fangio knows corner backs and he’s done a fine job of developing corners throughout his career. Since we have Vic Fangio I think it will be a safe bet to allow Chris Harris Jr to Walk via free agency

Quote Originally Posted by mozzerpete View Post
    Plus, his age.

Used to love the guy.... but he changed... same with me...done now,,
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

This went under the radar in September:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/20...contract-talks

Broncos, Justin Simmons Had Contract Talks
    September 22nd, 2019 at 8:25am CST • By Rory Parks

The Broncos and starting free safety Justin Simmons briefly engaged in contract talks before the regular season started but have since tabled them, as Ryan O’Halloran of the Denver Post writes. Simmons is eligible for free agency in March, and he previously stated that he would like to remain in Denver on a long-term basis.

It sounds as if the two sides could reopen talks at any time. GM John Elway has made a habit of hammering out extensions with players in-season, and with seven current starters playing out their contract years, it makes sense for Elway to use some of the $13.6MM in cap space created by Joe Flacco‘s recent restructure to take care of one or two of those players before the season ends.

Elway and new head coach Vic Fangio are fans of Simmons, who may not be a household name but who is a young and promising talent with the type of versatility that Fangio prioritizes. The 2016 third-rounder was one of just three players in the league to play all of his club’s defensive snaps in 2018, and he has posted seven interceptions in his brief career.

With respect to getting a deal done during the season, Simmons said, “[w]e’ll see where we’re at (later in the season) and if something is going to get done, it will. If not, we’ll see where we’re at after the season. Not worried about it.”

Sounds like Simmons bet on himself and is going to win big for it. He's easily a top 5 safety and will get paid like one. Unfortunately it sounds like Elway missed the window on him.